Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
thunderw21 said:
I like that Stetson tie.

And (gasp) some vintage clip-on bow ties. I love 'em:
bowties002.jpg

Billy

Love the bow ties. I have scores of clip-ons. Their designs can be just as original as the neckties. There's that 'clip-on' stigma, though. But the fact that there were zillions made back then tells me that men really liked them.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Is that a Boy Scout Bowtie or is it just a Fleur de Lis bowtie? Interesting. :D

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm sure it's just a Fleur de Lis as it is/was used ornamentally (according to wikipedia). I have another one with shields on it, kind of reminds me of the Strategic Air Command (SAC) shield.

bowtie.jpg

180px-Shield_Strategic_Air_Command.png

Guess it's the lightning bolt. Maybe I'm crazy...
Billy

Jovan

Suspended
Other two besides the middle aren't necessarily vintage, but I suspect the Brooks Brothers one is from the 1960s. If anyone can help me date it by the tag, I'd appreciate it.

zomgtehties.jpg

brookstag.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
vintage Glasses and tie clip

I'm going to have some prescription transition lenses put into these. I got them today at an antique store for 5 bucks. They're currently bifocals, but the bifocal bit is very small and round, not like most. When did they do this? How old are they, do you think? '30s? '40s?
glasses1.jpg

And then I got this tie clip, because it was just so cool. It's not exactly the standard dog tie clip I usually see. It's going to get worn a lot.
dogtieclip.jpg

The real Henry

Practically Family
I'd say the glasses are from the 30s or early 40s.

Most 20-30s glasses have completly round rims. I also think that this kind earpieces got out of style in the late 40s.

Are you going to you use it?

Regards,
Henrik

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Sure am. Prescription lenses with the transition to sunglasses thing. I wonder if I can get it to go to green in light?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I have almost the same pair. Mine are 1930's and are minus the extra rubber on the cable temple ends that yours have. They are my favorite eyeglasses (wearing them right now). I paid $40 dollars for mine and thought I'd found a bargain, but you topped that! Congratulations on a real deal. I love the tie clip too. :)
1930swirecabletempleglavq2.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Bulldog Tie Clip

Dinerman said:
I'm going to have some prescription transition lenses put into these. I got them today at an antique store for 5 bucks. They're currently bifocals, but the bifocal bit is very small and round, not like most. When did they do this? How old are they, do you think? '30s? '40s?
glasses1.jpg

And then I got this tie clip, because it was just so cool. It's not exactly the standard dog tie clip I usually see. It's going to get worn a lot.
dogtieclip.jpg

Mate there are blokes who would kill you for that in Sydney - Dogs supporters - followers of the Canterbury Bankstown Rugby League club - the Bulldogs. I can't believe it because their colours happen to be blue and white like your trinket.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Thanks all.
I think I got such a good deal on the glasses because the price wasn't marked. The shopkeeper phoned the seller, who gave the price. I think that if the seller had known exactly what we were asking about, they would have said more.

This was the same antique store where a few months ago I found a trunk of 2 dozen '30s hat blocks for 200 bucks. I went this time with the money in hand, prepared to buy them, but the booth was empty, and no one knew what had become of them.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Mickey Mouse

Here's an odd one I got from OFAS a little while back.

tie.jpg

They said it's from the 30's, and the Mickey has the pie eyes, so just maybe...
In any case, it should be fun to wear at Disneyland. :)

Cheers!

Dan

Rooster

Practically Family
thunderw21 said:
I like that Stetson tie.

Here are a few new ones:
ties.jpg

And (gasp) some vintage clip-on bow ties. I love 'em:
bowties002.jpg

Last but not least, a nice little USAAF tie clasp:
USAAFtieclasp.jpg

Billy
Oh man, I'm diggin' tha USAAF tie clasp, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one of those.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
"New" Cufflinks

I came across these two single cufflinks in a box at an antique store up in Ketchikan, AK. I really like both of them, even though they don't match.

IMG_3554.jpg

it's hard to see in the picture, but the pink splotches are roses.
IMG_3553.jpg

I'm thinking '20s or '30s, which seems to go with what the shop owner said (they were her uncle's, I think, and she was abou 60) but this is only my second set of links, so would anyone else make a guess?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust