Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
SarahB said:
I use small butterfly clips to create a roll effect, very handy when you're in a rush and don't have time to do the real thing. Unlike you I have naturally very straight hair but have the same problem with things slipping out as the hair just doesn't have that much of a grip. When I've curled it I can use the combs (you can get them from Boots or Claires) on the side for a 40s pageboy look but when it's straight there's no chance of them staying put! Have you tried bobby pins?

yeah i have.
i use them for my pin curls. even though i'm not supposed to cos i've been told it leaves a dent in the curl. except it doesn't seem to in mine. :eusa_clap
they're ok for rolls. but if i'm just doin faux rolls in a hurry or i'm just doing big bouffant sections at the front then nothing works except butterfly clips. which is annoying cos sometimes i'd like to put a flower/ butterfly/ cherries in my hair. but as i don't like overdoing it on the hair accessories front, i can't put anything else in when i use my butterfly clips.

just out of interest, have you found a decent setting spray around? i seem to use shine sprays due to lack of other decent products.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
sophia la shok said:
i'm having issues with my fringe at the moment.
i have to hairspray the bejesus out of it for it to hold all day. consequently, when i'm getting my 3rd day out of my pin curls/rollered curls, my fringe starts to get rigid and has bits of hairspray in it from the day before. usually i just brush it out but i'm always really conscious about getting dried hairspray white bits showing.
eugh. the bane of my hair-do's.
anyone got any ideas...

sophia, i've had bangs on-and-off for 10 years so i've worked quite a few things out for myself. these are things that work for me. first, i cut them shorter than i used to... that way there's less hair to droop over time. i've found a sweet spot where i cut them back to every week or so. at this length, they even look okay after i wear my bike helmet and sweat! as for washing, i wash mine every day whether or not i wash the rest of my hair. sometimes i cover the rest of it with a bandanna but i usually don't bother. you can do this in the sink so you have more control over the water, if you like. that way, you can avoid the white bits, and have fresh clean bangs! (cuts down on forehead-breakouts for me as well, since the hair is cleaner.) then i just blow dry them real quick, use the curling iron, spray a tiny bit of hairspray, and i'm done!

hope some of this works for you :)

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
So here's me, attempting the three roll hair do Jitterbugdoll made famous. :)

DSC01262.JPG

DSC01270.JPG

I should cross post this in the "Show us your lippy" thread. This is L'Oreal, Leading Lady Red.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PolkaDot, your rolls came out lovely:eusa_clap and it's so nice to see a picture of you and finally put a face with your posts!!:)

For you ladies having trouble having clips stay in your hair, there are a couple of things you can do. I have very "slippery" hair too and I find bobby's work fine, but for doing a roll I use two pins and criss cross them to hold them in place. Another thing that might help is teasing your hair by back combing it and spraying it a bit before rolling for an up-do. Just back comb and spray the heck out of it, then gently comb it just enough to make it look neat and smooth, and roll. This also helps to give more volume at the roots and makes your hair much easier to roll. I know with my hair being hard to hold, if I don't tease it before rolling, it would just slip right out of my hands before I even got a chance to get the bobby pins in.
One more thing you could try is bigger bobby pins. They are longer and thicker and I think they have stronger hold than the smaller bobby's. I also like them because I can usually get away with just using one of these longer pins in my rolls, instead of having to use as many as 4 of the smaller pins in each roll. Sometimes when I use these bigger pins I'll secure it with a smaller pin just to give some added tightness. But since I started teasing and spraying before rolling, I have been able to use one big pin in each roll.

I hope you find some of this useful. Happy Hair doing:D

SarahLouise

Practically Family
sophia la shok said:
yeah i have.
i use them for my pin curls. even though i'm not supposed to cos i've been told it leaves a dent in the curl. except it doesn't seem to in mine. :eusa_clap
they're ok for rolls. but if i'm just doin faux rolls in a hurry or i'm just doing big bouffant sections at the front then nothing works except butterfly clips. which is annoying cos sometimes i'd like to put a flower/ butterfly/ cherries in my hair. but as i don't like overdoing it on the hair accessories front, i can't put anything else in when i use my butterfly clips.

just out of interest, have you found a decent setting spray around? i seem to use shine sprays due to lack of other decent products.

Another tip is to do rolls and other things on not freshly washed hair as this is usually too slippery to hold anything. The tiny butterfly clips I use match my hair colour so adding a flower to the front is no problem, although I do have ones with really tiny red roses on them in which case I wouldn't use any other accessory.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Okay, I tried to do a search but I get so many hits here that I get overwhelmed. I must be doing something wrong.

The electric rollers work well, but my hair keeps coming out very 70's and 80's looking. I just can't seem to get the hang of this. I am thinking I can do rolls in my hair and curl my bangs as they are short and are the only thing I can manipulate to look vintage. Does anyone have any tips on making these rolls. I tried Daisy's suggestion of a cold curling iron but it doesn't work due to my layers. :(

Also, are butterfly clips those things they use at the hair salon to hold hair while cutting, coloring, etc. Yes I am hair illeterate. :D

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Kimberly said:
Okay, I tried to do a search but I get so many hits here that I get overwhelmed. I must be doing something wrong.

The electric rollers work well, but my hair keeps coming out very 70's and 80's looking. I just can't seem to get the hang of this. I am thinking I can do rolls in my hair and curl my bangs as they are short and are the only thing I can manipulate to look vintage. Does anyone have any tips on making these rolls. I tried Daisy's suggestion of a cold curling iron but it doesn't work due to my layers. :(

Also, are butterfly clips those things they use at the hair salon to hold hair while cutting, coloring, etc. Yes I am hair illeterate. :D

Before I got my hair cut and I did a full roll, and not the little ones I normally did, I used a hot curling iron. Spray with hair spray, roll, hold, gently remove, reroll with fingers and clip. [huh]

Daisy Buchanan

Kimberly said:

I use a hot curling iron as well. I heat it up to almost the highest level, spray my hair before curling, then spray again. I have to hold it there for a couple of minutes, and it does take some manipulation to get the hot sticky iron out of my hair. I usually end up tilting my head to the opposite side the roll is on then taking the iron out, this way the weight of my hair won't cause the roll to flop down. I use a 2 inch barrel which is pretty big, but my hair is long and I have a lot of it. With shorter hair you will want to use something smaller. Maybe and inch and a half, or possibly an inch. Also keep in mind that the bigger the barrel the bigger the roll. I usually have to do some pulling and tugging to make my roll a little less big from the larger barrel curling iron. But I have tried the smaller ones, they don't work well for me. If I wrap it in a smaller barrel iron, my hair doesn't fully heat up because the roll is thicker. I could probably use a smaller barrel, which might lead to less fuss afterwards, in the term of tucking the roll in to make it look smaller. But, the larger barrel just works better for the amount of hair I have.
Definitely use a heated curling iron. This, combined with a good hold hairspray and larger bobby pins should give you good, strong rolls. When I do this method, my rolls are really long lasting. I have slept in them without a hair covering, and only needed to do a little fixing, smoothing out the next morning. The heat is key, it really sets the hair. Good luck and let us know how it goes:)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Oh, and as for butterfly clips I think they are talking about the smaller jaw clips that you squeeze together to open and release to close....usually in the shape of butterflys or flowers. Usually a cheap place to buy them are at dollar stores.

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
kimberly- don't loose hope with your rolls. i'm having just the same problem as you except it's just because i'm such a clutz when it comes to styling. we'll figure them out. promise. ;) the girls here have given me so much more confidence and it's assuring to know that i will be able to do it well one day. with lots and lots of practice.
i'm just starting to try rollers with my pin curls. rollers have been hurting my head at night, so i'm waiting till payday to get some foam strips.

faythe- yes it's those little jaw type clips. :)

daisy- you're a genius. you always have an answer to hair problems. thanks!

sarah- thanks to you as well. nice to have a new friend over here.:eusa_clap

you girls are the cats pyjamas.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Okay, today was better. I think by the end of the week I will be a pro. I set my hot rollers super tight today and didn't comb anything once I was done. I just sprayed it with a ton of hairspray and put some pins in there.

Top view.

hairrollsfront.jpg

Face View
hairrolls.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Polka Dot I love your rolls, and your lips! Great job!

Sophia and Kimberly, I would suggest ratts for both of you. They help with the pins slipping out, (also criss cross them), but give the pins more to dig in to.

Esp. for you Kimberly with the short layers. Pretend the ratt is a roller and roll your hair up, then use hair pins, not bobbies to secure the hair that is coming over top of the roll. Use bobbies underneath to hold tight. Hope that makes sense!
Ratts from your own hair are best!

Nikki

pretty faythe

One Too Many
My 8 year old let me play with her hair while she watched Mickeys Club House. lol
victory.jpg

The things we do when bored! Her hair is funner, its longer, but was a pain, needed to wet the ends they were getting a little crazy on me.
It was much neater earlier on this morning, this was at night, before her shower.
Ok, prob a vary obvious question that I am going to answer myself. Hair pins, those are the ones that are curvy on both side and have a gap between them, unlike the bobbies, correct?

Daisy Buchanan

Kimberly said:
Okay, today was better. I think by the end of the week I will be a pro. I set my hot rollers super tight today and didn't comb anything once I was done. I just sprayed it with a ton of hairspray and put some pins in there.

Top view.

hairrollsfront.jpg

Face View
hairrolls.jpg

Your hair came out really nice Kimberly:) I love the curls on the top, they came out so neat and tidy!!

I have to resist the urge to chop my hair. The hot weather is finally here and having longer heavy hair on my neck is getting annoying. I'll probably get a trim but really have to resist the urge to cut it all off.
I've also been wearing it straight a lot more. I noticed my hair was really starting to dry out and break. I take a low dose of chemo every week and this has greatly thinned out my hair. I've probably lost about half of it. Luckily I'm on such a low amount that I won't lose it all. But, I don't want to do anything to it that might cause more to fall out. So, I've been wearing it straight, pulled back on the sides, sometimes in rolls or a chignon. But, I'm just trying to reduce the amount of products, and I've been using my bonnet dryer for deep conditioning, which is making it really soft and shiney.
I can't say I don't miss rolling my hair every night! Besides, I think I look better with straight hair, a little soft wave or curl for some body, but too much curl makes my head look gigantic:eek:!!

Daisy Buchanan

Wow Miss Neecerie, your hair came out great!!!
It's gotten so long. I like it with some length, not that it didn't look good shorter, I just think it looks great this way. Also, I noticed that your curls are not kinky at all, and all a great size.
This is a good look for you:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld