Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off the sports coats.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Early 1940s number I got from Goodwill recently. Nice herringbone weave. Fits great too, no alterations needed!

The color is a nice, soft medium brown.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
It seems that you've gotten a lot of great stuff from Yuonkers over the years, Thunder. They must have been a top haberdasher in those parts.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Yup, I've found some decent stuff from Younkers.

Here's better pics of a sports coat I posted about a week ago. Found it at a small, local vintage shop for cheap.

I've decided to sell this one off, the above jacket fits me better without alterations. Love the patch pockets on this one though. Definitely boxy, nothing like the graceful, swooping lines of that 1940s Younkers above.

Last edited:
With many thanks to TwoTypes for finding it in Bournemouth. The vintage Gods are strange sometimes. This early British hacking jacket is made of identical subtle herringbone fabric to that posted by Thunderw21 above.

But how old? I know what I think. Anyone have opinions?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Lovely corozo buttons, and wonderful hand done buttonholes.

attachment.php

EdwardianHackingJacket1.jpg EdwardianHackingJacket2.jpg EdwardianHackingJacket3.jpg EdwardianHackingJacket7.jpg

With many thanks to TwoTypes for finding it in Bournemouth. The vintage Gods are strange sometimes. This early British hacking jacket is made of identical subtle herringbone fabric to that posted by Thunderw21 above.

But how old? I know what I think. Anyone have opinions?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Lovely corozo buttons, and wonderful hand done buttonholes.

attachment.php

View attachment 6177 View attachment 6178 View attachment 6179 View attachment 6180

love the two button very high almost like a Jazz Suit...if its vintage 1930??

VM ( https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=j...hp%3F6684-The-1920-JAZZ-SUIT%2Fpage11;952;721 )

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Clearly mid-30's. Around 1936.
It is a prime textbook example of a "Paddock" jacket.
This is turf/riding wear... slanted pockets, flapped chest pocket, two buttons at heightened stance, double vents.

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I agree it's a paddock cut jacket, but while it has some equestrian aesthetics, I'm not I agree that it's actually for riding. In my experience, side vents are pretty useless when in the saddle, which is why classic hacking jackets have a center vent.

Here's a link to a good article on paddock jackets.

Paddock_jacket_cut_at_Keikari_dot_com.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Fastuni, i admit to knowing very little about vintage equestrian styles (not an area of interest) so you could be right.
i saw the high buttoning and got excited !

p.s. i have a photo of a 1931 British hacking jacket; it doesn't have the high button placement.

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
@hbk & guttersnipe

Yes, not every hacking/riding jacket has this special button stance. The button stance is what defines a Paddock, which can have single-vent, straight pockets or patch pockets otherwise.
And guttersnipe you are right that this specimen was probably not for actual riding... I meant to say "equestrian" in the sense that this jacket is sporty turf-wear one would wear most likely to a horserace or similar events. There were also Paddock-buttoned town suits... (at guttersnipes link, Eden is wearing one). BTW alas half of the photos at the link show no Paddocks, as they lack the heightened button stance.

Last edited:
I find equestrian gear almost impossible to date accurately from this era. I remember this stuff from when I was growing up and these jackets are still cut just like this, in the country.

I would be curious, Fastuni, what would suggest "clearly mid-30s" about this jacket? The equestrian angle makes things difficult, as they used older patterns and cutting - much like still seen in morning and white tie dress - such as the pattern of the arm panels. I was also plumping, like hbk, into the 19-teens. I realise now that I didn't upload a pic of the facings and liner, which I've only seen on early 20s and older British jackets.

attachment.php

EdwardianHackingJacket5.jpg EdwardianHackingJacket6.jpg

As an unrelated aside, the amount of hand work in this jacket is surprising, even for vintage. The only seams that seem to have been taken on a machine are the long arm seams, rear centre seam and side seams. Everything else - all the top/prick stitching and shorter main seams etc - are wonky enough to suggest hand work.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
When I first sent BK the photos, it was the view of the interior that immediately got him interested. Very distinctive.

It is certainly a thing of beauty. The shop put the date that the clothes were put into the shop on the price label: It might surprise you to learn that this had been in stock since 2007! I'm glad it's found a good home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe