Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Very nice D-Man. I got a pair of AE brown wing tips off OFAS for $19 plus shipping a while back and they were better then new, perfectly broken in.
I'm a 10 1/2 D which is like 7 1/4 in the hat world lots of competition.
Bob.

Duck

Practically Family
Great looking shoes, Dinerman! I know how you feel about finding shoes in your size, as I wear a 13B.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They look nice, DM. Might I suggest shoe trees (try Marshall's or TJMaxx), wiping them down with a damp paper towel a couple of times, then a good polish. Personally, I would also relace them to straight lacing rather than the criss-cross as they are now, but that's up to you.

Also, if you look at the size as visible on the interior of the right shoe (pictured, left shoe as worn) it looks to be "12 D/B". If my eyes aren't deceiving me, that would make the shoes actually a size 12D rather than 12B. The "D/B" designation indicates what is known as a combination last where the heel is narrower than the forefoot. This is common on better brands like Johnston & Murphy, Florsheim, Nettleton and Alden. Alden usually indicates the width the other way around (eg, "B/D" rather than "D/B"). The heel width is always listed as two sizes narrower than the "actual" width on every pair I've ever seen.

I think you have a fine pair of shoes. What brand are they?

Dinerman said:
...I was surprised to find these shoes in my exact size, a 12 B. What do you think?

IMG_3897.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Looking at them again, I guess they are a D, but they sure don't feel like they are. The biggest problem I have finding shoes is that my feet slosh around in them, side to side. Whatever size they are, they sure do fit.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here's a start for the ties.
botanytie.jpg

handloomedtie1.jpg

the second one is a Mission- Hand weavers Old Santa Fe New Mexico

greentie-1.jpg

no makers mark, but it's very short.

AlanC

Dinerman said:
The biggest problem I have finding shoes is that my feet slosh around in them, side to side. Whatever size they are, they sure do fit.

Yes, I have the same problem. I'm a narrow width, too. The important thing is that these do fit, regardless of stated size.

Nice hats!

Dr Doran

Lovely ties, Big Man.

Here is a favorite. Perhaps one of you experts can tell me about it. Sorry that I'm in the shot, rather than the tie lying flat on a surface or hanging; the picture was originally taken for the hat thread, then I thought it might look good here.

DSCF2357.jpg

From another thread:

AlanC said:
^I really like that Sambrook Witting paisley, and especially for the Indian provenance. Can you post a detailed picture of it?

Here are a couple close-up pics of the Army Navy Stores tie i found in a charity shop today. Here's what i had to say about it.

Baron Kurtz said:
Made for Army Navy Stores Ltd. Bombay, Calcutta (The Mumbai store was the last in India and closed in 1952, so this tie dates to before that, but after 1934, when the company name changed to Army & Navy Stores Ltd. Given the shape of the tie i'm guessing mid-late 1930s) by Sambrook Witting & Co Ltd. Funnily enough it was made in England in an Indian pattern and sent out to India to be sold.

Maybe the Congress Party had a point after all, eh?

bk

ArmyNavy1.jpg

ArmyNavy2.jpg

bk

Doran said:
Lovely ties, Big Man.

Here is a favorite. Perhaps one of you experts can tell me about it. Sorry that I'm in the shot, rather than the tie lying flat on a surface or hanging; the picture was originally taken for the hat thread, then I thought it might look good here.

DSCF2357.jpg

Is it one of those photo ties? What does it say on the label? I have several that are like that. A speedboat on the water, a guy fishing and a few others I can't remember now.
I'll have to see if I have photos somewhere.

Regards,

J

Dr Doran

I don't think it is a photo unless it was a photo and then was handpainted from the photo or something like that. No label.

I do have an "Ardley of Hollywood Originals by Phillipe Hand Painted" tie though. Perhaps I'll photograph that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe