Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

in/y

One of the Regulars
Thanks, in doing some research I saw an ad in a 1930 Popular Mechanics mag for one just like this one. It's probably from sometime in the 30s based on the type of plug used on it. I'll have to experiment using it on some ties I won't mind getting ruined if I don't do it right. I plugged it in and it gets pretty hot, too hot to touch with a bare hand.

fedoralover

Do keep us posted on your tie restorer experiments.

Alex

Practically Family
IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Do keep us posted on your tie restorer experiments.

Okay, I went to Goodwill and found this very wrinkled and UGLY tie. So it was perfect to experiment on, if it got ruined no big deal. Here's a few pics of the before shot, ironing process and the end result. It wasn't perfect in the end, but totally acceptable, especially considering how it started out. The thing does work.
DSCN0560.jpg

DSCN0563.jpg

DSCN0566.jpg

fedoralover

Alex

Practically Family
Okay, I went to Goodwill and found this very wrinkled and UGLY tie. So it was perfect to experiment on, if it got ruined no big deal. Here's a few pics of the before shot, ironing process and the end result. It wasn't perfect in the end, but totally acceptable, especially considering how it started out. The thing does work.

Just another thing that proves the quality of Golden Era American made products.

in/y

One of the Regulars
I agree, it's very acceptable. Thanks for showing us it how it's done fedoralover.

I'll be keeping a close eye out for my own tie restorer in all of the usual places.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
The neat thing about this is how it is tapered to slide into the tie between the liner. I've tried to iron vintage ties before and the thing that was always dicey was pressing down too hard and then the liner and the back seam would show up on the front. This little jewel eliminates that problem by sliding into the tie.
DSCN0564.jpg

fedoralover

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld