Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

MarineDad

New in Town
New to the forum. Just wanted to show what my wife surprised me with yesterday, but having trouble attaching pictures. Always get the message that the file is undefined, when trying to upload.
Any suggestions?

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
i use tiny pic as its easiest way to upload photos far easier then flikr et al IMHO just click on desired photo then use
'IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards' ... I use Microsoft picture manager to resize pics use small document 600x 800, edit-resize- small document 800x 600.... it should allow 5 photos per post.

Last edited:

MarineDad

New in Town
Finally got it fiured out! Very excited to be receiving these in a few days. After 31 yrs of marriage, she knows what I like.

Beau Brummell

Beau Brummell.JPG

Brent

Brent.JPG

Rhynecliffe

Rhynecliffe.JPG

Towncraft DeLuxe

Towncraft DeLuxe.JPG

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I really like the blue Terylene one it reminds me of sailing yatchs on the sea and it also has a nice woven texture, it's 50" long with a 2 1/2" tip;
dzazie.jpg

Mack Innon tartan wool, no makers mark 55" long 3" tip, this may be more modern as I am sure these are still being made?
el4jfc.jpg

and lastly a St Michaels ( Marks & Spencer) 53" long 3" tip, feels like silk?;
2zg84t3.jpg
317jivl.jpg

vypmw.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
It was hiding at the back of a pile of 80's polyester and it just goes to show some of the early-ish Terylene woven stuff can be nice, the photo's don't do it justice to be honest.
I agree Widebrim on the history thing, perhaps a seperate thread is in order for Terylene ties? I am sure between us all we'd have a few to show!

Well a bit of googeling reveals the Terylene trademark was granted to ICI UK in the UK in 1955 so no British Terylene tie can be prior to that date, It was applied for in the USA in 1948 as Dacron?

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That M&S tie is a really nice design. I'm rather partial to some of the Terylene & Tricel ties etc. They just need to be worn with a crisp white Van Heusen shirt and a late 1950s grey Burtons suit. It's a much under appreciated style and a style I wish I could wear (unfortunately those suits just never seem to be right for my shape.

p
It was hiding at the back of a pile of 80's polyester and it just goes to show some of the early-ish Terylene woven stuff can be nice, the photo's don't do it justice to be honest.
I agree Widebrim on the history thing, perhaps a seperate thread is in order for Terylene ties? I am sure between us all we'd have a few to show!

Well a bit of googeling reveals the Terylene trademark was granted to ICI UK in the UK in 1955 so no British Terylene tie can be prior to that date, It was applied for in the USA in 1948 as Dacron?

Dacron. Now I know what that is. It is washable and keeps its shape fairly well. It can be a bit plasticy feeling though. The material is rough.

TSP13

Familiar Face
My favorite, rarely worn, tie in my collection. It is definately not the oldest, but it is full of intrigue. I know there are modern ties made by the Metropolitan Museum of art, but I have never came across one with a tag like this. It may be some sort of prototype? Would anyone know any more than I do about this beauty? All help is appreciated. I also think this is the only tie I won't clip. I had to hand stitch the label back on myself.
-T.S.
SANY1466.jpg SANY1467.jpg SANY1468.jpg SANY1469.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe