Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

I got a few of the washed ties back from the cleaners. I think they had no idea what some of them were supposed to look like originally. lol
108.jpg

The two on the right are my favorites. They are clled Sheer magic. The top polka dots are on nylon that "floats" over the material behind it.

Feraud

Bartender
The sheer magic ties are interesting. I've never seen that style before. It probably looks great in person. All the ties in that group are nice.

Dinerman's cocktail tie is cool. I like how it has the recipe on the narrow end.

Widebrim said:
I've never seen Sheer Magic ties before. Bring 'em to the Queen Mary...:)

Oh, I guess that can be arranged. ;) :D

You need to get a few. I understand they came in a few other colors as well. I just have green and brown. There should have also been blue and maybe a gray or red. The ties from the 1940s were really quite interesting because you can literally find the same tie in five different color schemes---one for every day of the work week. You could wear your favorite tie every day of the week in every color. ;) :D

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
The ties from the 1940s were really quite interesting because you can literally find the same tie in five different color schemes---one for every day of the work week. You could wear your favorite tie every day of the week in every color. ;) :D

Yeah, I've got three with the same pattern, but in silver, blue, and maroon backgrounds (I could have gotten a brown background, too, but I've got too many brown ties already).

Widebrim said:
Yes, QB, it must have been a whole line, but what's odd about it is that yours is from the Resisto Company, and mine is from Regal. Regarding the lining, there is nothing writtien on it.[huh]

Resisto, i would say, is the company that made the lining material, not the company that made the tie. It would be, to say the least, utterly shocking if Quigley's tie was made of wool.

bk

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Resisto, i would say, is the company that made the lining material, not the company that made the tie. It would be, to say the least, utterly shocking if Quigley's tie was made of wool.

bk

What you say makes sense, Baron, although Resisto did also manufacture whole neckties (it was founded by the man who invented "Resilient Construction" in 1923). But could only the lining of QB's tie have made by Resisto? I think that is not only possible, but very probable.

Feraud said:
Now all I need is the db Palm Beach suit.. ;) I have a white db Ralph Lauren jacket I plan to wear these Palm Beach ties with in the summertime.
That tie is a real vivid blue, it should realy set off the ensamble nicely. Please post some pix if you get a chance. The bold look is that: BOLD, bringing color and action to one's appearance.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I like this tie a lot and would be interested in seeing if you guys agree that it's likely from the '30s. It's 3.75 inches wide and 49 inches long.

dingytie.jpg
dingytie2.jpg

The problem is, it's pretty dingy, with just a few clean areas, as you can see below, so I also would appreciate your thoughts on cleaning it.

dingytie3.jpg

I've tried an oxyclean-type product on two vintage ties -- one did great and came out much cleaner than it had been; the other was ruined.

Can you guys tell from looking (there's no fabric info on the tie) what material this tie is and whether I could get away with giving it the oxy treatment?

Here's a closeup of the fabric:

dingytie4.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
skyvue said:
I've tried an oxyclean-type product on two vintage ties -- one did great and came out much cleaner than it had been; the other was ruined.

Can you guys tell from looking (there's no fabric info on the tie) what material this tie is and whether I could get away with giving it the oxy treatment?

Here's a closeup of the fabric:

dingytie4.jpg
That's a good looking tie.
Was the tie you ruined silk? I don't think silk and Oxyclean play well together.
I would guess this tie is rayon. If others agree then an Oxyclean bath would help clean it up.

Feraud

Bartender
Believe it or not I washed a painted tie in Oxyclean!
It was a filthy tie I purchased at a flea market for a couple of bucks. Unless I tried washing the beast it was unwearable.
I took the chance and it turned out perfect!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken