Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Tru-Lov??

Ok, found a tie today for $2.50. I still can't post anything, but it is dark brown with cool white and orange bamboo trees; about 3" wide, so we're talking c.1953. Inside the back blade, it is stamped Palace Costume Co., and has the firm's Fairfax, Los Angeles address. Now, what I find interesting is that it has two manufacturer's tags: one says Custom DeLuxe CRAVAT--STYLED BY Wormser, and the other says A Tru-Lov CRAVAT--LUXURE' REX. I've heard about Wormser, but has anybody ever heard of Tru-Lov? I'm thinking that the latter manufactured the innards (resilient construction, etc.), but the name doesn't ring a bell.:eusa_doh: Anybody?[huh]

Ok, found a tie today for $2.50. I still can't post anything, but it is dark brown with cool white and orange bamboo trees; about 3" wide, so we're talking c.1953. Inside the back blade, it is stamped Palace Costume Co., and has the firm's Fairfax, Los Angeles address. Now, what I find interesting is that it has two manufacturer's tags: one says Custom DeLuxe CRAVAT--STYLED BY Wormser, and the other says A Tru-Lov CRAVAT--LUXURE' REX. I've heard about Wormser, but has anybody ever heard of Tru-Lov? I'm thinking that the latter manufactured the innards (resilient construction, etc.), but the name doesn't ring a bell.:eusa_doh: Anybody?[huh]

That is some schizophrenic labeling there. I have no idea as to who the last one is.
That 12 pound lot was a bust. It wasn't 12 pounds and there were only about 15 ties worth saving in it. There were 6 landfill skinny ties and a few 70s ties. I essentially paid $6 a ties for the good ones because I'll never wear the others.
The interesting thing is that many of the good ones seem like 30s ties but they are lined. I am not sure what to think. I know they had lined ties back then for the higher dollar stuff but one of them has a price tag from JC Penney for 69 cents.[huh]

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
That is some schizophrenic labeling there. I have no idea as to who the last one is.
That 12 pound lot was a bust. It wasn't 12 pounds and there were only about 15 ties worth saving in it. There were 6 landfill skinny ties and a few 70s ties. I essentially paid $6 a ties for the good ones because I'll never wear the others.
The interesting thing is that many of the good ones seem like 30s ties but they are lined. I am not sure what to think. I know they had lined ties back then for the higher dollar stuff but one of them has a price tag from JC Penney for 69 cents.[huh]

Sorry about that, old bean...Don't forget that some ties were silk-tipped (in fact, Baron Kurtz just mentioned this), so feasibly the Penney's one could be from the '30s. Save the thin ties for me...

Sorry about that, old bean...Don't forget that some ties were silk-tipped (in fact, Baron Kurtz just mentioned this), so feasibly the Penney's one could be from the '30s. Save the thin ties for me...

Well at least I think I have enough landfill skinny ties to make a smoking jacket now.:plol
It could well be from the 30s being silk tipped. They are decent patterns that I can use so.....:D

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
I've noticed that out of the 40 or so 30's & 40's vintage ties in my collection probably 80% are primarily brown or burgundy colored. These were found in various places so it doesn't just reflect the tastes of one owner whose collection I happened to find. I like other colors but burgundy & brown are always the ones I seem to find. Does anyone have any knowledge/theories on why that is. Were these colors just in fashion at that time or was there some other reason such as these colors reproduced better with the technology of the time? Any ideas?

I've noticed that out of the 40 or so 30's & 40's vintage ties in my collection probably 80% are primarily brown or burgundy colored. These were found in various places so it doesn't just reflect the tastes of one owner whose collection I happened to find. I like other colors but burgundy & brown are always the ones I seem to find. Does anyone have any knowledge/theories on why that is. Were these colors just in fashion at that time or was there some other reason such as these colors reproduced better with the technology of the time? Any ideas?

It might just be the area you hunt for them in. I have plenty of browns, blues, greens and a host of other colors.
Perhaps that is the only thing that survived as the ownerws wore out their other colors first. It is really difficult to postulate exactly why. Perhaps some others have ideas on this.
One of my favorite Botany tie ads:
2637_12.JPG
Lots of colors present there in this 1949 tie ad. I know, what ties? :p

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
It might just be the area you hunt for them in. I have plenty of browns, blues, greens and a host of other colors.
Perhaps that is the only thing that survived as the ownerws wore out their other colors first. It is really difficult to postulate exactly why. Perhaps some others have ideas on this.
One of my favorite Botany tie ads:
View attachment 130
Lots of colors present there in this 1949 tie ad. I know, what ties? :p

Exactly. What ties?:rolleyes: Boy, I doubt you would have seen an ad like that before the late-'40s...

I have found that in L.A. a lot of vintage ties are brown, too, but particulary the wider ones. However, there are also plenty of hand-painted ties in various colors, as well some conventional ties representing other shades of the color wheel. Brown was a popular suit color, but it's possible that gray and blue suits were more numerous, so perhaps ties that went with those colors did wear out quicker (although it's hard to wear out a tie).[huh]

Exactly. What ties?:rolleyes: Boy, I doubt you would have seen an ad like that before the late-'40s...

I have found that in L.A. a lot of vintage ties are brown, too, but particulary the wider ones. However, there are also plenty of hand-painted ties in various colors, as well some conventional ties representing other shades of the color wheel. Brown was a popular suit color, but it's possible that gray and blue suits were more numerous, so perhaps ties that went with those colors did wear out quicker (although it's hard to wear out a tie).[huh]

It is actually easy to wear out a silk tie. My father managed to do it to one of my Gucci ties. If you keep getting it stained and have to keep dry cleaning it then it won't last very long. The tip of the tie is the first place to go on a tie that way. My father took that tie with him so to speak.

You know what? My wife realized this before I did---the ties I got look nothing like those int he auction picture. I think they sent me the wrong ties! Email to the seller sent.
The problem is that there are a few of the ties I got that I like.:confused::eusa_doh:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
It is actually easy to wear out a silk tie. My father managed to do it to one of my Gucci ties. If you keep getting it stained and have to keep dry cleaning it then it won't last very long. The tip of the tie is the first place to go on a tie that way. My father took that tie with him so to speak.

That is true, if you keep getting it dry-cleaned, and if it's an old tie. Happened to a Bold Look tie that I dry-cleaned once, and on the tip of the front blade...:eusa_doh:

You know what? My wife realized this before I did---the ties I got look nothing like those int he auction picture. I think they sent me the wrong ties! Email to the seller sent.
The problem is that there are a few of the ties I got that I like.:confused::eusa_doh:

Oh, man. Well, offer to send back the ones that you don't like, and the seller can send you that many in return (specify non-thin ones, of course...:().

That is true, if you keep getting it dry-cleaned, and if it's an old tie. Happened to a Bold Look tie that I dry-cleaned once, and on the tip of the front blade...:eusa_doh:

I hate when that happens. Good reason to try to clean them at home with less caustic chemicals.

Oh, man. Well, offer to send back the ones that you don't like, and the seller can send you that many in return (specify non-thin ones, of course...:().

We'll see.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

Oh, yeah, saw those...Truth is, I have an early-'60s Pucci tie, and I wish I could get one-third of what the seller is asking for that one...

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I've been meaning to ask, but instead of starting a thread, maybe I'll start here. Can any of you folks explain the phenomenon of squared or square-end ties (ones that don't point towards the bottom)? I have seen examples of these that are both the thin 1950s/'60s variety, and even a reference to later, yet wider 1970s versions.

Here are examples of what I mean starting with the 1950s and 1960s:

Sean Connery-era James Bond tie.

cl030.jpg

One of the Beatles to the right has one.

Beatles-skinny-tie.jpg

Here's a link with more images, I hope it's allowed. It contains both examples of 1950s and '60s ties in this fashion.

http://www.ties2pillows.com/Results.cfm?category=15

Now for a 1970s or early 80's reference, from The Shining (wide, knit tie with square end in the film). Jack Nicholson's character also wore one. Not sure how popular they were by this period, but squared ties seem to have been available.

Tie3.jpg

So, when exactly was the flat bottom tie at it's peak of popularity? When was it in the decline? Unless they're the currently trendy narrow ties, there are no other variations of this particular tie. Wide ones don't seem to exist, and I've been to a number of stores and outlets selling ties.

I've heard about Wormser, but has anybody ever heard of Tru-Lov? I'm thinking that the latter manufactured the innards (resilient construction, etc.), but the name doesn't ring a bell.:eusa_doh: Anybody?[huh]

Never heard of Tru-Lov, i'm afraid. But just a bit of info on "Resilient Construction". All that refers to is the number of pieces used to make the tie, and the way in which they're stitched together. Patented 1923, I believe. Some of the Hand Tailored Resilient Construction ties have the date on the back of the little black label. Virtually every tie from the late 20s onwards was made using this patented pattern as it greatly increased length of wear - no more ripped seams.

jamespowers said:
The interesting thing is that many of the good ones seem like 30s ties but they are lined. I am not sure what to think. I know they had lined ties back then for the higher dollar stuff but one of them has a price tag from JC Penney for 69 cents.

Virtually everything I find that's from the 20s is fully lined - usually in heavy satins. Into the late 20s and 30s the vogue for silk tipping came in. It's possible that the tie you're talking about is from the early 30s, when virtually every tie (according to that Apparel Arts article) was silk tipped. The women buying the ties wouldn't buy it unless it had some silk in it, even if it was just tipped. AA seems to have run a campaign against silk tipping. Possibly successful, leading to fewer lined ties in the later 30s?

Another thing to keep in mind is the quality of the silk used in silk tipped ties. I have so many tie where the tips have shattered 'cause they used crappy weighted silk. Therefore a lot of the 30s ties may have had the silk tips removed.

bk

Virtually everything I find that's from the 20s is fully lined - usually in heavy satins. Into the late 20s and 30s the vogue for silk tipping came in. It's possible that the tie you're talking about is from the early 30s, when virtually every tie (according to that Apparel Arts article) was silk tipped. The women buying the ties wouldn't buy it unless it had some silk in it, even if it was just tipped. AA seems to have run a campaign against silk tipping. Possibly successful, leading to fewer lined ties in the later 30s?

Another thing to keep in mind is the quality of the silk used in silk tipped ties. I have so many tie where the tips have shattered 'cause they used crappy weighted silk. Therefore a lot of the 30s ties may have had the silk tips removed.

bk

That sounds right. I'll have to get some pictures of the new ties later when I get back. Thanks for clarifying. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82