Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

SurfGent

Suspended
KIMG0069.jpg

I'm going to put a better scope on this. It had a cheap Simmons. I have a nice vintage Redfield that will crown this gem !

SurfGent

Suspended
So I wondered what this Whelen was. I had my suspicious because of the bolt shroud but ive seen it on other rifles. But on release from the wood I found I had a CZ action ! Oh boy this week has been full of surprises

SurfGent

Suspended
Also has this nice upgraded timiny trigger. This rifle was a custom job. At one point someone's pride and joy. Check out this vintage Leopold. I'm still doing research trying to determine the age of this rifle but judging from this scope it's pre malt shop era

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
If I was going to commission a custom I'd go with the .338 /06 but since you already have the Whelen, good on yer! There is much to be said for bullet weight and frontal area in a game cartridge. O'Connor won the writing awards but Keith is more my choice in cartridges. Anything bigger than a deer, IMO, ought to have a caliber bigger than .270. Light cartridges (and I have a few) are splendid for open country and across canyons but here in the forested PNW mediums are my choice. And I remember reading that the USFWS discovered that over 90% of big game animals in N. America are shot at less than 125 yards, anyway. Put that in your bean field rifle and smoke it!:p

jkingrph

Practically Family
If I was going to commission a custom I'd go with the .338 /06 but since you already have the Whelen, good on yer! There is much to be said for bullet weight and frontal area in a game cartridge. O'Connor won the writing awards but Keith is more my choice in cartridges. Anything bigger than a deer, IMO, ought to have a caliber bigger than .270. Light cartridges (and I have a few) are splendid for open country and across canyons but here in the forested PNW mediums are my choice. And I remember reading that the USFWS discovered that over 90% of big game animals in N. America are shot at less than 125 yards, anyway. Put that in your bean field rifle and smoke it!:p

The idea of a 35 Whelen has fascinated me, but will probably never be. In my younger days I kept pushing my 30-06 to higher velocities, along with a lot of recoil. As I have gotten older I like some of the milder calibers, especially my Husqvarna 46 in 9.3x57. It throws a rather heavy bullet, of about 270-290 gr at modest velocities, not a real long range cartridge, but then I like the rifle so well with the express style open sight that's the way it will stay. For our eastern woods hunting, I'll probably take dad's old 35 Remington Marlin carbine, or possibly one of my newer Marlins in 38-55 or 45-70

SurfGent

Suspended
KIMG0073.jpg

SurfGent

Suspended
KIMG0070.jpg

It just looks like a normal Mauser shroud. But it's not disengaging from the locking lugs on the firing pin striker end

SurfGent

Suspended
I've taken apart a million Mauser's. I've had the cocking piece be a little sticky but this one feels like there's something holding it on. The Parker Hale's have a few little trick's to getting them apart. I thought maybe this is something you knew about. I Mon - Tues I can go find some help but I just thought I'd ask you till then

SurfGent

Suspended
So I figured out the cocking piece was staked to the firing pin? Never seen that before. Some British guns are real head scratchers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82