Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Kimberly

Practically Family
My hair didn't come out the way I expected. It looks very 80's today which means I have to reset it again tonight. :eek:

I also found that some of the rollers fell out while I was sleeping. Does anyone have and suggestions on how to prevent this?

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Kimberly, I'm sorry your hair didn't turn out like you wanted it to. But the story you told trying to get that look was just too hilarious! I don't have any suggestions about how to keep the curlers in when you sleep. Its never worked for me, no matter what type of curlers I use. I think when I'm sleeping I must be wrestling with a sumo wrestler! My hair is always mish-mashed when I wake up and some days it looks like a camel licked the side of my head. That's why I have to use hot sticks and curling irons to get a somewhat vintage look.
Today, I used less curlers (sticks) and larger amounts of hair for each section. I think I like this style better than my other one and it takes less time, a big plus. I'm trying for a long 30-ish hairstyle, and with some more practice, I think I'll get something close.

sue_s_do_4.JPG

Maybe we ought to have a Powder Room slumber party and do each other's hair!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
BonnieJean said:
Kimberly, I'm sorry your hair didn't turn out like you wanted it to. But the story you told trying to get that look was just too hilarious! I don't have any suggestions about how to keep the curlers in when you sleep. Its never worked for me, no matter what type of curlers I use. I think when I'm sleeping I must be wrestling with a sumo wrestler! My hair is always mish-mashed when I wake up and some days it looks like a camel licked the side of my head. That's why I have to use hot sticks and curling irons to get a somewhat vintage look.
Today, I used less curlers (sticks) and larger amounts of hair for each section. I think I like this style better than my other one and it takes less time, a big plus. I'm trying for a long 30-ish hairstyle, and with some more practice, I think I'll get something close.

sue_s_do_4.JPG

Maybe we ought to have a Powder Room slumber party and do each other's hair!

Fantastic Bonnie. I will definetly buy hot sticks now. What you did is what I'm looking for.

(side note: whenever I see your posts the song Bonnie Jean from Brigadoon goes through my head).

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Gridwitch,
I also touched up the sides above the curls with my triple barrel curling iron to give it some more waves. I did notice when I was brushing it out that I could easily have switched to a more 40s hairstyle if I didn't use the curling iron and maybe added some rolls (if I was that talented). I used the larger sticks and put 2 on each side and because my hair is fine and thin, only one in the back and then 1 on each side of my face a little higher up. I left them in a little longer than I would had done it in smaller sections (about 3 minutes, but my hair curls easily too). Now that I'm getting the hang of the hot sticks I really like them because they're so versatile. I also noticed that I don't "fry" my hair with them like I would with a curling iron

:eek:fftopic:
Grnidwitch said:
...whenever I see your posts the song Bonnie Jean from Brigadoon goes through my head).

Oh, I haven't heard any songs from Brigadoon in years! There were a lot of good songs from that. I think I'm showing my age here!

jonniangel

One of the Regulars
Bonnie Jean - your hairstyle is exactly what I've been trying to do for a while now, with not nearly your level of success!

I want to get Hot Sticks but I find 2 different manufacturers - Conair(on Ebay) or BaByliss (on Amazon). Which set are y'all using? I'm thinking probably Conair? I've been using a curling iron and my poor blonde straw is definitely getting fried.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
jonniangel, I hear ya about the fried hair thing, been there.
I use the Conair Hot Sticks. (I got them at Wal-mart) I haven't used the Babyliss ones. I used to have the Conair Hot Sticks years ago when they first came out but I never liked the hairstyle that it gave me (before I turned to vintage) and I ended up giving them away. :eusa_doh:

It may have been Jitterbugdoll who suggested a while back to try the Hot Sticks for a pin curl look and that's when I decided to give them a shot again. I'm so glad I did because its helped give me the style I've been wanting to achieve that a curling iron/hot rollers couldn't do. It takes a little playing around to figure out exactly how much hair/how long to leave the sticks in, but its well worth it. My hair is colored, so I have to be careful in how long I let heated stuff stay on my hair.

The real test will be this summer when our famous Illinois humidity comes in full force. None of my curls would ever stand a chance. But this year I'm armed with my hot sticks, lottabody and hairspray, so I'm hoping I'll still have curls at the end of the day.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
BonnieJean

Lottabody, ok, now where do I get that? I found the Conair hotsticks at Walmart on my lunch hour. I didn't want to invest just yet (chicken.....). But I will pick them up soon.

epr25

Practically Family
I got lotta body at my local Sally beauty supply. I think they may carry it at Walgreens. I don't dilute mine before I use it and my roller set usually weather permitting lasts a week.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
CanadaDoll... Yes! We could then have the world's greatest hair! :p lol

Daisy... Thank you. Believe me, it has taken YEARS to control my hair! Even still I have kink and frizz along my hairline that ruins the look for me. Anti-frizz products don't work for me unfortunately. I have the opposite problem as you (mop top) I always get that one section that I make too big and all my hair is curly except for one straight strand! *shakes fist at hair*

Pidgeon Toe... You know, your hair may just be like mine. Any hint of humidity and my hair droops when I brush through it. I have a pallie who lives about 1 hour east of LA. Way way way far from the ocean and there is low humidity there, but my hair will not hold a curl when I visit him. :( Boo! I do not know if this will work, but try to spray your hair with hairspray that is extremely stiff before wrapping it in the curler to set. I am talking about those hairsprays made for mohawks, not a sauve or drugstore brand. Try that and see if that helps. [huh]

Hamilton Honey... You are welcome. :)

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Grnidwitch said:
BonnieJean

Lottabody, ok, now where do I get that? I found the Conair hotsticks at Walmart on my lunch hour. I didn't want to invest just yet (chicken.....). But I will pick them up soon.

I found the Lottabody at Wal-mart too!
Its in the hair care section in the ethnic part. I don't dilute it, but I did put some of it into a small spray bottle to make it easier to use. It was pretty cheap too. So when you decide to take the plunge and get the hot sticks, I'll bet you'll find the Lottabody there too.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jonniangel said:
Bonnie Jean - your hairstyle is exactly what I've been trying to do for a while now, with not nearly your level of success!

I want to get Hot Sticks but I find 2 different manufacturers - Conair(on Ebay) or BaByliss (on Amazon). Which set are y'all using? I'm thinking probably Conair? I've been using a curling iron and my poor blonde straw is definitely getting fried.

I use the Babyliss ones and I'm very happy with them.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
epr25 said:
I got lotta body at my local Sally beauty supply. I think they may carry it at Walgreens. I don't dilute mine before I use it and my roller set usually weather permitting lasts a week.

in this case.. how do you shower? every time i curl my hair, it will last but then i have to take a shower, and the humidity just KILLS it.
[huh]

Kimberly

Practically Family
Okay, I have given up on the shower cap for the evening and instead am using a wide crochet knit hat. I never wore it in the winter because the weave is so lose it didn't keep my head warm. It was very cute and made by an Italian designer so I bought it for a buck. Little did I know it would become one of my biggest assets. ;)

Anyhow, curling my hair has become easier (practice makes perfect I guess). I also put some of the wave clips on the bottom of my hair and those have already dried and I have the waves I did when I was a little girl which I am so excited about. I am crossing my fingers that my hair looks more like Lana Turners tomorrow instead of Ivanna Trump with shorter hair. lol

Kim_B

Practically Family
Alrighty, ladies...I present to you, my first ever attempt at rolls. (Please excuse my "glowing" forehead...in not so lady-like terms, I sweat like crazy when I'm trying to do my hair!)

032407_11321.jpg

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
That's funny Kim I was experimenting with rolls this weekend too (to see if it would work with my short hair).

Here's what I came up with:
21059255_l.jpg

I noticed the same problem I always have with rolls. The left side (in photo) looks great, the right not so much.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Pink, I am totally laughing at both of our "posing" techniques...I had to crop my photo because my eyes/brows looked too angry! lol

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
exquisitebones said:
in this case.. how do you shower? every time i curl my hair, it will last but then i have to take a shower, and the humidity just KILLS it.
[huh]

A tight fitting shower cap. With enough of the right setting lotion/spray/gel/ your hair shouldn't need too much fixing after taking the cap off.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Okay, it came out a little better today. It is still super curly and I guess I need bigger rollers to make it less curly. [huh]

Anyhow, here is a pic. I put it in black and white because my eyes looked red and the glare on my face made me look sallow. :eek: :D

fullblackandwhite.jpg

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Oh, Kimberly, that looks so cute!
You can also try using more hair on each roller to get a less tight curl too.
But you've got a beautiful face so I imagine any hairstyle looks good on you.

Are you still sleeping in hard curlers or do you use the sponge ones?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe