Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Look into my tie..........

hypnotize-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
An interesting awful one from the middle 40s. You would put this in the 60s rather than the 40s, I think, if you saw it in amongst the Goodwill ties. Lovely crepe fabric, and I like the floral motif. But on the whole, quite a horrid necktie. Colour is accurate.

PinkPaisley40sTie.jpg

And one of my favourites. This is from the late 20s or early 30s, the fabric is a lovely foulard silk, and appears to represent clouds but I also see childish drawings of scrotums. All that's missing are the skateboards.

ScrotumCloudsTie.jpg

I see echoes of Dr Seuss in both of these. Are we sure he never designed ties in his spare time?

Want to sell it? I'd pay good money for any of these particular ties, especially the bird one. In fact you could have your pick of my collection for the bird.

Nah, I like that tie in particular since I raise german roller canaries. I usually wear it to shows etc. :p
They come up once in a while on OFAS. You just have to look for them. That one came with a blue background and a red background from what I gather.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I passed through Kettering (Northants) last week. A new charity shop had opened and outside was a basket of ties at 20p each. For that money, anything pre-1970 is worth buying.

Green wool - sold by the shop 'Foster Brothers':
fosterbrothers2.jpg

foster-brothers-label-2.jpg

Another 'Foster Brothers':
foster-brothers.jpg

foster-brothers-label.jpg

A manmade fabric tie, made by 'Grosvenor':
grosvenor.jpg

grosvenor-label.jpg

By 'Klipper' (I think I already have this tie somewhere):
klipper.jpg

klipper-label.jpg

A 'Lewisham' tie (not sure why anyone would name a tie after such unappealling London suburb, though)
lewisham.jpg

lewisham-label.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Plain red wool, no label:
red.jpg

And finally, a Tootal red label (complete with ink stain - if it doesn't come out I can wear it with a waistcoat):
IMG_2622.jpg

tootal-red-label.jpg

I also found two cravats, so the total price was £1.80.

You dare to insult my family, sir! (Grandma was from Lewisham). It is, of course awful.:D

p.s. that first green tweedy thornproof type fabric. Man, how MANY of those ties have I seem? They're everywhere, made by all different kinds of manufacturers. There must've been a moment in the late 50s when every man in Britain owned of of those frankly unappealing tweed ties.

A 'Lewisham' tie (not sure why anyone would name a tie after such unappealling London suburb, though)

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Mind you, what's the more ridiculous name? A 'Lewisham Tie' or your 'Tootal Croydon'? And Tootal also sold the 'Wembley' in North America. Now if you are going to name a tie after a London suburb, Wembley - with its sporting connections - makes sense. Lewisham and Croydon? Not such a good idea.

The question is, are there any more ties named after London suburbs? (i can just imagine a 1950s tie made from Trevira called something like 'The Neasden Tie')

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82