Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Kimberly

Practically Family
I could never do that w/ bobby pins. I have tried that once and it looked terrible. I am going to Sally's tomorrow and stocking up on a bunch of stuff to figure out what works for me.

Right now I am using a curling iron during the week and not getting the results I want. Plus I don't like using a curling iron 5 to 6 days a week because I worry about the condition of my hair.

I can identify with one side of your head that is more challenging than the other. For me it's my right side.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Kimberly, I use these for pin curls:

B0006PS40C.01-A286USASQ0O8B._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

As you know already I'm not a hair expert but I've found easy ways to do cute styles.

For daily curls I use hot rollers. It gives me time to dress and do make-up and when I take them out my hair is done!

Kimberly

Practically Family
Thanks Pink, I am going to buy some of those tomorrow as well. Does anyone have suggestions on setting gel? Also do they have bathing caps there and caps to sleep in. I find that I toss and turn so much while slepping that half my rag curlers fall out of my head by morning. :(

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hi girls.. be sure to check those links I posted in the costmetology thread on do's and don'ts of pin curling... I think it was the www.extremevintage.com one?

Everyone seems to like lottabody lotion from Sally's. They also make hairnets for sleeping in, or going under the dryer. They're big, open weaved triangular shaped nets, usually bright colors. You tie them on like a bandana.

Good job girls, practice makes perfect! Don't forget to pick up a hooded dryer if you can't stand to sleep in your curls or leave them in very long. They're about $30 at Walmart or Sally's.. about $5 at yardsales or ebay.

Nikki

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Long hair help

I've read this thread a 100 times. I finally got the nerve to ask you ladies for help. My hair is straight, fine and below my shoulders. It's not thin, just very fine. I tried velcro rollers last night. What a horror. They made my hair very frizzy. I pulled out much too much hair to try them again. What would you ladies suggest I try now? I curl the ends with a 1 1/2 inch curling iron and I like the results but I'm looking for a more 40's look instead of 70's. I'm thinking that with the right rollers, I can pull my hair back with combs and get a more vintage look.

Thanks girls. I enjoy this place so much.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
When I had long hair I used hot rollers. I don't know how your hair holds curl but mine tends to relax quite quickly. I recommend lots of hairspray!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Pink Dahlia said:
When I had long hair I used hot rollers. I don't know how your hair holds curl but mine tends to relax quite quickly. I recommend lots of hairspray!

Thanks Pink. If there is ANY moisture in the air, it will go flat.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
How well does your hair hold a curl

Grnidwitch said:
I've read this thread a 100 times. I finally got the nerve to ask you ladies for help. My hair is straight, fine and below my shoulders. It's not thin, just very fine. I tried velcro rollers last night. What a horror. They made my hair very frizzy. I pulled out much too much hair to try them again. What would you ladies suggest I try now? I curl the ends with a 1 1/2 inch curling iron and I like the results but I'm looking for a more 40's look instead of 70's. I'm thinking that with the right rollers, I can pull my hair back with combs and get a more vintage look.

velcro rolls have never done a thing for me. I'm a gizmo junkie, so I will take to one routine and then switch up and try something else for a while.

If I am setting wet hair I rub a bit of gel between my palms and work thru then I use soft fabric curlers that snap on the end and interlock. I get nice rag curls this way, but it does take FOREVER for my hair to dry (even with a hood dryer).

Right now what I am tending to do is set my hair with my trusty Caruso steam rollers (I've had this set for 20 years now and its still functioning!) I use roller papers on the ends of the hair around my face (don't do it for the back b/c I'm not that coordinated). I section off the top first and roll that then roll the sides. Once I'm done with my makeup I gently unroll (rather than pull the curlers out). Sometimes the hair is a bit damp from the steam, so I don't immediately brush, but let it set for a bit. I break up the curls with a hair pick and then brush thru with a natural brissle brush.

I've had fabulous, tight-- couldn't-lose-them-if-I tried curls using hotsticks and if you are looking for a set on dry hair you might try these. The draw back for me with hot sticks is that I worry it might be too much stress/heat on my hair for daily use (hence the change over to Caruso steamer). Here when I remove the curls from the sticks I often get curls that are a touch frowzy. If that happens I smooth a scilicon gel (about a dime size) between my palms and lightly smooth over the curls.

In the end you just need to try a few things and see what works for you.

I'm experimenting with pin curls this weekend!

Honey Doll

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I posted these on another thread, but I thought I could post them here as well. Here is how I wore my hair on my recent vacation through Arz. Please ignore my roots... they are UGLY!

IM000827c.jpg

DSCF0674d.jpg

IM000855b.jpg

IM000873d.jpg

Snookie

Practically Family
Grnidwitch said:

I have very similar hair, except that I have long layers around my face. I don't do it daily, but I really only have success with hot sticks. I spray setting lotion, making sure it's very very nearly dry before putting in the curlers. I use roller papers, all my rollers go horizontal (except at the top!), then I finger comb and then brush them out. I just pull the front back with combs, b/c by then I'm tired and running late and don't want to bother with styling. :)

Here's my secret ingredient. Hard Head hairspray by Bed Head. Target has it. It's awesome for hair that drops curl. It's NOT workable, so make sure your hair is perfectly in place before you spray, and hold the can far away. If you need extra hold, let the first layer dry and do a second coat.

Here's a pic I just found from another page that shows my hair. (I wish I had a back view, but believe me, my hair is normally stick straight and baby fine.) I dance and sweat HARD but the Hard Head hairspray holds! (I'm in the blue and white dress...)

IMG_8482-vi.jpg

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Lo, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that pic of you and Jack with the car! Your hair looks beyond adorable!

And Snookie :eek:fftopic:
You look like Hillary Swank. I mean that as a good thing. I totally thought that's who was featured on you avatar.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! I have to admit... that is one of my favourites from the week's adventures.

Oh... and I think Snookie has the Garland thing going! Absolutely gorgeous! No one should be that pretty... she needs to be hit with the ugly stick! hahaha I am teasing.

Pink Dahlia said:
Lo, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that pic of you and Jack with the car! Your hair looks beyond adorable!

And Snookie :eek:fftopic:
You look like Hillary Swank. I mean that as a good thing. I totally thought that's who was featured on you avatar.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lolita, you look great. I really like the picture with the black hat, very classic.

Snookie, I just picked up that hairspray. It really does have a lot of hold, like no other product I've used. That's a great picture of you, and ditto on the Hillary Swank comment. When I met you at the QM I thought you reminded me of someone!!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
LolitaHaze said:

Don't take this the wrong way - because you know I luv ya - but you look like a young old lady in this picture!!! That's a compliment. It really is!!! :) :) :) :) It looks like a photo of someone's grandmother in the 1940s. Again -- COMPLIMENT!!! ;)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Daisy... Thank you. That was a long day so my hair was kinda falling out by the end of the night. The hat is actually a 50's hat, I believe, and I just turn it into a saucer tilt with a few bobbypins. :)

Amy Jeanne... Hahahaha I love you!! I know what you mean. No offence taken. :)

Kimberly

Practically Family
Lolita, I love the pics! The one with the black hat and black jacket is so classy. How many pins do you need in order to get your hat like that? I am clueless when it comes to keeping my hats on. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe