Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sex in media boosts teen promiscuity-study

Briscoeteque said:
No, you're incorrect, I know about HPV, I learned of it in school and on my own. HPV is virtually omnipresent, it's one of of those pathogens that nearly everyone has in one strain or another. And any strain could possibly mutate into a harmful one. Everything has risks. I don't want to live a life in a bubble without risks, and while it's up to everyone else themselves, I don't think it's particuarly healthy eiather. Kissing can transmit HPV. So could sharing a glass that hasn't been washed well enough. It's up to individual people to make up their own minds, and they have a right to the facts. They don't need to be talked down to by patronizing people with their own agenda.

Really? What is your source of this information other than "at school." Where are the facts regarding its omnipresence and is the CDC lying to us? Is that what you are saying? Doctors are lying to us? Schools aren't lying then is the logical leap. Present the facts and we will go from there.
Do whatever you like with your life. Just realize that there is a risk and don't come crying for sympathy or money when you get something that you knew fully well might happen. That is all I care about. No agenda just making sure no one is taken in by the "condoms make everything safe crowd" agenda. :p

Regards,

J

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Really? What is your source of this information other than "at school." Where are the facts regarding its omnipresence and is the CDC lying to us? Is that what you are saying? Doctors are lying to us? Schools aren't lying then is the logical leap. Present the facts and we will go from there.
Do whatever you liek with your life. Just realize that there is a risk and don't come crying for sympathy or money when you get something that you knew fully well might happen. That is all I care about. No aganda just making sure no one is taken in by the "condoms make everything safe crowd." :p

Regards,

J

http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn_fastfacts.cfm

"Nearly three out of four Americans between the ages of 15 and 49 have been infected with genital HPV in their lifetime. "

Not quite omnipresent, I apologize for my hyerbole, but as they say, 3 outta four ain't bad. I also apologize, when I was saying you were incorrect, I should have made clear that I was refering to me not being taught about HPV, and not about the facts about HPV you presented.

Did I say 'condoms make everything safe'? Did I say I was going to cry for money or sympathy? Am I promoting that for other people? Did I say I want misinformation to give people false security? No! People have a right to know, and what they have a right to know they have a right to be taught. That's it, that's all I said and that's all I mean. No more of this 'I know better, I'm older, end of story'. That doesn't cut it.

Briscoeteque said:
http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn_fastfacts.cfm

"Nearly three out of four Americans between the ages of 15 and 49 have been infected with genital HPV in their lifetime. "

Not quite omnipresent, I apologize for my hyerbole, but as they say, 3 outta four ain't bad. I also apologize, when I was saying you were incorrect, I should have made clear that I was refering to me not being taught about HPV, and not about the facts about HPV you presented.

Did I say 'condoms make everything safe'? Did I say I was going to cry for money or sympathy? Am I promoting that for other people? Did I say I want misinformation to give people false security? No! People have a right to know, and what they have a right to know they have a right to be taught. That's it, that's all I said and that's all I mean. No more of this 'I know better, I'm older, end of story'. That doesn't cut it.

Interesting. You forgot to mention:

There are over 100 HPV types.
About 30 of these types are sexually transmitted and cause genital HPV.
So it is indeed possible for that many people to have HPV but not the sexually transmitted type. 70% are not the type we are talking about.
I know what you mean about the older is wiser thing though. That is untrue as I have found ignorance knows no age. :p ;) Keep staying informed.

Regards,

J

Mr Nick

New in Town
Cure for STD transmittal

Stay celebate until you marry some else who has been celebate. Remain faithful and committed to each other. No STD! I'd like to take credit for it but I read it before in a book.:rolleyes:

Mr Nick

New in Town
Okay

Far be it from me to try and tell someone else how to decide what's best for them. I'm just telling you what I read in the book. I would be remiss if I didn't tell though.;)

shamus

Suspended
jamespowers said:
The information I obtained was from Dr. Todd Page, South Bend Memorial Hospital from his research document called: "Condom Promotion: A Dangerous Solution to the STD Epidemic."

I looked up that "Dr. Todd Page" and found the web site you found it on.

http://members.iquest.net/~macihms/Christian/stdcon.html

I happened to notice two things.. He was not a doctor when he wrote it, and the website seems to have the word "Christian" in it...

Hmmm....

shamus said:
I looked up that "Dr. Todd Page" and found the web site you found it on.

http://members.iquest.net/~macihms/Christian/stdcon.html

I happened to notice two things.. He was not a doctor when he wrote it, and the website seems to have the word "Christian" in it

And? The CDC says the same thing along with the American Social Health Association. Facts are facts no matter where they come from. I got the information for a different site but I suppose that doesn't matter much because ideology trumps facts. :rolleyes: Did you see his site as well?
What in particular do you disagree with and where are your facts to back it up?

Regards to all,

J

Baron Kurtz said:
Problem with most STDs is: They're only called STDs because that's how they are typically transmitted. They are generally bodily fluid transmitted - so BFTDs. Celibacy does not ensure freedom from STDs ...

bk

So that means the condoms are even less effective than you previously thought due to skin to skin contact transmission and body fluid transfer?
It just gets grosser and grosser doesn't it? :eek:

Regards,

J

I've been trying to find the actual research paper by Todd Page. Anyone have it? If so, can we arrange for you to email it to me? As i've said before: If his findings are accurate, this is incredibly interesting. Funny i've never heard of it before. You'd think a big journal would run a story on it ... The fact that he wasn't a doctor when he published this stuff is irrelevant. Hell, the vast majority of scientific and medical research is carried out by people who are not doctors. I'd like to see the experimental design etc. (assuming there were experiments). I don't trust internet condensations which contain no references so that one can check what they say.

Firstly the website above states that the pores in latex condoms are 5 microns wide. This is absurd, and simply false. I hope Dr. Page has not been finding his info on the internet - the British government had such difficulties, as you all know. Here is a discussion of the topic with references at the bottom. "Scanning electron microscopy of latex condoms reveals pits and imperfections but no pores that penetrate the entire membrane." They find that latex condoms are not perfect (no serious person claims they are) but that "Thus, even with pinhole leakage in some devices, the authors estimated that condom use would decrease exposure to HIV 10,000-fold." Correct use of condoms and a little care will almost certainly prevent pregnancy and STDs (that care being, if someone has a galloping sore and you have a galloping sore, don't bring them into contact). Indeed, incorrect use of condoms (through lack of education) is one of the leading causes of condom failure.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:j0x9pbUsjM8J:www.fhi.org/en/RH/Pubs/booksReports/latexcondom/pregandstdprev.htm+pore+dimensions+latex+condoms&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=7

bk

shamus

Suspended
jamespowers said:
And? The CDC says the same thing along with the American Social Health Association. Facts are facts no matter where they come from. I got the information for a different site but I suppose that doesn't matter much because ideology trumps facts. Did you see his site as well?
What in particular do you disagree with and where are your facts to back it up?

Regards to all,

J

I haven't looked up if the CDC and ASHA actually say the same thing.

Facts are facts as long as they are actual Facts. I agree. Being from Missouri, we have a slogan, "The Show Me State." When someone says something that sounds off, I like to see the facts. Just because some guy has an internet site that states "Facts", like Baron said, Show me his research.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe