Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Doran said:
A few nice ones I scored recently in Vancouver, Washington. Some were still in a plastic pack and appeared to be deadstock. I WORE THEM.
DSCF2915.jpg

Is that last tie pleated? If it is, I'll take it if you don't want it. ;) :p

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No pleats and no, I don't NOT want it. (That means I DO want it.) :rolleyes:
And -- once again - - it was about $5. [insert or imagine gloat.] Actually, a bit more: it was in a plastic-covered packet with 2 more ties. Total cost was about 17 bucks. For all three. Unworn. [insert or imagine horrible gloat.]

AlanC

:eek:fftopic:

Patrick Murtha said:
I go my (flawless) olive Burberry trenchcoat on Ebay for about $70.00. Still looking for a tan.

A made in England Burberry or Aquascutum (I'd be satisfied with either) is one of those finds that has eluded me thus far. I've come very close, but so far no cigar. It's one of those 'grail' thrift finds for me.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
AlanC said:
A made in England Burberry or Aquascutum (I'd be satisfied with either) is one of those finds that has eluded me thus far. I've come very close, but so far no cigar. It's one of those 'grail' thrift finds for me.

I'd love to have an Aquascutum too (I'm greedy). I see few of those on Ebay, more Burberrys, a lot seem to go in the $200-$400 range.

Dr Doran

Do you all have Dyer and Spark's book Fit To Be Tied: Vintage Neckties of the Forties and Early Fifties? I found it marvelous.

Doran said:
No pleats and no, I don't NOT want it. (That means I DO want it.) :rolleyes:
And -- once again - - it was about $5. [insert or imagine gloat.] Actually, a bit more: it was in a plastic-covered packet with 2 more ties. Total cost was about 17 bucks. For all three. Unworn. [insert or imagine horrible gloat.]

Quite a good deal. I'll have to post pictures of the matching ties my son and I got. :D
Oh wait, here they are:
6450_1.JPG

a1e6_1.JPG

Matching 30's Smoothie Horsey ties for $20.:D

Dr Doran

jamespowers said:
I saw that at the last Vintage Expo. I should have bought it just for the nudie ties. :p ;)

I was at the Expo on Geary on Sunday. I guess you were there Saturday. I bought the book from the woman with all the ties including nudies. Those were expensive.

Feraud said:
Ah horses! My favorite motif for ties and accessories. :eusa_clap

Unbelievably, they came brand new with the cardboard sleeve still on it. :D
I wish I could find another duplicate of a stirrup Gucci tie I had way back when. My father took it with him as it were. He was always borrowing it and getting food stains on it anyway. It was dry cleaned out anyway. :p

Doran said:
I was at the Expo on Geary on Sunday. I guess you were there Saturday. I bought the book from the woman with all the ties including nudies. Those were expensive.

Darn! You should have been there Saturday. I bought all the good stuff then. ;) :p
That is the book I was thinking of then. Those ties were really expensive but she gave my son a tie for free. :D Cutness has its priviledges. That and he loves ties more than I do. Whenever I open the closet with ties on the door I have to watch out or a tie ends up around his neck before I know it. :p

Dr Doran

jamespowers said:
Darn! You should have been there Saturday. I bought all the good stuff then. ;) :p
That is the book I was thinking of then. Those ties were really expensive but she gave my son a tie for free. :D Cutness has its priviledges. That and he loves ties more than I do. Whenever I open the closet with ties on the door I have to watch out or a tie ends up around his neck before I know it. :p

She had no price tags or firm prices on anything except the book, and that just makes me uncomfortable. Very nice, wonderful lady, though.

Doran said:
She had no price tags or firm prices on anything except the book, and that just makes me uncomfortable. Very nice, wonderful lady, though.

I know what you mean. I tend to shy away from that kind of experience. On the other hand, the woman with a huge tub of scarves had a bunch of cool 30's ties mixed in that didn't last very long after my friend and I found it. :p ;)
Less than $5 apiece and a cools silk scarf for $3. :eusa_clap

Dr Doran

Stupid Question

I have some 30s ties with frayed ends like that, and not to sound stupid, but are they supposed to be that way or should they be fixed? I have worn them frayed and thought it looked cool, but was never sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe