Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

The Shirt

Practically Family
Fifties Freak and Audrey - Thank you so much!

oh I am jealous of you all - i have been suffering with the pin curls terribly. if I wet set I get a big blonde afro, if I dry set they fall out. I just can't get it right.
Smuteralla - Honestly when I do a wet set (combining rollers and pin curls) I end up with a mad 'fro in the morning as well. I use a big paddle brush to relax it a bit and pull it down. I then coax the curls back in separate curls with my fingers. Then around my face I generally have to do some tweaking with a hot iron or I pin the weird parts back in a flower. I have found the magic for me is to start with dry hair, comb some water till its slightly damp and then spray a setting lotion and roll it. When my hair starts too wet - I have more fro action. Too dry and it only lasts a day, so I feel you pain.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
oh I am jealous of you all - i have been suffering with the pin curls terribly. if I wet set I get a big blonde afro, if I dry set they fall out. I just can't get it right.

I'm also stuggling with rolls.

How long did it take everyone to learn? I'm on three days now and I swaer I'm getting worse

:(

Don't worry about the afro, you just have to brush brush brush, fluff fluff fluff, until it's smooth, preferably with a natural bristle brush.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
So today I've got a day off and I'm just about to head off to Vivien of Holloway but the wind and rain are beyond belief today so I thought I should show you my hair before it's ruined!

Hair310108C.jpg

Hair310108B.jpg

..and I also wanted to show you this monstrosity:
BadHair.jpg

That is my hair in its natural, unfettered state. And I mean state!

You're hair, eyebrows, makeup, everything -- just fabulous!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
RetroBabydoll said:
Have any of you ladies heard of women....back in the day......using socks to achieve the pageboy look? Has anyone tried?

I was told by an old lady that I could make my own rat by taking some fake hair (or saving my own from my brush) and stuffing it into a stocking, and just sewing it together.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Thanks Laura

I'm getting my roots done on Saturday morning and am then popping to Salon supplies in Islongton in the hope of getting a bristle brush, pin curl pins et al

*fingers crossed*

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
Thanks Laura

I'm getting my roots done on Saturday morning and am then popping to Salon supplies in Islongton in the hope of getting a bristle brush, pin curl pins et al

*fingers crossed*

Sounds great, remember the small metal clips. ;) And some nice setting lotion.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Sorry...what I meant was....

I heard the ladies used socks while drying their hair to have a pageboy look (the hair wraps under). They'd take the socks out and it would look curled under. Has anyone heard about this?

SarahLouise

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
So today I've got a day off and I'm just about to head off to Vivien of Holloway but the wind and rain are beyond belief today so I thought I should show you my hair before it's ruined!

Hair310108C.jpg

Hair310108B.jpg

..and I also wanted to show you this monstrosity:
BadHair.jpg

That is my hair in its natural, unfettered state. And I mean state!

Your hair looks lovely, how did you pin the back up? Also the colour is gorgeous! Love your lipstick too.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
I tried a wet set of pin curls for the first time last night. I didn't spend too much time making them the same size/neat/in a setting pattern, but I think they were good practice. Unfortunately the back fell out completely :( It seems like it would take me hours to do them properly. Ladies with thick medium length hair, how long does it take you now with practice? I can only hope it will be like second nature for me some day.
2232839663_aeae638995.jpg

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Miss Hannah, again I love the hair!!! Even in it's "state"! hee hee! That was pretty funny. You are one beautiful lady. You really do have perfect eyes and brows.

You ladies are cracking me up with the fro talk.. although I do know what you mean.

I have found through some trial and error that making the diameter of the pincurl larger, it will fro less. And product. I've been using gel and recoil on wet hair..oh and the Shine Shock from John Frieda. There's no fro with all that in the hair. Yet it comes out quite soft! I don't have pics of the last one I did like that. Must remember to to take pics!

MissHannah

One Too Many
SarahLouise said:
Your hair looks lovely, how did you pin the back up? Also the colour is gorgeous! Love your lipstick too.

Well first off, thank you!
I did the back by gathering it like I was going to do a low ponytail, then putting a clip across the bottom of the hair and rolling it up over the clip until it meets the back of my head. Then I pinned it in place. It didn't stay in all day but my hair isn't quite long enough I think. It'll be easier when I've got more hair.
BackRoll.jpg

The lippy is the classic MAC Ruby Woo - it's the ultimate colour and stays put really well.

MissHannah

One Too Many
~*Red*~ said:
Miss Hannah, again I love the hair!!! Even in it's "state"! hee hee! That was pretty funny. You are one beautiful lady. You really do have perfect eyes and brows.

You ladies are cracking me up with the fro talk.. although I do know what you mean.

I have fro issues too, as you can all imagine now you've seen my wild fuzzy bushy au naturel look!

I really like my eyebrows these days - I always hated that i had these big thick black Groucho Marx brows when I was younger but now I'm glad I have them - it's better to start with too much than too little! I also pencil them in to get a good strong line, but I can't pull off that Audrey Hepburn look - it makes me look like a drag queen!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
Well first off, thank you!
I did the back by gathering it like I was going to do a low ponytail, then putting a clip across the bottom of the hair and rolling it up over the clip until it meets the back of my head. Then I pinned it in place. It didn't stay in all day but my hair isn't quite long enough I think. It'll be easier when I've got more hair.
BackRoll.jpg

The lippy is the classic MAC Ruby Woo - it's the ultimate colour and stays put really well.

OOH! I love the back!!!
And you can tell your bangs and hair are getting longer, because you have been able to do more with it, especially the bang area! yay!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Here is how I wore my hair the other day. I seriously think I ate a bowl of ugly that day... my face is bloody pudgy and fug! So ignore that look at the hair.

P1120510c.jpg

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Looks amazing Lolita!! I could never get away with a center part. lol
I really like this shorter 'do. It's fun to change it up a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld