Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Nashoba

One Too Many
Thank you, both of you! I wanted something light and summery. I was thouroughly frustrated with a Vogue pattern I've been working on that's a vintage reproduction so since this one was next on the list I just gave up on the other one and moved on. It's a Butterick pattern that from the best I can guess based on my research is late 40's early 50's. I'm in love with it already and I havn't even worn it anywhere! I think this might be one of my new favorites. At least until I finish my next project lol

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Nashoba, glamoursurf and Hamilton Honey: Georgous items!

Nashoba: What a wonderfull summer dress!

glamoursurf: how did you do that? The case looks really beautifull.

Hamilton Honey: Really nice! I think got to give transfers a try some time (but I´m too scared to spoil them)

I desperately try to find out how to make a slit in a buttonhole... So far not even in a biiiiig store they were able to give me advice (I got me something to slit my seams though since I hate to spend so much time do do it by hand when I spoiled it all again ;) But than... you will find towns of projects with buttons by me lol :D

Elaina

One Too Many
I cut my button holes with a seam ripper, but I start in a little past the stitching, pull the point of the ripper through the fabric to the center and do a small tug, and make sure I don't catch ANY threads, the repeat on the other side (Yes, I've ruined a couple of things through the years, luckily tho, they weren't anything but mock ups, and I went too fast.) Trim some loose fabric threads with thread snips and struggle to get the button in for about the first 3 times of wearing. Eventually the cloth rips a little to the buttonhole, but it's a delicate process of not warping the buttonhole by cutting too little, and by not destroying the threads by cutting too much (which is why I go over the holes twice with my buttonholer: that way if I do accidentially get a thread or two, I have an underlying thread that wasn't cut.)

The method taught to me in classes was folding the button hole in half, matching ends, and taking a pair of sharp embroidery scissors and cutting carefully to the ends, trimming fabric as necessary, but to be honest, this took me forever and I invariably hated the buttonhole at the end becuase I was too afraid of cutting too deep.

Either method, if there is fraying due to fabric, or I've made it for my son/husband, I add a small dab of fray check to the underside (the part no one sees). Be careful not to use too much as it can make the holes too stiff for use.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
RetroModelSari said:
I desperately try to find out how to make a slit in a buttonhole... So far not even in a biiiiig store they were able to give me advice (I got me something to slit my seams though since I hate to spend so much time do do it by hand when I spoiled it all again ;) But than... you will find towns of projects with buttons by me lol :D

I use ax exacto knife. In fact, for all my seam ripping I use a DULL exacto knife. I was never too handy with a seam ripper. They feel klunky to me :eek:

LD

Nashoba

One Too Many
Thanks all! I'm going to wear it to my cousin's Bat Mitzvah tomorrow. I was so upset though, when I got to NJ from TN and started to unpack my stuff I found that my setting lotion had leaked all over my bag (idiot that I am forgot to put it in a bag, and just tossed it in my makeup case) and onto the dress and one of my vintage linen dresses. :eek: I freaked! I went crazy spraying it with stain remover and immediately washed both dresses. Thankfully nothing stained permenently and both dresses are good as new. :eek: lesson learned for me

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Nashoba said:
Thanks all! I'm going to wear it to my cousin's Bat Mitzvah tomorrow. I was so upset though, when I got to NJ from TN and started to unpack my stuff I found that my setting lotion had leaked all over my bag (idiot that I am forgot to put it in a bag, and just tossed it in my makeup case) and onto the dress and one of my vintage linen dresses. :eek: I freaked! I went crazy spraying it with stain remover and immediately washed both dresses. Thankfully nothing stained permenently and both dresses are good as new. :eek: lesson learned for me

::gasp:: I am so glad they are ok, I LOVE that dress!!!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Makin' the pig poufy Victorian dress stuff :)
First part's done!
tissotg01.jpg

And my kitty because he likes to help :)
tissotg04.jpg

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
Lauren, nice work! You are super talented!

I laughed when I saw the picture of your kitty sitting on your project because my cats love to do the same thing! Though I have to be careful of those magnetized pin holders because one of my cats loves to play with it and the pins. Yikes! :eek:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Now my items are now way near the cool factor of Lauren's fab creations, but aw, what the hey!

I made some day jackets. I needed something to replace my last sweatshirt (I know :p ) that I generally wear when I walk the pooch, or walk the pooch or, um oh yeah, walk the pooch. The backs are pleated, and finished with vintage buttons.

DSC00616.jpg

DSC00615.jpg

This is one for the house (Im wearing it right now). A gingham seersucker! HA! Now I dont wear the sweat shirt in the home.

DSC00612.jpg

DSC00611.jpg

DSC00610.jpg

Some sort of linen/polly blend I think. The cream edging matched the weave great. Ive had this fabric forever!

DSC00614.jpg

DSC00613.jpg

A 99cent a yard flannel. And I dont do flannel but it was 99 cents!! I have enough for a dress too! Yay!

Thanks,

LD

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Awwwww!!!! What wonderfull new creations!!!

Lauren: That looks like a looooot of hard work!!! But so pretty.

hotrod_elf: My boyfriend badly wants a hawaii-shirt... let´s hope he deosn´t get the idea that I could make one for him. I almost got insane when I tried to make a hawaiian top for me and the fabric just didn´t match. In the end after hours and hours of searching for pieces that match a bit I finally managed to make at least the front match. Oh my it was a horror.

Lady Day: They are so cute!!! I should finish this jacket I have laying around here... Even though I´ll never be able to match the lining but it´s such a shame I can´t wear it. Your teorgous jackets will be my reminder!

Btw.: I actually managed to make button holes by hand-sewing. They don´t look perfect, but they are my first ones and now that I tried it they are not that scary anymore. (I got nightmares about spoiling the dress that I did by spoiling the holes)

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Lauren, as always your work leaves me speechless, just beautiful!!!

hotrod_elf, that shirt is great.

Lady Day, you must be the best dressed gal in your neighborhood with the largest wardrobe :)

RetroModelSari, have you tried practicing buttons holes on scrap fabric. No matter how many I have done I always do a test one before I work one on the garment.

Bubbles

New in Town
I am truly amazed by how talented everyone here is! How many posts do you need to have before you can post pictures? Also, is there a way to perform a search other than just manually looking through all of the threads? I am sure this information is somewhere, but like my co-workers say, I "stink at the internet" :eek: , and was unable to find it!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Bubbles said:
I am truly amazed by how talented everyone here is! How many posts do you need to have before you can post pictures? Also, is there a way to perform a search other than just manually looking through all of the threads? I am sure this information is somewhere, but like my co-workers say, I "stink at the internet" :eek: , and was unable to find it!

You can post pictures now, but they have to be hosted elsewhere, like on Photobucket.com which is free. After the pictures are uploaded there, you can use the little "insert image icon" (it looks like a little mountain with sun sort of scene) in the posting window to link to where the image is hosted.

As to searching...up in the toolbar at the top of all Lounge pages is a 'search' that pulls down a search window so you can type in a search term.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe