Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off the sports coats.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I found these pictures again. this was on ebay months ago. I think it's really interesting.

9399_1.jpg

9739_1.jpg

86bd_1.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
My favorite- a '40s double breasted
IMG_7159.jpg

IMG_4602.jpg

White sportsjacket from Ralph Lauren- skeleton lined, patch pockets, belt back- lots of vintage detailing.
n630485908_424336_5740.jpg

a '70s peak lapel with pleated gill panels front and back. not really all that vintage, but it works with some things

IMG_4621.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
A few newer ones.

Late 1930s belted back jacket with pleats. Might be an orphaned suit jacket.
beltedbackjacket36uniontag001.jpg

beltedbackjacket36uniontag002.jpg

The pleats and the plaid pattern woven into the fabric.
beltedbackjacket36uniontag003.jpg

A pretty cool 1970s belted back jacket.
001-13.jpg

002-13.jpg

All pockets have bellows.
1970ssportscoat003.jpg

What I think is a 1960s Norfolk-style jacket. I really like this look.
Norfolkstylejacket001.jpg

Norfolkstylejacket002.jpg

Norfolkstylejacket003.jpg

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Hey Tomasso,

I actually quite like that style of presentation. Would love to see more of the wardrobe, even if others prefer humans.

Please post!

- SteveN

Tomasso said:
Actually, I prefer the Paul Stuart presentation, with no human element to distract from the style. That said, I have hundreds of photos of my wardrobe which was shot in this fashion and I'm not about to re-shoot it anytime soon.
http://www.paulstuart.com/Category_template_viewall.cfm?ID=4&rightcoloritem=1
page19.jpg

Shoes235.jpg

SteveN

One of the Regulars
What's that small pocket above the main one?

Quick question gentlemen,

What's the small pocket on the right hand side above the main one for? Is that what they call a 'ticket pocket'? I thought ticket pockets were on the inside.

Cheers,
- SteveN

AlanC said:
I have a relatively modern (~20 years old, maybe) American made RTW tweed or two from Norman Hilton with the latch storage buttons in the same place. It's a great feature.

Here's a Turnbull & Asser by Chester Barrie I have:

taheadless3pveg8.jpg

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Hey Baron,

What's your take on the button on that brown one? I have only deen tht type twice except on my old school uniform sweater.

there is a very unusual belted back jacket posted by M Chevalier that has it's own thread. Once I had a suit that was 30s heavier tweedy wool three piece with belted back. It had them, but did not seem original as they looked funny, were nothing like other suit buttons and did not sem sewn on very well. I replaced them all and ahe always thought they were a 70s addition on hat suit.

reetpleat said:
Hey Baron,

What's your take on the button on that brown one? I have only deen tht type twice except on my old school uniform sweater.

there is a very unusual belted back jacket posted by M Chevalier that has it's own thread. Once I had a suit that was 30s heavier tweedy wool three piece with belted back. It had them, but did not seem original as they looked funny, were nothing like other suit buttons and did not sem sewn on very well. I replaced them all and ahe always thought they were a 70s addition on hat suit.

The buttons are certainly original to that brown one. At least the shanks seems untouched and of the right vintage for the jacket. I also saw Marc's suit - believe i referenced it when originally posting the sprtscoat. I believe they were also original. Incidentally the buttons are very similar to the ones on this (below) which are certainly original to the piece:

3683-1.jpg

bk

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I would venture to suggest that when buttons were made from natural materials (e.g. horn and bone) there it was not usual to match the colour of buttons to that of the cloth. This appears to have been carried over to the time when phenolic resin was used - it was often not coloured. Only when more advanced coloured plastics came into use did it become normal to match the buttons to the cloth, I think. The contrast gives a good vintage look.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Bugsy said:
I just had this suit made. It's a linen/silk fabric and very cool for summer wear. I couldn't decide whether to get the double breasted waistcoat or the lapelled on, so I got both.

Linen4.jpg

linen3.jpg

Linen2.jpg

Linen1.jpg

Bugsy! Great suit! Who did you have it made by? What did you use as examples? Can you post high resolution/larger images so we can see the details a bit clearer!?
Congratulations on the job well done! :)

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Mid- to late-1950s number I picked up today from Goodwill. Beautiful light-weight, lightly woven flecky-style wool. Fully lined, the maker's tag is the only tag. The lapels want to roll to the middle button.
The pocket square was with the jacket when I found it, I assume it's original to the jacket.

001-20.jpg

002-20.jpg

006-16.jpg

Fully lined with white rayon.
003-15.jpg

Oddly enough, just last week I bought an early '50s jacket by the same company. What timing!
004-12.jpg

Striking a 'resortes' pose. Arms need to be let down a tad but everything else fits very well.
005-10.jpg

Bugsy

One Too Many
mike said:
Bugsy! Great suit! Who did you have it made by? What did you use as examples? Can you post high resolution/larger images so we can see the details a bit clearer!?
Congratulations on the job well done! :)

Thank you, Mike. I'd be happy to post larger pictures with better resolution if only I knew how. Does anyone give tutorials and/or make house calls?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82