Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

The lily one is top shelf, 100% agreed, but I have a soft spot for duck & gamebird ones too. They are like good beer and good wine, both serve the same function but there is no comparing them.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
Today's selection is not big and bold, but they are some of the handful of pairs I own with the same design in different colors: 3-3/4" & 4" wide Cutter Cravats, feels like rayon.

I'm always trying to find ties with this width/shape. There's just something American about wide, tapering ties with a wide-lapel suit (perhaps it's because of the excessive width?).

-Quetzal

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
The ties of the day are:
$_57.JPG

The duck tie looks like a (forgive me for saying this) surprisingly modern hunting novelty tie from a distance (except one is awesome and one isn't). Upon closer inspection, you can see the detail that went into this lovely print. That lily tie is also very cool; is it brown or a deep red?

-Quetzal

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Does anybody have ideas as to how accurate this seller's dating of the tie is? He says that it's 1900s or 1910s. What do you know about ties from that era? I could see wearing this tie, as rumpled as it is. I might be able to clean it, as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-190...ujylwI8Vhe2niLGTnguSE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Today, I also happen to be wearing my dark red Brent 100% dacron tie. I think it may be 1950s era.

It was from this collection of three I got a few weeks ago. You could see the label there.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/~CQAAOxyfS1R4Ei0/$(KGrHqJ,!n4FHbU0o7IyBR4Ei0ZN-w~~60_57.JPG?rt=nc

I don't know about the plaid tie, but that black tie was dated 1959, due to a hidden tag further inside up in the back of the tie.

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
My dating is pretty accurate, but I wouldn't say it's rumpled, just a very different style of construction to later ties, which causes it to tie a very different sort of knot.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
My dating is pretty accurate, but I wouldn't say it's rumpled, just a very different style of construction to later ties, which causes it to tie a very different sort of knot.

Thank you, Dinerman. I guess rumpled is an overstatement. I was referring to the yellowing, but I will certainly appreciate this tie. Since I trust your experience in dating ties, I believe it will now be the oldest in my collection.

Do you have any advice about possibly cleaning it up? I'd still wear the tie, but it would be nice to know how to properly take care of that.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe