Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Dracca

One of the Regulars
SarahLouise said:
I have problems keeping curls in no matter what the weather is like because at the end of the day my hair just wants to remain straight! When I know it's going to be a rainy day I don't even bother setting my hair because I know by the time I even walk to the bus stop they will fall flat. I have problems with the wind too, particularly the tube station I get off for work; it's like a hurricane in there and it completely ruins my hair.

Fleur - I think it'll look really great! I've already booked my next trim with Nina for December because I know how fully booked she gets.
Yea my hair is a bit like that too, I do mousse on dry hair then hairspray on each section before I roll it. Then put it all in hot rollers for over an hour (long after they are cool) with hairspray over the rolled hair too. I am fine in the desert but if I am anywhere humid, it lasts about an hour tops. If I let it set overnight from wet hair it stays better but it's WAY too curly then. Granted you can't sleep in huge rollers but it is so fine that it just puffs up and out and I have more out of control fluff than curls if I do that.

:eusa_doh:

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I'm just in the process of doing mine for a night out (1940s dance) I'll let you know how I get on. Have pin curled two small rows at the front, side parting and then finger curled the back. I washed it yesterday and then use a plant mist thing to just damp it down slightly. I've used a Wella hair product from Sally Hairdressing supplies called 'crystal shine' to set it. Normally I'll use setting lotion but they smell so strong and I'm stuck with 40s hair until I wash it! Will post the results tomorrow!
K
set.jpg

set2.jpg

Ada Veen

Practically Family
My hair never curls. No matter what I do - sleeping in rollers, tonging, setting, it always looks like this after about an hour:

IMAG0148.jpg

I took this in the toilets of a pub after having rollers in all night and all day, then got on the bus, ordered my drink and bingo! flat, and then poker straight again an hour later.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
Right there with ya

Ada Veen said:
My hair never curls. No matter what I do - sleeping in rollers, tonging, setting, it always looks like this after about an hour

I could get a chemical perm and two days later it would fall out. I now curl my hair with a curling iron and it would stay in for a day. I color my hair so it is a little more courser and holds a curl better. I haven't tried pin curls.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
lyburnum said:
Have any of you lovely UK ladies ever used pimps and pinups in London? If so, was it any good?

http://www.pimpsandpinups.com/

I went past that with my boyfriend, and he was like "why is a pimp a good thing?" Is it just me, or does it just connote exploitation and trafficking?

I have had my hair cut by Nina, she was very good. It cost me £38 for cut, blowdry and style.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
The do came out ok, but the dance was rubbish!!!
Only problem was that it started with drizzly rain just as we got out of the car and then it was realllly hot inside the venue.
Front turned out really well, very pleased with it but guess what? I forgot my Camera!
Doh!
OUt again next weekend so will try again then.
K

SarahLouise

Practically Family
lyburnum said:
Have any of you lovely UK ladies ever used pimps and pinups in London? If so, was it any good?

http://www.pimpsandpinups.com/

I've walked past it many times but haven't used them. Since you're in London I would really recommend Nina's Hair Parlour in Waterloo. Her prices are very reasonable (even though she blow dried my hair at my last appointment she only charged me for a cut) and she really understands what you want. I wasn't even aware that such a place existed until she added me on myspace and believe me I am so glad she did! I wouldn't use any other hairdresser now.

lyburnum

Practically Family
Yeah I've thought about using Nina's as well. Just wanted a comparison! Haven't really got much money right now for a cut though :(

pixie

Familiar Face
Success at last!!!

I have been trying to do the rolls forever and no matter what I did, they would not work, I bought hot rollers, tried pin curls, back combing and I could never get it to work. My mother in law gave me large barrel curling iron and I was trying a different style that was not working and I thought that I would give the rolls a go with the curling iron and low and behold it worked. It was a total fluke and it stayed in so well. I was so happy that I danced around the living room for 20 minutes saying I did it, I did it!! I am such a dork....

I tried to upload a picture but it did not work, I am not sure what I did wrong, but my avatar is one of the pictures anyways. I had a nice black snood on as well.

zaika

One Too Many
did my friend's hair last night...my first time doing pincurls on someone else's head! it was actually a lot of fun...we watched my favorite movie 'it happened one night' ate pizza and did hair. so...i posted the pin curl set in the pin curl thread (because it was so pretty and i wanted to brag...just a little...:eek: ). but here are the pin curls and the finished product. she slept on them overnight, and i went over to her house the next morning to brush it out...but she was sick so i didn't want to stay for too long.

pin curl set:

DSC04796.jpg

DSC04797.jpg

brushed out (the girl has so much FREAKING hair)...it turned out huge even after i tried brushing it into place...but i like it...she couldn't stop laughing.

DSC04817.jpg

then i tried some rolls...with some more brushing and whatnot...i think it would have turned out really well.

DSC04818.jpg

we'll be doing this again (prolly for my birthday shindig in december) and i'll take more time to style it a little bit neater. lol

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Ada Veen said:
My hair never curls. No matter what I do - sleeping in rollers, tonging, setting, it always looks like this after about an hour:

IMAG0148.jpg

I took this in the toilets of a pub after having rollers in all night and all day, then got on the bus, ordered my drink and bingo! flat, and then poker straight again an hour later.
I love your outfit. You remind me of pictures I've seen of Sophie Scholl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe