Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Johnston & Murphy's Holbrook model, brand-new. . . they're also available with navy leather, which I'm finding increasingly hard to resist buying.

2B4B9C73-3ED0-4B43-8ECA-7CFF7685A45D-3999-0000020079033552_zps89414f82.jpg

I like those Cap Toe Specs!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The shoe trees being in a older vintage shoe can "take out" the very back on the inner heel leather, inside the shoe, where it is sown...until you make sure that area of the shoe is very well conditioned. Take your time with the conditioner, the shoes are old...they need many applications with the conditioner....use your fingers to rub some in and the work it in a few times just keep adding the conditioner and don't be afraid to really use a lot of it, those shoes should soak in about a entire 8 ounce bottle over a weeks time period with ease. You will know when they are conditioned well enough, the texture of the leather will feel soft, wet and cold, and fairly flexible when you have soaked them enough. I would then let them sit a few days before placing the shoe trees back in them. Use the conditioner everywhere on the shoes...inside, outside even on the soles. Those are very attractive vintage shoes, you made out really nicely on them.

I would also (if they were mine) use conditioner on them every two weeks, give them a touch up with the conditioner, you should not have to soak them again but use the conditioner after you clean them and before you shine them. Leather LOVES conditioner it will help those shoe last longer, take a shine better and help making it easier to clean them up before you shine them.

Oh yes, you will need to rub a dry rag inside them after using the conditioner BEFORE you wear them as the conditioner may allow some shoe dye to "bleed" onto your socks. I normally wipe the inside a few times and then put on some old cotton socks and carefully walk around the room to help "suck up" any extra conditioner and of course any potential leather dye.

Good luck and let us know how they look on your feet later!

All good advice from someone who knows especially the point about follow ups. I notice no matter how much Pecards I have used on my vintage shoes over the years they crave the odd extra coat especially where the toes fold the leather and around the lip of the heel area. This is a place that gets notoriously dry due to its thinness.

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
Thanks again for the in-depth advice! I'm pretty green when it comes to footwear, so I appreciate the help. I never thought I'd have the pleasure of wearing genuine vintage, until I found these. Still can't believe my luck, and makes me wonder, what have they been doing all these years???

I will absolutely let you know how I get on with them, and maybe include a photo of them in action ;)

The shoe trees being in a older vintage shoe can "take out" the very back on the inner heel leather, inside the shoe, where it is sown...until you make sure that area of the shoe is very well conditioned. Take your time with the conditioner, the shoes are old...they need many applications with the conditioner....use your fingers to rub some in and the work it in a few times just keep adding the conditioner and don't be afraid to really use a lot of it, those shoes should soak in about a entire 8 ounce bottle over a weeks time period with ease. You will know when they are conditioned well enough, the texture of the leather will feel soft, wet and cold, and fairly flexible when you have soaked them enough. I would then let them sit a few days before placing the shoe trees back in them. Use the conditioner everywhere on the shoes...inside, outside even on the soles. Those are very attractive vintage shoes, you made out really nicely on them.

I would also (if they were mine) use conditioner on them every two weeks, give them a touch up with the conditioner, you should not have to soak them again but use the conditioner after you clean them and before you shine them. Leather LOVES conditioner it will help those shoe last longer, take a shine better and help making it easier to clean them up before you shine them.

Oh yes, you will need to rub a dry rag inside them after using the conditioner BEFORE you wear them as the conditioner may allow some shoe dye to "bleed" onto your socks. I normally wipe the inside a few times and then put on some old cotton socks and carefully walk around the room to help "suck up" any extra conditioner and of course any potential leather dye.

Good luck and let us know how they look on your feet later!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/stetson1939_zps56be353b.jpg.html] [/URL]

Some rather old and neglected Stetson shoes. These shoes have a very odd history to them. They have almost no "foot time" on them since they were made. They have not been stored properly over the past 70 some odd years, and are some what of an odd ball model by Stetson. The inside of the shoe has no wear to them, the soles ( I will take some more pictures later and post) have zero wear on them, everything about these shoes could have been top shelf....but no......these shoes were so dry....so very dry....in fact, these shoes were so dry, Hollywood wanted these shoe for "self made" dry martini's! (shaken not stirred)! LOL!

These shoes are the perfect example of a shoe that has to be brought back from the dead.....the heel area is fractured and where the top apron of the shoe is hand sewn has a few stitches that have "popped" over the years and all due to age but more due to being so dry. SO...going on week two of soaking, my Cobbler thinks these Stetson shoes are late 1930's. But then again they are so odd anything is possible. The are not lined inside, have very seriously heavy hand sewn stitching, the shape of the sole is not spade at all, have some serious curves to them however.....but the color and patina on both the soles and over all the leather was spoiled by the dry factor. So some custom work is having to be done to save these old rascals...if they can be saved. If so these would then be some rare vintage for anyone's collection. These Stetsons have that heft and feel to them like a pair of Gunboats....if you are wearing these and had to "ward off" a mugger, these shoes would be deadly weapons if you tossed one and it hit it's mark, "klunk" one mugger out of commission! lol!

These are why leather conditioner is a must on shoes. Had these shoes had some leather conditioner on them a few times in their life, they would be in not too bad of shape......but my Cobbler is a saint....and of course if he can do the repairs on these, with all the conditioning and care I will give them, I am sure I can make them look close to brand new......then they can find a new home.....too small for me....

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
All good advice from someone who knows especially the point about follow ups. I notice no matter how much Pecards I have used on my vintage shoes over the years they crave the odd extra coat especially where the toes fold the leather and around the lip of the heel area. This is a place that gets notoriously dry due to its thinness.

I've been thinking of making a "soak bag" for my vintage shoes (other than anything suede), a bag I would fill up with maybe a dozen bottles of conditioner, and then just dropping in the shoes and let them sit for a time period of 10 days or so to really soak up the conditioner. I've had now maybe 10 or 12 pairs of vintage shoes so dry that have literally sucked in more than one bottle of conditioner and it is time consuming to have to keep doing applications all day and night for several times in a row...so I think rubbing in the first few applications and then just tossing them in a plastic "soak bag" or even a small plastic tub filled with conditioner would actually work so very well..as long as the entire shoe is involved with a good "drowning" in conditioner! More of less some "shoe scuba diving".....(no sharks allowed) lol! "Oh look, at the shoes in the tub over there, it is JAWS"!!!! lol!

jkingrph

Practically Family
[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/stetson1939_zps56be353b.jpg.html] [/URL]

Some rather old and neglected Stetson shoes. These shoes have a very odd history to them. They have almost no "foot time" on them since they were made. They have not been stored properly over the past 70 some odd years, and are some what of an odd ball model by Stetson.

Stetson shoes. I spent two years in Turkey, 72-74 courtesy of the USAF. Our little "base" exchange started carrying Stetson shoes, in black only for uniform use. These were leather lined, and extremely comfortable, and they had narrow sizes. Our job was supporting the personnel at a major NATO headquarters there, so everyone's duty station was in buildings scattered around a rather small area of downtown Izmir, so we walked everywhere. A lot of side walk surfaces were grooved, to carry away water and were rather rough on shoes, so I probably went through 4 or 5 pair in that two years. I like them so well, just before leaving I purchased a couple of extra pair and shipped home to have for the next few years. I was glad that I did so, because when I returned, I could not find these anywhere. Since that time I have switched to Allen Edmonds, and while very comfortable, they are not as soft and comfortable as those Stetson shoes were.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Thank you for that story, yes indeed, some of the most comfortable shoes I own are vintage and Stetsons normally are very comfy footware. I bet if you could go back in time you would love to grab up a dozen or so pairs of them!

I do find a few more "modern" shoes made that are well done and comfortable, but yet something is almost always "up there" in the quality zone with Vintage shoes. I think actually most newer shoes to be in the same ball park with vintage all the way around, you have to spend some serious cash for. Nothing wrong with Allen Edmond shoes, I have a few pairs, but seriously that are not as heavy made as some of the other shoes out there "vintage" wise and for some reason I have always preferred a heavy made shoe. In part I note that a heavy shoe has more to it, thus the weight factor, and lets face it, cheap shoes do not last...(most of the time) and comfort is important to me when it comes to a shoe. I would love to own a Stetson plain toe oxford shoe.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many

Some rather old and neglected Stetson shoes. These shoes have a very odd history to them. They have almost no "foot time" on them since they were made. They have not been stored properly over the past 70 some odd years, and are some what of an odd ball model by Stetson. The inside of the shoe has no wear to them, the soles ( I will take some more pictures later and post) have zero wear on them, everything about these shoes could have been top shelf....but no......these shoes were so dry....so very dry....in fact, these shoes were so dry, Hollywood wanted these shoe for "self made" dry martini's! (shaken not stirred)! LOL!

These shoes are the perfect example of a shoe that has to be brought back from the dead.....the heel area is fractured and where the top apron of the shoe is hand sewn has a few stitches that have "popped" over the years and all due to age but more due to being so dry. SO...going on week two of soaking, my Cobbler thinks these Stetson shoes are late 1930's. But then again they are so odd anything is possible. The are not lined inside, have very seriously heavy hand sewn stitching, the shape of the sole is not spade at all, have some serious curves to them however.....but the color and patina on both the soles and over all the leather was spoiled by the dry factor. So some custom work is having to be done to save these old rascals...if they can be saved. If so these would then be some rare vintage for anyone's collection. These Stetsons have that heft and feel to them like a pair of Gunboats....if you are wearing these and had to "ward off" a mugger, these shoes would be deadly weapons if you tossed one and it hit it's mark, "klunk" one mugger out of commission! lol!

These are why leather conditioner is a must on shoes. Had these shoes had some leather conditioner on them a few times in their life, they would be in not too bad of shape......but my Cobbler is a saint....and of course if he can do the repairs on these, with all the conditioning and care I will give them, I am sure I can make them look close to brand new......then they can find a new home.....too small for me....

cool looking shoes. Almost a norvegese-type stitch construction. 50's shoes. 3 eyelets + that shape says as much. An interesting variation of the apron toe. Not surprising they are Stetson who pushed the envelope style-wise.

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
Well-worn, but very comfortable. They've got lots of character - ventilated spectators circa mid-1930's. On the inside of the shoe it says "The Southerner."

IMG_9090.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Stetson shoes. I spent two years in Turkey, 72-74 courtesy of the USAF. Our little "base" exchange started carrying Stetson shoes, in black only for uniform use. These were leather lined, and extremely comfortable, and they had narrow sizes. Our job was supporting the personnel at a major NATO headquarters there, so everyone's duty station was in buildings scattered around a rather small area of downtown Izmir, so we walked everywhere. A lot of side walk surfaces were grooved, to carry away water and were rather rough on shoes, so I probably went through 4 or 5 pair in that two years. I like them so well, just before leaving I purchased a couple of extra pair and shipped home to have for the next few years. I was glad that I did so, because when I returned, I could not find these anywhere. Since that time I have switched to Allen Edmonds, and while very comfortable, they are not as soft and comfortable as those Stetson shoes were.

Izmir aka Smyrna....famous place. The loss of Stetson (the company building was actually heritage redeveloped and they also created a factory museum) is the greatest loss to American shoemaking. Along with it you could add Edwin Clapp and Nettletons.

Re LMH2's shoes I would have said 60s from the shape and lacing. I suspect that the stitching is their version of Norvegese. Isshi chimed in to authenticate but that ridging and shape is pure post War.

Well-worn, but very comfortable. They've got lots of character - ventilated spectators circa mid-1930's. On the inside of the shoe it says "The Southerner."

IMG_9090.jpg

Those are pure 50s and need a very long drink of leather conditioner.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
cool looking shoes. Almost a norvegese-type stitch construction. 50's shoes. 3 eyelets + that shape says as much. An interesting variation of the apron toe. Not surprising they are Stetson who pushed the envelope style-wise.

You could be dead accurate on the date...I had no clue, Cobbler felt they were older that me! lol! weeee haaaw!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Izmir aka Smyrna....famous place. The loss of Stetson (the company building was actually heritage redeveloped and they also created a factory museum) is the greatest loss to American shoemaking. Along with it you could add Edwin Clapp and Nettletons.

Re LMH2's shoes I would have said 60s from the shape and lacing. I suspect that the stitching is their version of Norvegese. Isshi chimed in to authenticate but that ridging and shape is pure post War.

Geez....you can see the leather on those is so very dry..please soak them bad boys for at least a week drown them and then let them set a few days before you even wipe the conditioner residue off.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many

Agree 1000%. Great style, but that leather is sadly overdry to the point of no return. The leather strips on the u-tip will crack very badly regardless of conditioning at this point. Someonw wore and loved 'em once upon a time.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many

I still remember your first lesson to me on lacing and era. After several thousand ads archived, you still stand correct.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Shoe experts query; How do I remove polish in order to leather conditon a pair of shoes?

I have a NOS pair of Allen Edmonds Jomax that needs leather conditioner. They are great, comfortable 2 eyelet blucher style black shoes. for days when you wish a heavy heel and thick sole - they rock. The pic below does not do justice to the well shined exteriors. The pics offers to the eye that the shoe has scuffs or marks, while they have neither. The polish makes them shiny, but I notice that they really need conditioner. I presume I need to remove the polish so that the conditioner can easily penetrate the leather. I tried to add conditioner and it just coated the exterior. A big waste of the conditioner.

IMG_5227-M.jpg

Thanks in advance folks, Eric -

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Those shoes are screaming nice! For your question....I would suggest using a stripper (if you look at some of the websites that sell shoe dye, you will see a shoe dye prep stripper) BUT do not use much of it....just a tad bit to get the surface of the leather build up off. NEXT please use some saddle soap and fairly hat water with it, then rinse the shoes...just like washing your face up, soap and lather up a fairly decent old wash clothe, use some fairly hot water and scrub the shoe. Let if dry for about 35 minutes and use a clean rag to wipe them off quickly and then use your conditioner. Those shoes look like they are in fairly wonderful condition, I would think maybe a few thick applications of some good conditioner should do them up, then of course you get to do your shine on them. The conditioner will really help the leather shine as it gives some what of a "finish" for the wax or paste to sit on for the shine to happen. I would use a thick coat first and let it sit for a very long time to dry, use a horse hair shoe brush on that coating, then right away put another lighter coat on and leave it dry for a while...add another lighter coat on and do not polish either of those coats until they have dried a while. Then you can either use the old T shirt to buff shine or a brush but those shoes look like they can handle a shine like a 1959 cadillac, so it would be up to you. As nice as the leather more than likely on those shoes are, if they were mine, I get them in a day or so to be so smooth like silk and you could see Mars reflecting in them! You found some really great shoes....(any in a size 11d)????lol!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Agree 1000%. Great style, but that leather is sadly overdry to the point of no return. The leather strips on the u-tip will crack very badly regardless of conditioning at this point. Someonw wore and loved 'em once upon a time.

You know I am stubborn enough I would still (if I owned those ventilators) a drowning for a week or more...it took years for those lil' doggies to get "dry gulched" at high noon.....and if they are soaked until the leather "oozes" conditioner when the leather is squeezed, they may come back to life enough. Those shoes are worth the effort and if nothing else, a good lesson learned (we all do learn even now) lol! But it would not be a quick conditioner bath....time is what would make the difference soaking them, rubbing the leather now and again and letting them soak more and more.....the way the leather would respond will tell the story...if it is rotted dry it would just "crack and crumble".....(hey I had a school teacher that was crack and crumble, a math teacher) lol ! Good luck to the owner I will keep my socks tied in a knot in hopes it works for him! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE haaaaw! One of the nicest vintage pair of shoes I ever did see...were too dry to wear....so...."shot gun time"...you have no clue how nice a pair of shoes works for a target hanging from a tree a yards away....shoe laces help them pick up the wind a bit and "boom" (nah....just kidding) lol@!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I tried to add conditioner and it just coated the exterior. A big waste of the conditioner.
Hard to tell from the pics but they could be corrected grain leather which doesn't really take to conditioning and fancy polishing. AE have been know to traffic in the stuff in recent years.

IMG_5227-M.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe