Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Wow, the things people throw away, eh? I acquired an old dresser in a similar manner several years ago. It cleaned up quite nicely too. We still use it, and if and when we ever decide to be rid of it, we'll see that it doesn't end up in the landfill.

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
I picked this old china cabinet up Saturday.
And I mean picked up, the former owner had placed it on the sidewalk to be picked up
by the city [or someone like me]
It was rather dirty but cleaned up great. There was one piece of trim from the bottom drawer missing.
But when I got it home and cleaned it up I found it in the back of the drawer.
It is a beautiful piece of furniture.

001wmlx.jpg

Gorgeous! I inherited one from my nana that's similar but instead of a knob, it has a lock and key. It displays all her china.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
You guys are making fun, but I think that razor is just beautiful! I'm always amazed at the amount of design that used to go into even the most utilitarian things. It's like things were *supposed* to be kept and treasured. Gee what's that like?

True, W9V, we're joking around a bit. But I appreciate its design as well.

I wouldn't necessarily dispute your point about the "throwaway" attitude we seem to have about so many consumer goods these day (I think that's what you're saying; if I'm missing your point, please don't hesitate to say so), but design is still a huge consideration in the stuff we use every day. Think of Apple products, for instance. It's doubtful that stuff would sell so well if it weren't so stylish. Or tableware. People choose glasses and plates and silverware mostly because they like its looks. Or any number of things -- just about everything, really. It's not that people don't concern themselves with other attributes, but what people see counts for a whole lot. Styles change, and certainly not always for the better, but style sells.

Maybe I'm just stating the obvious and flirting with pedantry here. I'm working on it.

Last edited:

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
I picked this old china cabinet up Saturday.
And I mean picked up, the former owner had placed it on the sidewalk to be picked up
by the city [or someone like me]
It was rather dirty but cleaned up great. There was one piece of trim from the bottom drawer missing.
But when I got it home and cleaned it up I found it in the back of the drawer.
It is a beautiful piece of furniture.

001wmlx.jpg

I have one almost exactly like this. I made it into a bar. Replaced the shelves with glass, added a light inside and my wife put a really cool fabric on the back of the inside--works really well! Great find--enjoy the piece!

The Inspector

One of the Regulars
So this week our neighborhood had a yard sale,(which I was in as well) and was getting rid of some junk that was taking up space in my garage when I get the urge to go out into my neighborhood and see what everyone had. Then I go up a few streets to find this interesting looking box that had an all to familiar name on it. So I decide to bite my tongue and purchase it for ten bucks and try to figure out what this tool does.
Now I know that you shouldn't buy things that you will have no use for and don't even know what their purpose is, but hey, its a neat little thing from the past that is a cool item to show to other collectors that collect singer tools and machines. But on that note if anyone knows what this thing is a "pm" would be nice. :eek:

be73a272.jpg

ae11a569.jpg

bff2e5b9.jpg

So this week our neighborhood had a yard sale,(which I was in as well) and was getting rid of some junk that was taking up space in my garage when I get the urge to go out into my neighborhood and see what everyone had. Then I go up a few streets to find this interesting looking box that had an all to familiar name on it. So I decide to bite my tongue and purchase it for ten bucks and try to figure out what this tool does.
Now I know that you shouldn't buy things that you will have no use for and don't even know what their purpose is, but hey, its a neat little thing from the past that is a cool item to show to other collectors that collect singer tools and machines. But on that note if anyone knows what this thing is a "pm" would be nice. :eek:

be73a272.jpg

ae11a569.jpg

bff2e5b9.jpg

I think it is a 1948 Singer button hole attachment. Now all you need it the machine to attach it to. You should have all of this to make it complete:
ssmaa.jpg
ssmac.jpg
ssmab.jpg

A complete set can go for a decent amount of money.

The Inspector

One of the Regulars
I think it is a 1948 Singer button hole attachment. Now all you need it the machine to attach it to. You should have all of this to make it complete:
ssmaa.jpg
ssmac.jpg
ssmab.jpg

I have my grandmother's singer out in the garage but it looks like a basic model it and not all to fancy compared to the ones you see on here. But thanks for the pictures and history. Ill be sure to see what I can find to get a nice complete set!:D

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
You guys are making fun, but I think that razor is just beautiful! I'm always amazed at the amount of design that used to go into even the most utilitarian things. It's like things were *supposed* to be kept and treasured. Gee what's that like?

I agree - that is a really beautiful razor - so pretty - and I love the little diamante!

W-D Forties

Practically Family
ssmaa.jpg
ssmac.jpg
ssmab.jpg

The little clippers are for snipping threads. I usually hold mine the other way up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe