Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Mary

Practically Family
Thanks Lady day! I hoped you'd answer.

I tried to google for cap button but didn't find any pics. Is it a button with a hole on the back and none showing? Cause that was what I was thinking before that decorative buttons on such a bit formal dress wouldn't have visible holes in them.

I'll see what strikes my fancy as you suggested.

And I'll make them trousers longer. Good to know what to aim for.

And I'll promise to post after pics!
M

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Does anyone have any experience making fitted slipcovers who would be willing to pass along any pointers/advice?

I want to make a slipcover for a couch I purchased at an auction for $5, it is a beautiful 50's Kroehler, but the material on it is a light aqua blue that has become filthy over time. The frame and shape of the couch is still in perfect condition. It looks like this:
379528_1.jpg

The two seat cushions are removeable so I will be doing zippered covers from them, but the rest of the couch will have to be done as one piece. I have never attempted anything this large before, and will be doing pattern pieces and a mock-up in muslin. It is more the construction I am worried about, as I want to make this a durable piece that isn't going to rip/fall apart. These are the fabrics I have been looking at:
46% Polyester, 27% Acrylic, 27% Cotton
JaxOatmealUph0695.jpg

50% Cotton, 50% Polyester
Quadrant.jpg

any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
sixsexsix said:
JaxOatmealUph0695.jpg

No real experience here, but I love this fabric!! I'd go with this one myself.

Some old sewing books have instructions for things like slipcovers, so that might be a place to look.

Good luck, and please post pics when you're done! I'd love to see how it comes out! :D

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I know that the major pattern companies make patterns for fitted slip covers- and you don't have to just buy a standard, it's all based on the measurements for your couch/ chairs etc. You just purchase the style you like and they tell you how to make it work for you!

sixsexsix

Practically Family
the only real issue i have with the patterns that you can buy is that the majority that i have seen produce something like this:
Lnt_Magazine_Slipcover.jpg

i don't really want ties or loose fabric hanging down and would much prefer something that is made to the exact measurements of my couch.

sixsexsix said:
Does anyone have any experience making fitted slipcovers who would be willing to pass along any pointers/advice?

I want to make a slipcover for a couch I purchased at an auction for $5, it is a beautiful 50's Kroehler, but the material on it is a light aqua blue that has become filthy over time. The frame and shape of the couch is still in perfect condition. It looks like this:
379528_1.jpg

The two seat cushions are removeable so I will be doing zippered covers from them, but the rest of the couch will have to be done as one piece. I have never attempted anything this large before, and will be doing pattern pieces and a mock-up in muslin. It is more the construction I am worried about, as I want to make this a durable piece that isn't going to rip/fall apart. These are the fabrics I have been looking at:
46% Polyester, 27% Acrylic, 27% Cotton
JaxOatmealUph0695.jpg

50% Cotton, 50% Polyester
Quadrant.jpg

I have vintage instructions for slip covering your furniture. If you want I can scan them from the books and email them to you. PM me if your interested.

Sunny

One Too Many
Have you considered simply recovering it? You've obviously put a lot of thought into this so I'm sure you have, but I wanted to mention it. In my opinion it's a more final and neater solution. You'll want to do it eventually anyway, and since it's in good shape you won't be doing a lot of structure repair.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I have no idea how to recover something without it looking all bunchy, and paying someone to do it (on top of material costs) is pretty much out of the question.

Sunny

One Too Many
Well, the nice thing about recovering something is that you already have a pattern: the original pieces. In theory, you should be able to just pry up the tacks and staples, cut around the pieces, and tack and staple them back on. There are plenty of guides for it, of course, but that's really all there is to it. No pressure, though! My mother's done it before, so of course it occurred to me. :)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Sunny said:
Well, the nice thing about recovering something is that you already have a pattern: the original pieces. In theory, you should be able to just pry up the tacks and staples, cut around the pieces, and tack and staple them back on. There are plenty of guides for it, of course, but that's really all there is to it. No pressure, though! My mother's done it before, so of course it occurred to me. :)

There are some great books out on it. I just had a reprint of a 1950s book on re-upholstery out of the library, but I already returned it and can't remember the name or author. :eusa_doh: :( Sorry. But, you could try your local library and see if they have a some good ones. Personally, I like the older books better than the more modern. They tend to have more step-by-step instructions, at least that's been my experience.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Darhling said:
Please girls, I need a kick in the butt, I have got patterns and fabric but I am too lazy at the moment to sew anything. Does anyone ever feel the same?!

no, never! :rolleyes:

(please don't ask when the last time i actually sewed something was...)

Lolly B

New in Town
Muslin question

Vintage patterns call for muslin for interfacing. Does anyone have any preferences on what kind of muslin or do you just use contemporary interfacing?

Thanks!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Originally posted by Darhling:
Please girls, I need a kick in the butt, I have got patterns and fabric but I am too lazy at the moment to sew anything. Does anyone ever feel the same?!

Who, me? ;)

I know that feeling! It's awful. Thankfully at the moment I'm feeling very industrious - I just have to finish a few projects while I'm in the mood.

Try to think of what's the biggest thing you don't want to do when you make something. If it's fitting (my personal bugaboo), make an easy non-fitted skirt. If it's hemming, make something that can be machine hemmed, or with not much of a hem. If it's the time, make something fast.

And on the flip side, you can just bite the bullet and face your fear head-on. I do that sometimes too. :)

MJrules

One of the Regulars
ShoreRoadLady said:
Try to think of what's the biggest thing you don't want to do when you make something.

Unfortunately for me, I hate to pin and cut the pattern out (on my cramped kitchen floor!)...don't think there's a pattern that doesn't require that.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
MJrules said:
Unfortunately for me, I hate to pin and cut the pattern out (on my cramped kitchen floor!)...don't think there's a pattern that doesn't require that.

I should just start .. I have two great dresses on my mind I would really like to start and finish now .. sigh..

Snookie

Practically Family
I use modern interfacing, usually fusible. I've found that muslin has too much of its own "personality" - it's woven, so you have to worry about matching the grain, and because it's cotton, it's going to shrink a LOT, probably at a different rate than your fashion fabric(even if it's pre-washed), plus it gets wrinkly after washing. It also unravels like the dickens!

Whether you decide to use muslin or not, one of the major considerations is to match the weight of your interfacing to your fashion fabric. I usually have 2-3 yards of maybe 4 different types on hand, and because only small pieces are interfaced, it lasts a long time. I also like the special waistband interfacing for my skirt waistbands, it's sold in packages, not by the yard.

I've read in magazines that it's important to pre-shrink all interfacing, but I've never done that and don't have problems. When using fusible, activate the glue with water, either steam from your iron or a damp press cloth, and protect your iron/ironing board by putting a scrap cloth underneath and only ironing it face down.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Originally posted MJrules:

Oh. Ouch. I see! I did that for a good while too, but here's my suggestion: a cutting board (I use an inexpensive cardboard one from JoAnn) and putting it on your diring room table. MUCH easier. You may want to put a few towels between the cutting board & the table to avoid accidental scratches.

I use a card table some of the time. It works for bodice pieces, but I usually have to resort to the floor for skirt pieces (the dining room table seems to be always taken over!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld