Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Alex

Practically Family
It's interesting, the only thing related to a label is the text on back that reads "Brigadoon Plaids" I believe. Not that this tie is that amazing or anything. I would love to acquire some tropical themed 40s ties.

Alex

Practically Family
length is about 54" which seems slightly lengthy for the time period but again i'm not so sure. it's about 4" wide. I do have one from the 70's to compare it to, which is a Don Loper and it's 4" wide, and 56" long.

Alex

Practically Family
Picked this up from a thrift store in my hometown of Ames (about 40 miles away from Marshalltown).
IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
IMG_0719.JPG

Now do you guys think this is a mid to late 40s or a 70s tie? I'm not yet knowledgeable enough in the cravat category to determine the era of this one.

After being around vintage ties for so long it's hard to explain to someone how I can pretty much instantly tell you if it's 1940s or not. Widebrim gave you an excellent answer. It has an overall shape to it that modern ties do not. It's sort of the angle it takes from its narrowest width to its widest. Taking a 'peek' inside it, too, will show you that its construction is uniquely vintage.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Vintage NOS Palm Beach Beau Brummel Ties

I recently got these NOS Palm Beach ties for 14 bucks on Ebay. Even the price tags and care instruction tags were still there. They used to be $1 each, but I think it was a steal anyway.

Does anybody know how to date them?

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0590.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0597.JPG

IMG_0598.jpg

Alex

Practically Family
I used to live in Marshalltown a ways back. Is that where you're at now? It had a great Salvation Army store there when I lived there.

I live in Ames now. I've been to Marshalltown a few times. I thought it was cool to find this at an Ames thrift store, being as it was from the 60s. Were you raised in Marshalltown or just live there?

Yes, the '46 is a bit of a hint.

Without such a thing, there is a Palm Beach thread where I outline the various changes in company name that give very good indication of age. before a certain date the company is Goodall. Then it becomes Goodall-Sanford (I believe in 1945 or so), then it changes again and in '55 the company is sold off completely and the cloth discontinued.

I also bought some PB ties from this seller. i think you outbid me on this set, Rudie! It's funny. the seller sold some other lots a week or two before these, and they fetched in the region of $60-$70.

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

Now do you guys think this is a mid to late 40s or a 70s tie? I'm not yet knowledgeable enough in the cravat category to determine the era of this one.

Definitely 46-52 there. That is what is known as a knot planned tie. when the tie is tied the knot will have the pattern above the regular red. Hut used to make many of these ties and sold tons of them. They are some of my favorite designs because they have that extra flare with the knot. :D
That was a good find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe