Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
$2.50 for this old Atomic Era desk lamp. Poor old thing still works, but it's begging me to strip it, clean off the rust, repaint, polish... This one'll be a keeper and I'll show you the restored version in a week or several. :)

DSCN2580.jpg

DSCN2584.jpg

DSCN2585.jpg

DSCN2587.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Nice little brass and marble sculpture. About a foot high. Very much like some '40s pieces a Hollywood prop house was recently asking several hundred$ for, but I don't remember there being any takers at that rate. I spent five dollars for this one. In any case, this piece pleases me when I see it sitting on one of my speakers in my study. :)

DSCN2589.jpg

DSCN2590.jpg

Old brownish felt:
DSCN2591.jpg

Foofoogal

Banned
The seagulls brass reminds me of the Jonathan Livingston Seagulls book. I have it somewhere. :eusa_clap

Missing the beach as I speak. I love hanging out on the beach.

Warden

One Too Many
Look what I have just bought.

20863.jpg

It is a working PAC tested cooker which according to the Internet was produced between 1951-1959.

Tiny, down-sized cooker for use in any 13 amp plug socket., Primrose vitreous enamel on pressed steel, cast iron solid single hotplate, red/cream urea/phenol plastic knob/controls. Literature claims ability to prepare multi-course meals for a family! Price in 1958, £8/12/-.

I have the urge to do some baking.

Harry

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Marla said:
Gene, the Atomic Era desk lamp is really neat! I hope to find one just like that.

I'll keep my eyes open for you.

FWIW, tomorrow I'm going back to a thrift store that hopefully still has the big daddy version of that lamp. A floor standing model with three teardrop heads on it. I've studied it and passed on it because it's big and it needs a lot of restoration. But it's authentic to the late '50s and I think if it's still there I'll take it on as another project on my to-do list.

Ideally, I would be able to re-sell it because although I LOVE that style, it really doesn't go with our 1880s home. I just hope I don't get stuck with another lamp-in-the-attic situation... :eek:

RetroToday

A-List Customer
HarpPlayerGene said:
Resistance is futile...

DSCN2578.jpg

Cool! I have the exact model of weigh scale, found it at a garage sale. I also couldn't resist that brand name.

Mine is painted white and the metal bars on either side of the foot pad are coated in chrome, like the dial scale housing.

RetroToday said:
Cool! I have the exact model of weigh scale, found it at a garage sale. I also couldn't resist that brand name.

Mine is painted white and the metal bars on either side of the foot pad are coated in chrome, like the dial scale housing.

Add another to the list. I have the same scale in my bathroom. It has been there since my grandmother bought it new. :D

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Well, for better or worse I went back and picked up the fifties floor lamp. Functions properly and came with bulbs ta' boot. If only someone had been a bit more careful when slinging paint around it. :mad: I'm adding this to my little infirmary here. Hopefully I can restore it to nearly new looking.

DSCN2605-1.jpg

DSCN2608.jpg

DSCN2611.jpg

DSCN2615.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Got this one too. It also could've benefited from the use of a drop cloth at some point in its past life. I'm calling '40s on this one. I used to have one like it years ago but the gooseneck broke so I'm glad to have another. I usually see them in antique stores from $35 to $75. You know me; I paid a little less than that. ;) :D

DSCN2616.jpg

DSCN2617.jpg

DSCN2619.jpg

DSCN2620.jpg

DSCN2621.jpg

PoohBang

Suspended
that green paint is suppose to be on it....

3715085185_cd9f0d9b1b.jpg

HarpPlayerGene said:
Got this one too. It also could've benefited from the use of a drop cloth at some point in its past life. I'm calling '40s on this one. I used to have one like it years ago but the gooseneck broke so I'm glad to have another. I usually see them in antique stores from $35 to $75. You know me; I paid a little less than that. ;) :D

Derek WC

Banned
Got these records a few days ago.

BingCrosbyMerryChristmas.jpg

This one is from a Teen Challenge.

BingCrosbyWelcomeStranger.jpg

This one came from a garage sale, and is a collection of two records.

Now all I need is a record player. lol

They are in great condition though so I know they'll work.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I gave the little gooseneck number a make-over today.

DSCN2631.jpg

Scraped off the old felt on bottom piece and cleaned off the rust:
DSCN2632.jpg

Naturally, I had to use new old stock sandpaper :rolleyes: :p :
DSCN2636.jpg

Cleaned, painted and polished:
DSCN2643.jpg

New felt on bottom:
DSCN2651.jpg

In its new environment: :)
DSCN2665.jpg

Forum statistics