Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Kimberly

Practically Family
OK, I went to a place that I thought was Sally's, but it was Facemakers. :(

Anyhow they had nothing but a shower cap and hairpins so I bought those. I will try my first pincurls tonight. I just hope I don't come out looking like Little Orphan Annie like I usually do. :p

Snookie

Practically Family
Wow, thanks guys, for all the nice comments. My hair is definately my bete noir in terms of my appearance, and all the nice compliments make me feel more confident.

I think someone else mentioned a while ago that my avatar looks like Hillary Swank. I think my face is much too round to look much like her, but I think she's beautiful! And Judy Garland, I've been enamoured by her since I was little. I guess I should work on my singing and tap dancing so that I can get impersonator gigs, huh? ;)

Grnidwitch: Another thing -- sometimes my hair looks too flat on top when I use the combs. Don't be afraid to really push them forward to get more volume. (Every time I think I've gone too extreme, I see a picture and realize I need MORE volume on top!)

Snookie

Practically Family
Joie DeVive said:
Now wait, what was that old saying??

Horses sweat, men perspire and women glow?? lol

Sorry, I just had to!

HA! Last night I apologized to a dance partner b/c I was "glowing" more than him. (I think he got it. I hope.)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Kimberly said:
Lolita, I love the pics! The one with the black hat and black jacket is so classy. How many pins do you need in order to get your hat like that? I am clueless when it comes to keeping my hats on. lol

Thank you. My black hat actually has two grippers... I guess that is what you would call them. It doesn't have a band or elestic to hold the hat on so I just slip on long bobby pin through my hair and through the gripper and then through my hair again. The photos are kind of hard to see with the hat being black.
IM000885.jpg

IM000889.jpg

IM000893.jpg

For the blue hat... the elastic band actually broke off so now when I wear that forward like a tilt, I actually flip the inner sweatband out slightly and use one bobby pin to pin that part to my hair.

Snookie

Practically Family
How long should a hat gripper be? Maybe 1 1/2", or smaller? Is it supposed to be used with a pin, or did you invent that?

I know NOTHING about hats!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Snookie said:
How long should a hat gripper be? Maybe 1 1/2", or smaller? Is it supposed to be used with a pin, or did you invent that?

I know NOTHING about hats!

Snookie... I don't know exactly what that part of a hat is called, I just call it a gripper. It's just metal that is bent (built into the hat) that holds it snug to the head when it is worn properly. Since I am wearing the hat as a tilt instead of flat on my head, I use those "gripper" things to put a bobby pin through to hold it in place on a tilt.

Here is another hat I have with those grippers. You can see when it is worn on the head properly it grips to the head, but when worn incorrectly, I use the grips (since they are bended metal) as a lift and bobby pin it into place. Hopefully the pink hat will help show the hold better than the black one.

IM000894.jpg

IM000895.jpg

IM000898.jpg

IM000899.jpg

IM000900.jpg

IM000903.jpg

Snookie

Practically Family
Wowee! What great pics- thanks for posting! I like the idea of using them to help keep the hat at a jaunty angle. I think it's interesting that the grippers match the hat - if I ever make a hat, I think I'd opt for clear or a color to match my hair.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Lolilta, thanks for posting those pics. I will be on the lookout for hats with grippers going forward! None of mine have them and I was wondering why I couldn't keep them on. :D

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
WOWWWEEE Lolita! Those pics really look vintage. Can you be any more adorable!?:rolleyes:
Great hats too!

Snookie I always thought your avatar WAS some star shot from a film or somthing, :eek: And you DO have the Hilary/Garland thing going on. Love that blue dress!

Nikki

Snookie

Practically Family
ohairas said:
Snookie I always thought your avatar WAS some star shot from a film or somthing, :eek: And you DO have the Hilary/Garland thing going on. Love that blue dress!

Ackk! Too sweet!:eek: My avatar is from the Seaside Ball last year out here in San Pedro, and I'm wearing my wedding reception dress (that I justified buying b/c I can wear it to 1920's events...)

Relevant to the hair thread, I also did my hair that night with Hot Sticks, and just changed the curler pattern in the front. My hair was also shorter then, and all one length. Magically, it turned out to have a slight fingerwave pattern. (I think the key was my brushing technique -- trying to keep it smooth rather than fluffy, and not fluffing it with my hands after brushing.) I doubt I can replicate it this year, with the new haircut. [huh]

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
When I met you at the QM I thought you reminded me of someone!!
So did I! In fact, I figured it was because Snookie totally has the 1940s Girl Next Door look going...which is a total compliment. I thought your husband reminded me of the actor Paul Bettany (another compliment).

Kimberly

Practically Family
Okay, I attempted pincurls last night which was a dissaster (I bought hair pins that were too big) so I curled my hair with vintage perm rods and used the hair pins to secure it. I suffered one night of sleeping in such a state and woke up early this morning to check my work. Well, I look worse than Rosanna Rosanna Danna, I look more like Jimmi Hendrix. I have short frizzy curls that go in every direction you can think of. LOL, it's so bad I put on a knit hat in fear one of the kids will wake up to use the bathroom and laugh at me. lol

So, off to the shower I go and I will use a curling iron to fix this disaster. I found a Sally's and I am going to have to get small and medium sized rollers in order to tame this mane of mine. I am also going to get those awesome finger wave rollers that Pink owns.

This is mighty hard work. :eek:

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Kimberly said:
Okay, I attempted pincurls last night which was a dissaster (I bought hair pins that were too big) so I curled my hair with vintage perm rods and used the hair pins to secure it. I suffered one night of sleeping in such a state and woke up early this morning to check my work. Well, I look worse than Rosanna Rosanna Danna, I look more like Jimmi Hendrix. I have short frizzy curls that go in every direction you can think of. LOL, it's so bad I put on a knit hat in fear one of the kids will wake up to use the bathroom and laugh at me. lol

So, off to the shower I go and I will use a curling iron to fix this disaster. I found a Sally's and I am going to have to get small and medium sized rollers in order to tame this mane of mine. I am also going to get those awesome finger wave rollers that Pink owns.

This is mighty hard work. :eek:

I had thought about using perm rods. Thanks for being the guinea pig. Looks like I'll go with rollers of some kind. I was on Sally's website and saw that they have quite a few to select from. I'm hoping that I'll get nice waves with curled ends. I'll keep ya'll posted when I finally get the chance to try it.

Kimberly

Practically Family
thebadmamajama said:
Does anyone know if Sally's carries fingerwave rollers/clips?

Yes they do. Pink Dahlia posted a picture of what they looked like and I bought them with ease thanks to the picture (I forgot what thread the picture was on. I looked a couple pages back on this thread and didn't see it.

Now I have to figure out how to use them. lol. I also bought pink foam rollers, Queen Helene conditioner because my hair is getting fried from the curling iron and a bunch of other stuff. My jaw hit the floor when the grand total came to over $60!! You can do some serious damage there without even realizing it.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've tried a lot of different curling contraptions over the past few years. I've come to realize that no matter how much I like the look of tight pin curls on others, they just don't suit the shape of my face. I've recently been doing a looser and thicker curl, and like the look, even if I'm not all that sure of how vintage it is. Anyway, I've found a few different types of curlers that I'm happy with. The above mentioned hotsticks are great for a heated set.
Jitterbugdoll was nice enough to introduce me to a foam stick roller from Goody that are actually really comfortable to sleep in, if you do a wet set, and give me the same type of wave/curl that I get from the Hotsticks. I couldn't find the exact ones by Goody that she recommended, but I did find a set at Adiscount Beauty on line called Sassy Curlers. They look exactly like the ones JBD showed me by goody. They are a foam rod with a tulip at one end that has a hole in the center of it. Just wrap your hair around the rod and stick one end through the hole in the tulip. They work just like the hot sticks, are very easy to use, and I get a great curl from them when I do a wet set.
I also bought from the same place Super Rollers. You cannot sleep in these, they are for a wet set. They are very long foam rods that you can twist into any shape. They come in different widths. I've used them once when I had time to do a wet set during the day time. I liked the curls I got from them but prefer the Sassy Curlers, for they can be slept in.
I did also buy the Ryler Stylers, the large pink contraptions for waving, but have yet to use them.
Good luck and hope someone finds one of these products useful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe