Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
a pair of matching Wembleys...

cravat5100.jpg
[/IMG]

a diagram on light refraction???[huh]

I need a pair of those. Fantastic ties.

mack11211

New in Town
Hello all!

mack11211 here.

I have a large tie collection.

If you click on the link, you'll see them ID'd by maker and grouped roughly by period...make dates range from the 1960s back to the 1920s. The oldest ones are at the end.

Link:

I have no idea why there were only 2 bidders, me and someone else. There are 6 A. Sulka ties from the 30s-40s in there; there were pictures of all the labels, and Sulka was mentioned in the description. [huh] Oh well, a nice lot for me. I'm wearing the yellow with blue amoebae one today. Sulka silk really in incomparable to anything else. So much finer.

440638055_o.jpg

The Sulkas are top row 3rd and 4th from left, and bottom row 1st (Moire silk), 2nd, 4th and 6th (coconut motif) from left.

I have no idea why there were only 2 bidders, me and someone else. There are 6 A. Sulka ties from the 30s-40s in there; there were pictures of all the labels, and Sulka was mentioned in the description. [huh] Oh well, a nice lot for me. I'm wearing the yellow with blue amoebae one today. Sulka silk really in incomparable to anything else. So much finer.

440638055_o.jpg

The Sulkas are top row 3rd and 4th from left, and bottom row 1st (Moire silk), 2nd, 4th and 6th (coconut motif) from left.

Great find. The moire one is a nice example.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
is yet another tie that was a gift from yet another student. Van Heusen, 100% silk, made in China:(, but it has a nice design and color scheme. (I was seated when the photo was taken, so it's not quite that long.)

Photo7-2-1.jpg
Photo8-1.jpg

This is actually a nice modern tie, Widebrim, not bad. It strikes the balance between having individual style and remaining conservative enough for everyday office wear. The tie clip completes the look too. I wear one myself with my modern ties (I don't own any vintage), but it's a silver tone, not too wide, and I must say your's looks a lot nicer.

Anyway, I don't wear ties that often, most often for church and sometimes at class, but this 3 3/4 inch red tie with yellow rectangular motifs has been my favorite for two or three years (I own five ties). Any constructive criticism with regard to the general shape of the tie, or the knot (four in hand)? Is the tie too wide for me? I'm not quite too knowledgable with regards to sartorial matters.

Photoon2011-02-01at16362.jpg

One of these days, I'm going to have to visit a thrift store. I know that I can find myself a nice tie, I just haven't bothered getting out there yet.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

This is actually a nice modern tie, Widebrim, not bad. It strikes the balance between having individual style and remaining conservative enough for everyday office wear. The tie clip completes the look too. I wear one myself with my modern ties (I don't own any vintage), but it's a silver tone, not too wide, and I must say your's looks a lot nicer.

Anyway, I don't wear ties that often, most often for church and sometimes at class, but this 3 3/4 inch red tie with yellow rectangular motifs has been my favorite for two or three years (I own five ties). Any constructive criticism with regard to the general shape of the tie, or the knot (four in hand)? Is the tie too wide for me? I'm not quite too knowledgable with regards to sartorial matters.

Photoon2011-02-01at16362.jpg

One of these days, I'm going to have to visit a thrift store. I know that I can find myself a nice tie, I just haven't bothered getting out there yet.

Thanks for the kind words about the tie. Regarding the tie that you have posted, from what I can see it has a very good design for a modern one. I would try and get a longer tie bar, and work a little more on the knot, but the length and width would seem to suit you. Ties come in all widths, and I can go from 1" to 4" in one day, but it's been said that the most balanced width is 3". Yes, get thee to a thrift store, and with some patience, you're likely to score a few good vintage ties...

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
1) 'Fantasy in Color' Towncraft DeLuxe 2) Stafford Club S&C Co. Stores 3) Wembley

cravat2100.jpg
[/IMG]

The Stafford Club has the honor of being my first 1940s tie....purchased some 20 years ago at a small vintage shop owned by a girl I wanted to date at the time. ;)

I am not sure if I wrote this here but as I recall my interest in 1940's bold look ties kind of started in the mid 70's when in high school I needed a bow tie for some occasion. My dad had a nice red one that you tied. When he showed me that tie I saw all of the ties he had and there were a number of the bold look ties that caught my eye. I asked if i could use those and my dad said no they are out of style, that I should not wear them. And to make sure i didn't he took all of the bold look ties and some 50's ties and threw them in the garbage! I begged him not to but he did. I got 1 to keep but eventually lost it.

A similar tale is connected with all of his 78's!

I am not sure why he had such an aversion to such interests other than on his side of the family there was a history of pack rats (now reffered to as hoarders) it may have made for a backlash in his mind and the tossing of great stuff resulted a few times

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe