Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sex in media boosts teen promiscuity-study

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
Abortion being illegal never stopped abortion, it just meant much more dangerous means to carry it out. If it is to be done (for whatever reason as it is not my business, though I do disagree with the woman who carries on recklessly and then seeks one I wouldn't stop her; I believe having a baby who is neglected, uncared for [properly] and later becomes a bane to society is much worse) then I think it should at least be carried out in an atmosphere that is safe for the mother. Terrible things happen, rape, incest and the like, that even the most constructive household can't cure. Are we to turn those women away from proper medical help? I'm not trying to be inflammatory I really want opinions.

As for the premarital sex issue, I don't feel any terrific hatred or even disdainment for someone who takes part, I just ask they don't go around acting with destructive indifference. Unfortunately that seems to be a great deal of the problem these days.

L_H

jake431

Practically Family
Lena_Horne said:
Abortion being illegal never stopped abortion, it just meant much more dangerous means to carry it out. If it is to be done (for whatever reason as it is not my business, though I do disagree with the woman who carries on recklessly and then seeks one I wouldn't stop her; I believe having a baby who is neglected, uncared for [properly] and later becomes a bane to society is much worse) then I think it should at least be carried out in an atmosphere that is safe for the mother. Terrible things happen, rape, incest and the like, that even the most constructive household can't cure. Are we to turn those women away from proper medical help? I'm not trying to be inflammatory I really want opinions.L_H[/QUOTE

My opinion? Your post is perfectly logical to me! I don't think we should turn them away, nor restrict the options of women either. Certainly I don't find your post inflammatory! Now - earlier in the thread, responsibility and accountability was brought up. To me, deciding to have an abortion because the mother is not ready to properly take care of a child is responsible, precisely because the mother is doing what is best for her - and certainly, should she have the baby - what is best for said child. I am not saying it is a good thing, simply a better thing than bringing an unwanted child who "becomes a bane to society" into the world. Anyway Lena, I really liked your post.

-Jake

Bebop

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Where are the facts and figures for that assumption? Teen Pregnancy rates and alcohol abuse rates in europe versus America. The facts are this: From 1995 to 1998 the US did lead with 52.1 per thousand women between 15 and 19 but the rest of europe was right behind us even though they have all this "education" and the like.
UK 30.8 per thousand
Slovakia 26.9 per thousand
Hungary 26.5 per thousand
Portugal 21.2 per thousand
Ireland 18.7
Poland 18.7
Czech Republic 16.4
Austria 14
Germany 13.1
Norway 12.4
Greece 11.8
Belgium 9.9
Luxembourg 9.7
France 9.3
Finland 9.2
Denmark 8.1
Spain 7.9
Italy 6.6

Murder? Are you sure we lead the world in murders per capita? In truth we are 24th on that scale.
#1 Colombia 0.617847 per 1,000 people
#2 South Africa 0.496008 per 1,000 people
#3 Jamaica 0.324196 per 1,000 people
#4 Venezuela 0.316138 per 1,000 people
#5 Russia 0.201534 per 1,000 people
#6 Mexico 0.130213 per 1,000 people
#7 Estonia 0.107277 per 1,000 people
#8 Latvia 0.10393 per 1,000 people
#9 Lithuania 0.102863 per 1,000 people
#10 Belarus 0.0983495 per 1,000 people
#11 Ukraine 0.094006 per 1,000 people
#12 Papua New Guinea 0.0838593 per 1,000 people
#13 Kyrgyzstan 0.0802565 per 1,000 people
#14 Thailand 0.0800798 per 1,000 people
#15 Moldova 0.0781145 per 1,000 people
#16 Zimbabwe 0.0749938 per 1,000 people
#17 Seychelles 0.0739025 per 1,000 people
#18 Zambia 0.070769 per 1,000 people
#19 Costa Rica 0.061006 per 1,000 people
#20 Poland 0.0562789 per 1,000 people
#21 Georgia 0.0511011 per 1,000 people
#22 Uruguay 0.045082 per 1,000 people
#23 Bulgaria 0.0445638 per 1,000 people

How about the 2000 Un International Crime Victims survey?
People by country who reported they feel only a small risk of burgulary:
#1 Finland 84%
#2 Austria 82%
#3 Sweden 79%
#4 United States 78%
#5 Denmark 75%
#6 Norway 68%
#7 Canada 66%
#8 Switzerland 64%
#9 Netherlands 62%
#10 United Kingdom 58%
#11 Australia 57%
#12 Belgium 48%
#13 Italy 46%
#14 Germany 45%
#15 Japan 43%
#16 France 43%
#17 New Zealand 42%

Total crimes per capita:
#1 Dominica 113.822 per 1,000 people
#2 New Zealand 105.881 per 1,000 people
#3 Finland 101.526 per 1,000 people
#4 Denmark 92.8277 per 1,000 people
#5 Chile 88.226 per 1,000 people
#6 United Kingdom 85.5517 per 1,000 people
#7 Montserrat 80.3982 per 1,000 people
#8 United States 80.0645 per 1,000 people
#9 Netherlands 79.5779 per 1,000 people
#10 South Africa 77.1862 per 1,000 people
#11 Germany 75.9996 per 1,000 people
#12 Canada 75.4921 per 1,000 people
#13 Norway 71.8639 per 1,000 people
#14 France 62.1843 per 1,000 people

Lone Parent Households:
#1 Canada 11%
#2 United Kingdom 10%
#3 New Zealand 9%
#4 Finland 9%
#5 United States 9%
#6 Norway 9%
#7 Ireland 9%
#8 Korea, South 9%
#9 Australia 8%
#10 Portugal 8%
#11 Austria 8%
#12 Belgium 7%
#13 Italy 7%
#14 France 7%
#15 Switzerland 6%
#16 Denmark 6%
#17 Spain 6%
#18 Luxembourg 5%
#19 Netherlands 5%

How about a 1990 survey that asked if the people in a given country were proud of their nationality for that matter? What percentage of the US population do you think were not proud of their nationality?
Lets move forward based on the facts without jumping to conclusions.

Regards to all,

J
Jamespowers, you ask where I got that info? I think I dug it out of my gut from what the media has fed me.:D If your fastidious research proves me wrong, I stand corrected.:eek: I wish I had as much time as you do to do so much research in order to throw around some thoughts.[huh]
You are probably correct that the US has the most people with the silly "proud to be this" or "proud to be that" in the world. But then again if you spent a couple of hours on the computer, you may prove me wrong again.:) Also, I never said anything about murders. I said serial killers. Any page long stats on that?;)

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Lena is wrong on the issue of a ridiculous, hypocritical law prohibiting 18-20 year-olds from drinking.

Lena would have been right if she'd said that the drinking age should be lowered to 18.

Nonetheless, Lena is right about a lot of other things.

Clear enough? ;)

To be fair I never said I agreed with the law barring those under twenty-one from drinking. I just choose to uphold it until I am otherwise.:)

L_H

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
But why would you choose to uphold a law that you apparently don't agree with?

By "uphold", do you mean "give support to [the law]", or "support [it] against an opponent" of the law? Because that's how the Online Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary defines "uphold".

For various reasons, you might obey a law that you disagree with; but why would you "give support" to it?

Perhaps you meant to say "respect" or "obey", instead of "uphold". Am I guessing right?

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
How about this. I don't like the fact that alcohol is restricted as it is. I think when a child is raised to understand and drink alcohol responsibly it is a lot better than barrelling down the slope through high school for the "thrill" of doing wrong. But at the same time I do not like to go out of my way to break laws. I believe in them (or at least the judicial system as it was intended, not necessarily as it is carried out) and believe that respecting the law requires me to do things I may not like. In this case I have no desire to drink alcohol illegally because I can indeed wait until my next birthday.

By your logic because I don't like a rule my mother set up within her household I should (or could) consider breaking it just because I don't like it. Nevermind the consequences, never mind what that does to my relationship with my mother, never mind the fact that I didn't have to do it.

I uphold the law because it is the law, period. There are instances where I wouldn't but alcohol is not on my short list of taboos to try out.

L_H

Bebop said:
Jamespowers, you ask where I got that info? I think I dug it out of my gut from what the media has fed me.:D If your fastidious research proves me wrong, I stand corrected.:eek: I wish I had as much time as you do to do so much research in order to throw around some thoughts.[huh]
You are probably correct that the US has the most people with the silly "proud to be this" or "proud to be that" in the world. But then again if you spent a couple of hours on the computer, you may prove me wrong again.:) Also, I never said anything about murders. I said serial killers. Any page long stats on that?;)

My point in posting that was simply to show that we as a country are not the top in everything you listed. I just don't like when assumptions are put out there without the facts to back them up. If the facts backed you up---as in the teenage pregnancy figures then I can agree and rightly have to. A teenage pregnancy rate of 5.21% is still quite low as far as I am concerned. Especially when you consider that over 94% decide it is not for them. In our country of many cultures, some who get married very early, that seems to me like a pretty low rate but everything is relative I suppose. ;)
Serial killer data for other coutries is unavaialble but they have their just as we have ours. Again the rate is something like 1% of the people might be affected by such.
I actually didn't have the time. I made the time. I could have been our riding my BSA or tending the yard as I did after I posted. I always make time for the Lounge.
You are right about the US being in the top four of those most pround of their nationality/country with over 85% of the people being pround of this country. Mark me as one of them. Pick a better country.

Regards,

J

Lena_Horne said:
How about this. I don't like the fact that alcohol is restricted as it is. I think when a child is raised to understand and drink alcohol responsibly it is a lot better than barrelling down the slope through high school for the "thrill" of doing wrong. But at the same time I do not like to go out of my way to break laws. I believe in them (or at least the judicial system as it was intended, not necessarily as it is carried out) and believe that respecting the law requires me to do things I may not like. In this case I have no desire to drink alcohol illegally because I can indeed wait until my next birthday.

By your logic because I don't like a rule my mother set up within her household I should (or could) consider breaking it just because I don't like it. Nevermind the consequences, never mind what that does to my relationship with my mother, never mind the fact that I didn't have to do it.

I uphold the law because it is the law, period. There are instances where I wouldn't but alcohol is not on my short list of taboos to try out.

L_H

See? Right again Marc. Batting 1000. :p lol

Regards to all,

J

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I believe having a baby who is neglected, uncared for [properly] and later becomes a bane to society is much worse) then I think it should at least be carried out in an atmosphere that is safe for the mother.

There's a lot of children who are "planned, wanted" children who grow up to be a bane to society. Just as there are children put up for adoption who are assets to society. Who is anyone to judge a child based on circumstances of birth? I am not adopted, but I have zero tolerance for anyone who judges another person simply because said person is adopted. Just because they are adopted does not make their life less worthy of someone who is "planned and wanted".
No one has cared to venture in to my question; "what about the daughter of wealthy parents who ventures into the ghetto?" or "what about the son of wealthy parents who becomes a crackhead?"

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Lena_Horne said:

Say you don't like a law your legislature set up within your area of residence. You might choose to obey that law, and that choice might be perfectly reasonable. After all, if you don't, there may be fines (or worse) to pay. But what I don't understand is why you would choose to uphold the very law that you do not agree with. Again, by "uphold" I refer the dictionary definition: "to give support to".

Lena_Horne said:
By your logic because I don't like a rule ... I should (or could) consider breaking it just because I don't like it.

"Upholding" the law means more than choosing not to break it. When you used the term "uphold", you implied that you were willing to "give support" to, "aid by approval or encouragement", and "countenance" a law that you did not agree with. "Giving support" to a law means more than simply choosing not to break it. What exactly is this "more" that you're willing to offer up to the drinking age law?

Here in California, I do not smoke in bars or nightclubs because it is almost always illegal to do so. However, since I disagree with this prohibition, I do not uphold it. If I see someone smoking in a bar, I do not turn him/her over to the authorities. I do not do write to the California State Legislature congratulating it for prohibiting smoking in bars and nightclubs. The most that I do is recognize the law's power over me and obey it. More than that, I refuse to engage in.

So again I ask, Lena ... what does the term "uphold" mean to you?

jamespowers said:
If the facts backed you up---as in the teenage pregnancy figures then I can agree and rightly have to. A teenage pregnancy rate of 5.21% is still quite low as far as I am concerned. Especially when you consider that over 94% decide it is not for them.

Decide. Ha ha. More like get lucky.

So are we now arguing that there is no teen pregnancy problem? If so, where is the teen sex problem? Looks like this is coming down to an issue of control (of teen sexuality, like many try to control adult sexuality).

bk

Baron Kurtz said:
Decide. Ha ha. More like get lucky.

So are we now arguing that there is no teen pregnancy problem? If so, where is the teen sex problem? Looks like this is coming down to an issue of control (of teen sexuality, like many try to control adult sexuality).

bk

Is it luck or do they use some kind of contraception that would ultimately make their decision much less likely to result in pregnancy? I am actually amazed that there is even that rate of pregnancy considering all the "protection" out there. You have to be incredibly stupid, careless or unlucky to have "an accident" by your interpretation of the data---considering nearly 95% don't have a problem. Are you saying that 5% of the youth population are inherently stupid? :p
They still manage to get STDs that are not stopped by "the pill" or by the pores in prophylactics.
There is a teenage pregnancy problem but it is just not as HUGE as some would have you think when they make sweeping generalizations. Just as there is a crime problem.
It is an issue of control in both cases----self-control. :rolleyes:

Regards to all,

J

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Well, let's see. What would you say to a teenage girl who became pregnant by a 25 year old man who had no intention of marrying her because she was just a farmer's daughter and low class? :eek:
Think before answering.
What's your point?[huh] What are your implications?[huh] Think before posting.[huh]

Bebop

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Lincsong said:
Perhaps I was being a bit too cryptic. My intention was to illicit responses such as abortion or not, seeing it was mentioned previously. The think before answering was simply to prevent off the cuff remarks. ;)

Regards,

J
Are you seriously trying to illicit responses as abortion or not? I thought you were a peace keeper.;) I was going to go there but thought it was :eek:fftopic: and too volatile a subject that morphs threads into angry, downward spins unless of course the thread title has to do with abortion.[huh]

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I agree it's too touchy of a subject and we probably don't need bother going there...back on subject...I think parents need to talk to thier kids more and have an interest in their lives. Talking can bring up a lot of questions or concerns a child may have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe