Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vehicles

What general era was your vehichle made:

• 30s or earlier

Votes: 38 15.8%
  • 40s

Votes: 26 10.8%
  • 50s

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • 60s

Votes: 52 21.6%
  • 70s-90s

Votes: 64 26.6%
  • New with classic features

Votes: 47 19.5%

• Total voters
F6FCD1E4-7DA1-4235-A839-AA01049DFC3E-291-000000A6AFB9C281_zpsb7847293.jpg
5E82D7A5-F51B-4781-A0E9-45BC75335FA9-804-000000D0E12FC9B0_zpsvx3j56xp.jpg
. ......something you don't see everyday, a 1966 Studebaker Daytona Sport Sedan. I've owned Margaret for three years now, the result of a 40 year search! All Studebakers today are rare, and this is a rare car amount Studebakers. Only 580 were built, and a long going club roster shows 33 survivors, with about half of these roadworthy. This is the only example with this color combo. She drives like a dream, ex. California black plate with 70K miles. She is my everyday car, regular issue plates (really freaks out the car nuts!). This car gets admiring looks everywhere.

Those are pretty rare. I have not seen one in a long time.

Try craigslist. You should find something there.
This is as close as I can get out here.
:http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/4963745440.html

I'm still on the lookout for one of these (preferably a 3/4 ton 4x4), and I've been pretty hot on it. Seen a lot of 1987-1991 models, I'd prefer a pre-1986 because I don't really have any experience with throttle bodies. Being a GM man, how would you rate the early TBI fuel system? I have heard mixed reviews. Should it affect my decision?

I'm still on the lookout for one of these (preferably a 3/4 ton 4x4), and I've been pretty hot on it. Seen a lot of 1987-1991 models, I'd prefer a pre-1986 because I don't really have any experience with throttle bodies. Being a GM man, how would you rate the early TBI fuel system? I have heard mixed reviews. Should it affect my decision?

The C/K suburban 4 wheel drive pre-1986 should have a nice 350 V-8 with a four barrel carburetor. I am not sure if it is a conventional carb or an electronic quadrojet. In either case, you could replace the carb with a conventional one if you don't like it. I have the electronic Quadrojet on my brougham and aside from the TPS going out on it once, it has been a decent carb for that engine.

The TBI systems back then were not exactly new as Cadillac had been using them for a while in their cars. In the Cadillac though, the TBI was not the problem---the engine was. I wouldn't worry much about the TBI because they are, in my experience reliable and perform well. They are ignored by hotrodders because they have some limited performance potential but you want a suburban not a drag racer anyway. :p Also the TBI fuel mixture can be adjusted more precisely through the ECM (engine control module) than you can manually with a regular carb. Let the computer do the work. :p

The choice is really up to you. It just depends on what YOU feel comfortable working on. The ECM gives you fault codes that narrow down your fixing problems but the regular carb is something you are familar with. This doesn't look too scary though:
tbi_top_view.jpg
:p

The C/K suburban 4 wheel drive pre-1986 should have a nice 350 V-8 with a four barrel carburetor. I am not sure if it is a conventional carb or an electronic quadrojet. In either case, you could replace the carb with a conventional one if you don't like it. I have the electronic Quadrojet on my brougham and aside from the TPS going out on it once, it has been a decent carb for that engine.

The TBI systems back then were not exactly new as Cadillac had been using them for a while in their cars. In the Cadillac though, the TBI was not the problem---the engine was. I wouldn't worry much about the TBI because they are, in my experience reliable and perform well. They are ignored by hotrodders because they have some limited performance potential but you want a suburban not a drag racer anyway. :p Also the TBI fuel mixture can be adjusted more precisely through the ECM (engine control module) than you can manually with a regular carb. Let the computer do the work. :p

The choice is really up to you. It just depends on what YOU feel comfortable working on. The ECM gives you fault codes that narrow down your fixing problems but the regular carb is something you are familar with. This doesn't look too scary though:
tbi_top_view.jpg

Thanks for the input. I figured the TBI wouldn't be that big of a deal.
I like everything, except for the placement of the distributor. :p

Renault

One Too Many

tbi_top_view.jpg

One of the best vehicles I ever owned was a 1971 3-door Suburban (carry all). I rolled that truck one night going hunting. (1987). Walked 71/2 miles to an empty camp. Turned around a walked back. Crossed 100yd wide creek 4 times. Spent the night curled up next to the carnage. Next morning we uprighted it, more trans fluid and oil. Reconnected the batt. And drove it to the ranch. Twisted in the middle. Left front and right rear tires trading off touching ground!!! LOL. I cried when that truck went away.

Good adventure story Renault.

460b9f657f9693442aede1c6ecaebf9a.jpg
I went up to the old home place this morning. I thought a few of you might appreciate this. My granddad's old (1947 I think) Ford 8N tractor. My uncle restored it a few years back.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One of the best vehicles I ever owned was a 1971 3-door Suburban (carry all). I rolled that truck one night going hunting. (1987). Walked 71/2 miles to an empty camp. Turned around a walked back. Crossed 100yd wide creek 4 times. Spent the night curled up next to the carnage. Next morning we uprighted it, more trans fluid and oil. Reconnected the batt. And drove it to the ranch. Twisted in the middle. Left front and right rear tires trading off touching ground!!! LOL. I cried when that truck went away.

Great story. Reminds me of a couple "adventures" I was a part of back in the day. :)

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good adventure story Renault.

I went up to the old home place this morning. I thought a few of you might appreciate this. My granddad's old (1947 I think) Ford 8N tractor. My uncle restored it a few years back.

Those old 8N's will last forever.

Great story, Renault! I love that body style. I am sure that was a sad one to see go. Glad you were able to walk away!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld