Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
I went and picked the chair up this morning. $15 bucks! It seems their recliners go for $60, armchairs for $40 or so, and dining room chairs for $15. Because this one was on legs, they marked it the same as the dining room chairs. How about that! Because it's so blocky and the legs screw off, it was incredibly easy to lug across town on a dolly. Here it is with my other chair, which I got a bit before Christmas. Now I just need to find a new apartment to put them in.

P1060616.jpg

Any help on its age?

Your "Dining" chair could be 50's. I would put the design as 50's. It may not have been made until the 60's or not popular till the 60's. The legs are similar in concept to some Heywood Wakefield I have in my living room right now.

Matt

Marla

A-List Customer
Dinerman, I really like how the colors of your chairs match. They look good together, despite being different styles. I think your newest purchase, the one with the legs, looks very 60s. My grandparents have a set of chairs that look similar to yours; they were purchased brand new in 1963.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Marla said:
Dinerman, I really like how the colors of your chairs match. They look good together, despite being different styles. I think your newest purchase, the one with the legs, looks very 60s. My grandparents have a set of chairs that look similar to yours; they were purchased brand new in 1963.

1963 brings up an interesting point. This is something I think I saw on the lounge somewhere once. But wasn't the style of a decade not established until about mid decade? So say 1956-1965 and 1966-1976? Or am I wrong. If I'm right then my guess of 1950's and your reference to 1963 rather then conflict would reinforce...

Matt

poggleberry

One of the Regulars
Some luggage labels I picked up at the Llandudno Transport show in North Wales this weekend, 50p each.
Let's see if they'll stick to my Samsonite.
CIMG3083.jpg

CIMG3084.jpg

CIMG2580.jpg

Legion

New in Town
Hi folks. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm hopelessly thrift shop addicted so I expect this thread is where most of my posts will be going.

I'll start with this because I just collected it from the tailor yesterday. A vintage Burberrys (yes, with the "s" on the end. It's pretty old) wool coat in fantastic condition. I'm a little scared to wear it now because I looked up the new prices of Burberry coats... Ouch! It only needed slight alterations, now it fits like a glove. :eek:

486cdcad.jpg

c470b0d6.jpg

Mav

A-List Customer
MPicciotto said:
1963 brings up an interesting point. This is something I think I saw on the lounge somewhere once. But wasn't the style of a decade not established until about mid decade? So say 1956-1965 and 1966-1976? Or am I wrong. If I'm right then my guess of 1950's and your reference to 1963 rather then conflict would reinforce...

Matt
Seems to be the case. What we think of as the style and culture of a given decade actually runs from roughly halfway through the previous decade up through halfway of the given decade. '56 through '66 seems to be what we think of as the "50s," (more like about '64, but that's picking nits), '66 through '76 as the "60's," etc.. Noticeable in not only clothes and music, but in attitude/ psyche. And it's not all that clear- cut; there's a slow evolution of sorts over that 10 year period. Devolution if you're talking '80's and '90's.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Sharp photo, Forgotten Man. Great knot in that tie, huh?

---------------------

Picked this oldie up for a couple bucks. I call it Dial-A-Tie, or the Wheel Of Fashion. The main part seems like Bakelite. Funny; they left you on your own for the hat choice.

Looks kinda' Deco, doesn't it?

DSCN1215.jpg

DSCN1219.jpg

DSCN1220.jpg

DSCN1222.jpg

and there's several more. :D

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
HPG,

That is the most awesomely awesome thing I have seen in a long time.

Where did you find it? And what are the little metal hooky things for? I wager that they're tie-hooks?

Are you abiding by the wheel's advice? Or...just a little clothing-related novelty? I think a few people these days could do with some serious fashion-and-style advice.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Shangas!

Yup, I think you could easily get a dozen ties on it. The back plate has two small holes for attaching to the wall or back of a door.

Novelty is exactly right. Love this hokey old stuff! :)

Legion

New in Town
I've been on the lookout for a vintage trench for a while now and I found this one in a thrift store today. It's not the usual fawn colour, more a sort of dark military green, which I don't mind. It was meant to have a zip in winter lining which is missing and the coats inside lining is an orange rayon, very similar to the type on the inside of flying jackets. I don't think it is military issue, though. It has no label. Maybe it was on the winter liner?

P1050384.jpg

Lottie

Familiar Face
Not really a yard sale, but i found these in the cellar of a house that was being sold and therefore had its cellar cleaned up:

IMG_0337.jpg

which is storing my fabrics etc now, and this old fridge:

IMG_0348.jpg

there are instructions for putting bricks of ice in the top part to keep it cold glued to the inside and on the back it says "230 volt" - can anyone help me date it?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Lottie! Very nice finds. Bookcase looks beautiful!

The white cabinet thingo is called an icebox. They were the forerunner to the modern refrigerator. Back in the day, the local iceman would come by every week with blocks of ice to dump into your box's ice-compartment. Yours looks like a pretty simple model.

You opened a door or a lid at the top of the icebox, dumped the ice in and then closed it. The cold air circulated downwards towards the food compartment, keeping it cold and the melted ice went down through a pipe at the back of the icebox to a collection pan placed underneath. The pan was usually emptied once a day.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Widebrim said:
^^Yeah, those were great devices! I've got one which is similar, but blue and more triangular in shape. Great find, HPG!

Mine says it's a souvenir of Washington DC! But I bought mine on eBay, I didn't find it at a yard sale ;(

Matt

Lottie

Familiar Face
Shangas said:
Hi Lottie! Very nice finds. Bookcase looks beautiful!

The white cabinet thingo is called an icebox. They were the forerunner to the modern refrigerator. Back in the day, the local iceman would come by every week with blocks of ice to dump into your box's ice-compartment. Yours looks like a pretty simple model.

You opened a door or a lid at the top of the icebox, dumped the ice in and then closed it. The cold air circulated downwards towards the food compartment, keeping it cold and the melted ice went down through a pipe at the back of the icebox to a collection pan placed underneath. The pan was usually emptied once a day.

Thank you for the information, Shangas :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe