Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sailor pants

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Hello gentlemen... Summer is approaching and I've been considering getting me a pair of white sailor pants for the season. I'm talking about the classic military ones, à la Corto Maltese, for those of you familiar with the character - very large at the bottom (shape called bell, even though it doesn't actually resemble the shape of one). I am told that the reason for such feature is so that in the event of a sailor being thrown overboard, he could quickly pull the pants off over the shoes, tie them at the end, inflate them with air and use them as a life-saver. They also usually have a "bib" in the front, I do not know the reason for that. I did find regular issue ones, but only vintage aka used. Would anyone know where I could buy unissued ones? I don't know how and if I'm going to be able to pull them off, if not they're going to be part of my next halloween outfit, along with my telnyashka!

Last edited:

Cobden

Practically Family
I'd avoid current Royal Navy ones. They are polyester, have a fly front, and stay press creases. US ones may be better

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My understaning of the reason for the bell shape is for when the sailor is swabbing the deck, or doing other wet on deck activites, they can be rolled up to the knee more conveniently. I've never heard that saving himself from drowning story. Hard to imagine somebody splashing around the ocean fabricating a porous life preserver that way.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I've never heard that saving himself from drowning story. Hard to imagine somebody splashing around the ocean fabricating a porous life preserver that way.

Actually, long trousers with a tight weave do make a good emergency floation device. You tie knots in the ends of both legs and zip/button the fly. You then hold it behind you by the waist and quickly bring it up over your head and down waist-first into the water in front of you. This traps air in the two legs. Works well with denim jeans.

I was taught this and used it during lifeguard training as a boy.

Cheers,
Tom

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Vintage and current issue USN white pants are pretty easy to find on ebay. However, the broad fall front was/is used only on the USN dress blue pants. White pants with both the broad fall and standard fly were used by USN sailors during the American Civil War, and sometimes as "taylor mades" up to the Spanish American War. After that time, regs pretty much eliminated "individuality" in the US Navy.:)

The use of ones dungaree pants, as well as other clothing items, for floatation was part of our training during boot camp back in the day. I don't know if they still teach that survival technique to sailors today.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The topic of use of pants for floatation is very accurate information, the pants issued to sailors will work very well, and can hold air for floatation as long as the fabric is kept wet, for fairly long duration of time. The training of this is still ongoing in the U.S. Navy, and Coast Guard, and perhaps other military and survival courses. And the bell bottom shape was designed to aid in the removal of them in water.

jerrea

New in Town
Grizzly, what size you got? I love my Navy dungarees and I too would love to have a pair of whites. 28-29 waist, 31-32 seam.

Edward

Bartender
Easily found, but if you want to wear these bell-bottom style as a pair of civilian trousers, bear in mind they'll likely end up looking like 60s/70s flares. I love a pair of white cotton trousers for the Summer, but would'nt be caught dead in flares. YMMV. ;)

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Easily found, but if you want to wear these bell-bottom style as a pair of civilian trousers, bear in mind they'll likely end up looking like 60s/70s flares.

also, i would go for a pair of nautical inspired trousers (like the Old Town's on previous page) rather than actual naval-surplus trousers. if you're doing a 'nautical' look you don't need to bash people over the head with it. just a hint is enough to get the idea. you don't need to look like you're on shore leave. ;)

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Actually, I always try to go for the "real deal" whenever I can, when it comes to military or historical items. I feel that even though it makes the garmets more difficult to wear/pull off, the intrinsical value of the item makes up for it.
If I end up looking like one of the Bee Gees, I'll alter the leg width.
For Grizzly: that would be great! I'm not sure what American pants size I would be, I wear a 50 in Italy, and my Levis's are a 33!

Last edited:

dilbert123

New in Town
I was standing in formation when going through Aviation Officer Candidate School in Pensacola in the mid-60's when one of my unfortunate co-sufferers referred to what he was wearing as "pants" to our Marine DI. The DI turned several shades of crimson, settled on purple, then bulldozed his way through the formation to my friend. He was about two inches from my friend's ear and bellowed, "PANTS? PANTS? My little girl wears PANTS! GENTLEMEN WEAR TROUSERS!!!" It was a lesson not soon forgotten, in fact I still cannot bring myself to use "pants" to this day and I'm in my mid-60's.

When referring to military garb it would be more proper, therefore, to use the term "trousers". I'm sure this has its roots in English tradition picked up by the U S military in the 19th century.

One consideration of the older military garb, these white uniform trousers were all cotton and highly starched for wear. They were not especially comfortable and wrinkled easily. Current uniforms use a blend of cotton and polyester fibers that would stay looking better longer and be more comfortable. The old cotton whites, however, were much brighter and whiter than the blends which tend to have a slight yellow cast.

Edward

Bartender
also, i would go for a pair of nautical inspired trousers (like the Old Town's on previous page) rather than actual naval-surplus trousers. if you're doing a 'nautical' look you don't need to bash people over the head with it. just a hint is enough to get the idea. you don't need to look like you're on shore leave. ;)

Heh. Last pair I bought were contemporary RN issue, white cotton, very fifties silhouette. Great trews - alas, though they were great for a couple of years, they appear to have developed some sort of stain that washing won't shift. I may have to dye them...

Last edited:

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Grizzly, what size you got? I love my Navy dungarees and I too would love to have a pair of whites. 28-29 waist, 31-32 seam.

Actually, I always try to go for the "real deal" whenever I can, when it comes to military or historical items. I feel that even though it makes the garmets more difficult to wear/pull off, the intrinsical value of the item makes up for it.
If I end up looking like one of the Bee Gees, I'll alter the leg width.
For Grizzly: that would be great! I'm not sure what American pants size I would be, I wear a 50 in Italy, and my Levis's are a 33!

Gentlemen, I have two pair of white USN trousers. They have not been hemmed and are marked 31.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld