Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

cptjeff

Practically Family
Widebrim said:
At 46" long (and 2 1/2" wide), this is clearly a youth's tie, and a nice one. It is an EXCLUSIVE Cravat WORK OF "Art," and is made of acetate. I would imagine that it was one of a series of sports scenes.
CCF04132010_00003.jpg

Simply awesome, speaking as both a hockey fan and a hockey player. And I could probably mange to wear it.... Better then the ones they sell these days that are nearly as tall as I am anyway.

Widebrim said:
The fourth book is from the UK, and therefore features quite a bit of British, as well as American neckwear. It also has a rather large section on the 19th century (something I didn't know when I purchased it on-line), and contains much more text than the other three books.

The fourth one is likely worth the $5.40 you can get it for on Amazon though. ;)

Widebrim said:
At 46" long (and 2 1/2" wide), this is clearly a youth's tie, and a nice one. It is an EXCLUSIVE Cravat WORK OF "Art," and is made of acetate. I would imagine that it was one of a series of sports scenes.
CCF04132010_00003.jpg

I think I posted my son's Disney penguin tie earlier in this thread. I forget what the label says on his. Youth ties are fairly hard to find as you know how they were treated. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Guttersnipe said:
Not much, five bucks maybe(?)- I can't remember the exact amount, but it was something comically low. It's actually the second one I've seen, pdxvintagette came across the same one a few years ago, but it was trashed. Someone once told me that particular design was sold as tourist schlock in Las Vegas...

Yep, they are around. You just need to find them at an affordable price. That is the harder part. ;)

cptjeff

Practically Family
Widebrim said:
^^Hey, glad you like it!

Yeah, I'm a sucker for old hockey stuff. Don't have much of it since it's hard to find on my budget, but I do have an awesome pair of 40's skates that hang in front of my (modern) Hurricanes jersey.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
DSCN0256.jpg

I tend to think late-'50s (espeically the square-bottomed one), but they could be even a bit later...At any rate, I like 'em both. How many inches are the widths?

Thanks, WB. You are always so kind to share your insights -- and then I got preoccupied for a couple days and left your question hanging. Sorry. They come in at 2-3/8" at widest. :)

Widebrim said:
Keeping in the spirit of the hockey tie I recently posted, here is my baseball tie. It is 53" long, 2 1/4" wide, feels like silk, and carries a Smiths California label. I just wore it today.

CCF04142010_00000.jpg

There used to be a Smith's downtown here. My great uncle Joe liked to shop at that place. My father had a few things from there as well. It hasn't been there since the 70s as far as I can recall.
Your tie came far before the demise. ;) :D

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
There used to be a Smith's downtown here. My great uncle Joe liked to shop at that place. My father had a few things from there as well. It hasn't been there since the 70s as far as I can recall.
Your tie came far before the demise. ;) :D

It very possibly did come from that same shop...You know, most of the ties I find here here in Los Angeles, and which have their tags intact, do originally come from an L.A. store, although somtimes I get ones from other states...

Widebrim said:
It very possibly did come from that same shop...You know, most of the ties I find here here in Los Angeles, and which do have their tags intact, do originally come from an L.A. store, although somtimes I get ones from other states...

It was a nice store. It had what you expect from an old fashioned me's store. Lots of wood accents and great customer service. They just couldn't compete with stuff from foreign countries or just didn't want to do so.
I get ties from all over the place. :p
I took 6 ties from the "washed lot" in to my dry cleaner. He looked at me like I was crazy. I just told him they fell to the back of my closet and they got into that state. He even checked the inner facing on one of them. I am glad he didn't check them all. It is going to take some work to get that mess flat and straight. I take in a few at a time so he won't think I got a lot from eBay. :rolleyes: :p

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I took 6 ties from the "washed lot" in to my dry cleaner. He looked at me like I was crazy. I just told him they fell to the back of my closet and they got into that state. He even checked the inner facing on one of them. I am glad he didn't check them all. It is going to take some work to get that mess flat and straight. I take in a few at a time so he won't think I got a lot from eBay. :rolleyes: :p

I hope that he does a good job!:rolleyes:

sproily

Practically Family
I am extremely low on proper ties.

Now that I've got myself a good collection of high waisted trousers I need proper ties! All the ones I've got aren't vintage and are awful.

Would any of you guys that have a lot of vintage ties (30's-40's) be willing to sell me some as a lot? I've never seen vintage ties here in Finland and I wouldn't like to search for them on eBay because I'd want them a bit more swiftly than waiting a week for an auction to close.

I would be very pleased if someone could help me

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
sproily said:
I am extremely low on proper ties.

Now that I've got myself a good collection of high waisted trousers I need proper ties! All the ones I've got aren't vintage and are awful.

Would any of you guys that have a lot of vintage ties (30's-40's) be willing to sell me some as a lot? I've never seen vintage ties here in Finland and I wouldn't like to search for them on eBay because I'd want them a bit more swiftly than waiting a week for an auction to close.

I would be very pleased if someone could help me

Send me a PM, sproily.

-Widebrim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken