Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
AlanC said:
^Nice. I like H&H stuff a lot. It does go high on ebay, though. Here's one I have that I thrifted:

p1010924oi3.jpg
Wow--

I have this same tie but in dark green and purple--sadly, I didn't get a chance to thrift it, but paid full whack. I got a great purple tattersall from H&H to match.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A few nice ones I scored recently in Vancouver, Washington. Some were still in a plastic pack and appeared to be deadstock. I WORE THEM.

DSCF2916.jpg

DSCF2915.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Ya mugs ever see one of dees?

Here I have a neck tie considered to be rare from the war. It's a Brent from Montgomery Ward and these photos of it are before I had it fixed.

The tie is a rayon print like so:
tiejz4.jpg

The rare part of this tie is the liner... it's a nylon camouflage parachute material that was used as a liner I believe in Brent ties only... not sure.
tie2gz4.jpg

Notice the OPA tag (Office of Price Administration) was established within the Office for Emergency Management of the United States Government by Executive Order 8875 on August 28, 1941. The functions of the OPA were originally to stabilize prices (price controls) and rents after the outbreak of World War II.

that places this neck tie to have been made between 1941-1945. And it has the original price on the same tag.

Since this photo, I have taken it to my tailor and he fixed the liner... had the whole liner moved down a little to where no holes were... no one would know the difference!

Dr Doran

anon` said:
Jealousy.

Go deadstock! Bonus points for wearing them, too. No point in keeping them all wrapped up...

thunderw21 said:
Nice, Doran! Those are sweet.

Thanks, gents. And ... they were five bucks or so each. It pays to go to the out of the way places, like Old Glory Antique Mall in Vancouver, WA.

Feraud

Bartender
Nice ties Doran. Great prices too. NYC vintage shops sell those for 30-40 bucks a piece.

The camo liner on FM's tie is something different.

I recently bought 10 or so ties and will post pictures this evening.

Dr Doran

Feraud said:
Nice ties Doran. Great prices too. NYC vintage shops sell those for 30-40 bucks a piece.

The camo liner on FM's tie is something different.

I recently bought 10 or so ties and will post pictures this evening.

These would be more in a Berkeley vintage shop too -- probably $25 per. That's why it pays to go into the weird out-of-the-way places ... plus, it's more fun and not as full of trendies.

I'd love to see more ties, Feraud.

Dr Doran

Feraud said:
Same here.
I do most of my vintage shopping at thrift, as opposed to vintage shops.
The footwork pays off.

And it's more fun, one gets more exercise, one sees more places off the beaten shopping track ... the thrill of the hunt.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
A big +1 in this discussion.

You just never know where you'll find these things. And it goes for more than just ties.

Feraud

Bartender
Agreed. My wife and find new neighborhoods to explore based on an idea that there is a thrift store around. The fighting and getting lost is worth it when you walk out of a place with sharkskin suit for 25 bucks. :)

Dr Doran

thunderw21 said:
A big +1 in this discussion.

You just never know where you'll find these things. And it goes for more than just ties.

Exactly. Miscellaneous old things like clocks (see my latest post in the Thrift Store thread). Dirty things that need minor repair and are thus cheap.

Feraud said:
sharkskin suit for 25 bucks. :)

You're killing me.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I rely very much on Ebay because I have had little luck in scouting thrift stores or antique malls or such in Northeast Wisconsin. Not meaning to be a snoot about it, but the folks here were farmers and mill workers by and large; there just isn't much nice stuff floating around.

Dr Doran

Patrick Murtha said:
I rely very much on Ebay because I have had little luck in scouting thrift stores or antique malls or such in Northeast Wisconsin. Not meaning to be a snoot about it, but the folks here were farmers and mill workers by and large; there just isn't much nice stuff floating around.

When I move to Northern Wisconsin, things will change. They'll open up thrift stores just for me, with tons of vintage. JUST YOU WATCH.

Feraud

Bartender
Patrick Murtha said:
Agreed. I am lucky in my location but will admit to doing my share of Ebay shopping!

Doran said:
Oh geez. Just tell me. I'm already halfway dead.
O.k.. 28.99.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe