Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Thanks so much, gals, for the comments on the shirt! I really, to be honest, wanted to scrap it so many times since the fabric was really wiggly, but I'm glad I stuck with it! Thank you so much, you make me feel it was worth the effort!
I just finished a looooong project, thank goodness! I'm so glad it's over! This is my first tailored jacket for myself with all the proper "guts". I learned it at work this year so was eager to practice at home for myself. Next time, however, I don't think I'll pick a plaid! It was so much more work!
Here's the pattern, from 1937:
pjacket01.jpg

And my finished jacket!
pj01.jpg

pj02.jpg

pj03.jpg

pj04.jpg

Miss RM

Familiar Face
That jacket is beautiful, Lauren! I have some brown wool fabric set aside for making a jacket, but I'm too scared to start. It seems such a daunting task!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
pj02.jpg

Oh, those sleeves!! AMAZING! Ive never done two piece sleeves. Those are two piece sleeves, right?
Is it possible to see the inside construction as well? :rolleyes:

LD

Lorena B

Practically Family
I love it, is fabulous!!, and LD has pointed the sleeves, something that indeed looks really difficult. :eusa_clap So well done!!

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
Lauren said:
Thanks so much, gals, for the comments on the shirt! I really, to be honest, wanted to scrap it so many times since the fabric was really wiggly, but I'm glad I stuck with it! Thank you so much, you make me feel it was worth the effort!
I just finished a looooong project, thank goodness! I'm so glad it's over! This is my first tailored jacket for myself with all the proper "guts". I learned it at work this year so was eager to practice at home for myself. Next time, however, I don't think I'll pick a plaid! It was so much more work!

Ooh, that looks fantastic, and I know matching all the plaids had to be quite a job. Love seeing what you make!:)

Lauren

Thanks, gals! Yes, they are two piece sleeves. Thanks for noticing! Cool!
I didn't really take any pics of the inside, even though I thought I did :eusa_doh: but I did help a friend make a similar jacket at around the same time and took a picture of the inside of hers. This is pretty much what it looks like, but with plaid on the outside instead of herringbone lol
qjacket01.jpg

I learned a lot from work, especially basics, but the rest I did from this book.
Thanks, you're all very encouraging. After doing all the work I can honestly say getting a tailor made suit done is WORTH EVERY PENNY. haha. It was at least four full days of work- possibly five, and all the "guts" can be quite pricey as well. I'm well stocked up now, though, so when I get the inclination I'll make another one soon!

Rachael

A-List Customer
that plaid jacket is great! the colors and the style are perfect- it looks like a vintage piece. and the work that goes into plaid, from the cutting down to the finishing.. :eusa_clap

I have been plugging along on my SWAP; after much wrangling with the Burda sizing I finished my wide-leg trousers. It was worth it; I've already worn them to work a number of times.

3398595095_98ca3b2261.jpg

and of course, my ramblings are on my blog. More to come; I have to get this done by April 17!

Lorena B

Practically Family
DSC00319.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

I have made myself also a jacket with matching high waisted trousers.
fitting the sleeves was a nightmare, it took me a whole day!!!, I have wore it a few times already despite of some little imperfections.

Rachael

A-List Customer
Lorena, what pattern did you use? That's a great jacket; is it a vintage pattern or a reprint? I just can't get enough of jackets, which is why I'm forcing myself to sew trousers and skirts right now to even out the wardrobe.

Lorena B

Practically Family
Rachael said:
Lorena, what pattern did you use? That's a great jacket; is it a vintage pattern or a reprint? I just can't get enough of jackets, which is why I'm forcing myself to sew trousers and skirts right now to even out the wardrobe.
Hi Rachael, is a vintage one, the 4108 McCalls.
It has been my first jacket EVER and I am sure it won't be the last, mind you, I really hope to improve somethings like sleeves, and tidy up the inside seams for the coming ones!!!

Rachael

A-List Customer
I finished my first crinoline. I used a lining fabric for the yoke, with an elastic waist. The net was salvaged from a prom dress that I turned into an evening dress for a friend last year, and the bias binding was from a remnant of china silk. I'm planning to wear it this evening with my black and white gored skirt at a Grease Sing-a-Long fundraiser for a local theater group.

3409853320_3f488fcbd4_m.jpg

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
Lauren and LorenaB, your jackets look AMAZING.

Kudos Rachael for recycling bits and pieces into such a nice and functional garment. No doubt it'll help you look slick at the fundraiser!

Inky, your step-daughter is SO lucky to have such a creative mamma (AKA Easter bunny with imagination!) Looks great. :)

Lorena B

Practically Family
Rachael, That crinoline is fab, i need to give a go to it too!!
Epr25, that Easter basket is darling, i love it!!
Jupitersdarling thank you.

this is a dress I almost finished, i need to sort out the low hem.
DSC00361.jpg

This is the pattern I used.
DSC00443.jpg

Is navy blue in white polka dots.
I am not very fun of the polka dots theme but i think it did suit the pattern.

Lauren

Finished a couple of projects I had laying around for a while. Yay!
From this pattern
blouse08.jpg

blouse04.jpg

blouse07.jpg

And I don't have a pic of this pattern, but it's an early 30s one. I've had it sitting around for four years! It's about time I finished it!
dress4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe