Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Feraud

Bartender
Is the rainbow design stitched or printed on the tie?
thunderw21 said:
Goodwill finds from today...

ties069-1.jpg

Baron Kurtz said:
One of the very few 1940s ties i've kept in my collection. This one's by Haband. Horse and Hound design in dark blue and pink. Looks to me like a squirrel riding the horse, but whatever. One of the few 40s ties i've seen that I liked.

HabandHorseHounds.jpg

bk

Now that is interesting. I was thinking of buying the exact same tie a few weeks ago. I found two of them but I was being cheap that week. [huh]
Maybe I can still find them. ;) I really like that tie.:eusa_clap

Christmas Trees?

ChristmasTreeTie.jpg

Horse heads and lassos? This one from the Thunderw21 lot.

HorseLassoTie.jpg

This one, also late 30s, reminds me of a lanscaped garden - crazy paving and foliage, bushes etc.

LandscapeGardenTie.jpg

I decided to rearrange my ties to make them easier to get at and a bit nearer. Strung up in the alcove between a fireplace and the outer wall of the house. I think it's quite effective, and certainly does make them easier to get at. A little dull, the ties, as i'm at the end of my rotation.

TieWallStorage.jpg

bk

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Lovely early 50s Penneys hand painted Palm Trees tie, with a hut and birds! Mint condition too for $15. Don't these go for stupid amounts on ebay?

hawaiiantie.jpg

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Guttersnipe said:
Sometimes, yeah.

Thats what I thought. Some of the printed ones don't go for much, and some of the poorer designs. I noticed that the deciding factors are color and composition (read: it has to look damn good). The good ones usually hit the $50-70 benchmark from what I've seen.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Found an amusing article about shirt collars at Esquire online.

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/Pk/white-collar-guy-lg.jpg

Is there a name for the type of collar the main character on White Collar wears?

Yes. It's called a really bad collar. One that's too small for a grown man, too small to encompass a tie (which is why it has that over-stuffed-sausage look about it), and too small for the suit he wears with it. You can see what they're getting at with his outfits — a kind of modern Mad Men look — but the wardrobers on Mad Men know that their show's look is as much about proportion and fit as it is about skinny lapels. White Collar's look is all wrong. It's like someone stuck a skinny lapel on a sack suit (and a shirt) and called it stylish. The balance is off, the sleeves are too wide and the pants are too big

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/style/ask-nick/warm-weather-style-tips-051810

Feraud

Bartender
repeatclicks said:
Thats what I thought. Some of the printed ones don't go for much, and some of the poorer designs. I noticed that the deciding factors are color and composition (read: it has to look damn good). The good ones usually hit the $50-70 benchmark from what I've seen.

It's a crazy market for painted ties. You can find them in all price ranges.
Color, quality, and composition matters...but sometimes it doesn't! [huh]
Good for buyer, bad for seller.

I think a good policy for buying them is to set your price and not get into a bidding war. There will always be another one at auction.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Found this today for a couple of bucks at a great vintage shop in Takoma Park, MD. The design is fairly high on the blade of the tie, so it shows even if you have your jacket buttoned.

P1070807.jpg

Talbot

One Too Many
Apologies guys, I'm a little late to the party

Was spring cleaning the other day - didn't realise I had accumulated so many.

Here's a few, more to follow if these are worthy.

P1010796.jpg

P1010797.jpg

P1010798.jpg

Talbot

YETI

A-List Customer
repeatclicks said:
Lovely early 50s Penneys hand painted Palm Trees tie, with a hut and birds! Mint condition too for $15. Don't these go for stupid amounts on ebay?

hawaiiantie.jpg
That's a beauty.

Actually, the ones that go for $200+ on ebay are the hand-painted silk ones. The 'Galet' signed pieces go for around $300. I don't think they're worth anywhere near that.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
YETI said:
Actually, the ones that go for $200+ on ebay are the hand-painted silk ones. The 'Galet' signed pieces go for around $300. I don't think they're worth anywhere near that.

I don't pay attention to ebay any more, but the Galets go for that much? I have several, but I've never been overly-excited about their design. They're too wide, also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken