Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Those shoes are off the hook fabulous Darhling--it's amazing you can even stand it them! I'll bet the La Perla items are lovely too--they have such beautiful lingerie.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
imoldfashioned said:
Those shoes are off the hook fabulous Darhling--it's amazing you can even stand it them! I'll bet the La Perla items are lovely too--they have such beautiful lingerie.

Thank you! yes the underwear are amazing - very beautiful and very well made, you can truly see why the price tags are higher! The balconette bra looks so amazing and cute on!

lyburnum

Practically Family
Today I got this dress from Gap for work:

IMG_0482.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Nothing vintage, but cheap.
Still Im thinking of the make due and mend thread and two co-workers and I went to a local thrift shop during our lunch hour.

I came out with some nice things for under $11.

THis hat was $3. It will be perfect for the picnic this May.

hatfront.jpg

hatside.jpg

hatback.jpg

And I went to their linens section and picked up some sheets for $2 each (the pink and the blue). They will make great shirts.

georgiaandfabric.jpg

Also picked up this linen tablecloth (the white) for $3. Im going to make some slacks out of that!

LD

Snookie

Practically Family
Lady Day said:

And what are you going to make out of the fuzzyball in the middle? Or was it buy 3 sheets get one dog free? :)

I like the hat. I'm hoping I can find a good hat for the picnic too. I'm not much of a hat-wearer, so I'll have to look hard.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Lybyrnum - that dress is so cute and I really like how wide the skirt part looks! great find!!

Lady Day - The hat is perfect for you, it is great for a picnic! And I am in love with you dog.. aaawww such a cute picture!!!

MissHannah

One Too Many
These are my recent ebay wins...

Cute pale green girdle:
c0b0_1.jpg

70's dress that I think I can rescue into something 40's-ish:
4b69_1.jpg

Snake skin shoes:
82a1_1_sbl.jpg

Cute umbrella:
7595_1.jpg

Cigarette box which now sits on my dresser containing hair pins:
2584_1.jpg

Some jeans of dubious colour that I may need to dye black!
bbjeans.jpg

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
great buys Miss Hannah!! Those collars on the dress looks amazing and summery, the cigarette holder is perfect and that color of the girdle is cute!! (does girdles also cinch in the waist a bit??)

MissHannah

One Too Many
Darhling said:
great buys Miss Hannah!! Those collars on the dress looks amazing and summery, the cigarette holder is perfect and that color of the girdle is cute!! (does girdles also cinch in the waist a bit??)

Girdles are made of elastic which varies in elasticity according to the level of 'support' required. I don't like my hips to get squished so I tend to buy them a bit big and use it as a sturdy suspender belt!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
That swimsuit is great and I love the shape and color of the cigarette holder. Great to see Lady Day has new fabric--I hope that means we'll be seeing more of her fabulous creations soon!

lyburnum

Practically Family
MissHannah just a quick question regarding buying vintage trousers...

You're a similar size to me, but I have no idea what size to look for on ebay. When I tried 24" waist trousers they were way way too small. Should I be looking for something larger than my natural waist? I ask because I've seen you buy a few pairs online.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
lyburnum said:
MissHannah just a quick question regarding buying vintage trousers...

You're a similar size to me, but I have no idea what size to look for on ebay. When I tried 24" waist trousers they were way way too small. Should I be looking for something larger than my natural waist? I ask because I've seen you buy a few pairs online.

I've noticed this too when trying on vintage jeans, but I've never measured them to check that they were measured correctly. Did you verify the measurements? Remember that you might want to leave a little room for ease and movement.

lyburnum

Practically Family
Yeah they were measured correctly, but I'm curious as to what size Hannah looks for. I'm wondering if I should be getting 25" 0r 26" instead.

MissHannah

One Too Many
lyburnum said:
Yeah they were measured correctly, but I'm curious as to what size Hannah looks for. I'm wondering if I should be getting 25" 0r 26" instead.

Well, in all honesty it's a bit hit and miss! You'll notice I sell a lot of jeans on Ebay too - those are the ones that didn't fit. I've worked out that I am a vintage size 12 which is a good starting point but generally I've learned to go for a slightly larger waist measurement than my actual waist size (just an inch or so) as I can always pull it in with a belt if it turns out to be too big. I'm going to be selling another batch on Ebay soon so I'll drop you a line before I do Lyburnum - with us living so close you could try them on beforehand!

Aurora

One of the Regulars
SS851293.jpg

Found this in a charity shop for 20p! Quick question... What is it?! :D I presume it's for putting a paste or cream in - Fairly old, with lid, lots of crazing, no markings, the inside is also quite shallow

Mojito

One Too Many
Aurora said:
SS851293.jpg

Found this in a charity shop for 20p! Quick question... What is it?! :D I presume it's for putting a paste or cream in - Fairly old, with lid, lots of crazing, no markings, the inside is also quite shallow

I agree that it looks like some sort of jar for cream or paste - it reminds me a great deal of some old toothpaste jars, like this one:

http://www.tias.com/11121/PictPage/3923218329.html

They came in a variety of sizes - some were quite small and shallow, like ones found in the Titanic's debris field. A chap working on one of the expeditions to the wrecksite suggested that they might have been the equivalent of our "travel sized" toilettetries.

The basic shape was used for lots of things - cold cream, shaving cream etc. There are a few examples of different types on this site:

http://gosnell.org.uk/JohnGosnell/index.html

Great purchases, everyone - I always enjoy reading about them, even when I don't specifically post about a particular item.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld