Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ring around the Collar-- HELP!

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I've noticed lately that several of my favorite shirts have what seems to be permanent ring-around-the-collar. Oxyclean, tide, and even taking them to the dry cleaners have all proved futile. Does anyone have any advice on how to get this out? Some of these shirts I've only worn three or four times, and other than the collar stains, they've very durable, very comfortable shirts. One is 100% cotton, the others are a poly/wool broadcloth blend.

I can post pictures if need be.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Have you tried possibly, soaking them in bleach? Maybe that might work.

Personally, the issue which you describe is exactly why detachable collars were so popular back in the old days. Because you could chop and change them frequently enough that they never got stained. It's one reason why I tend to dislike modern collars. You can't do that. If the collar's ruined, the entire shirt is ruined. Same with cuffs.

Whislerm

New in Town
Check out Alexander Kabbaz website, there's a section on laundering shirts. Here's a few things I use on my white shirts, not sure what colors yours are.

Blue Dawn Dish Detergent
Colgate Octagon
Fels-Naptha
Mrs Stewarts Bluing

Different concoctions of these diluted with water work great for prespotting. I always leave the collars and cuffs to set for 24 hours in a ziploc bag before washing.

I wouldn't try the bleach, it will deteriorate the fabric and can turn whites a more yellowish.

If the stains have already been set (washed, dried, ironed) they might be there for good.

Hope some of this helps.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I would soak the shirt in a small pan with a third hot water and two thirds vinegar over night. Stay away from bleach. You can also try to spray some spot remover such as "spot shot" on the stain and let it sit for a long time. Gently use a bar of soap and rub in a circular motion so that you are not going to break down the fabric or shred it. You may find it has helped but you won't know until you have tried.

Whislerm

New in Town
I've never had any problems with bluing. I just put a couple drops in a bottle along with my soap mixtures and it turns the whole thing blue. I wouldn't use more than a drop or two. It's pretty potent, if you get any directly on clothes before diluting it, stains it like blue dye would.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
I have the same problem. Apparently, that ring is NOT dirt, it's oil from your skin, so to truly remove it you need a soap that is designed to break up oil. Dawn does work if the stain has not been set in, but you need to scrub.

I've found that the Oxyclean spray designed for treating laundry spots does a pretty good job. So does soaking all your white shirts in a mix of HOT water and the Oxyclean powder.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The use of bluing (normally a brand name Mrs, Stewarts) in general, helps keep the "white" in clothing as white has a very light amount of trace blue in the pigments. However, if you have a stain, more of the elements of the bluing will stick to the stain area as the stain will make the bluing concentrate on it a tad bit more than the rest of the shirt. I use bluing on all my white dress shirts, I hand wash them and hang dry them, however I only use the bluing about every three times I wash the shirts. I have used bluing for about the last 35 years.

If you get the stains out first and then use the bluing, it will help make the white look brighter. I have a dish tub for washing dishes in the sink, I use that for hand washing shirts which includes both cotton and silk white shirts. In general for a laundry soap, I use woolite cold water wash and I never use hot water on any shirt unless to remove a stain. I have white shirts that are in the age range of 30 years old that still look fairly new.

Oh yes, one other thing to make mention, do not use a brush on stains other than to "tap" the material with a brush, as it will only "sand" the material and break down the material and fray it. If you "tap" a stain with a brush, it may help loosen the stain but don't "saw" at a stain with a brush. I have been able to remove ink from a white shirt, took a few hours time after using different things like spot shot, resolve, bar of soap, tapping with a tooth brush, but I was going to be stubborn enough to put the time into getting the ink out and I did.

Last edited:

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
For ring-around-the-collar, I grab the bottle of liquid laundry soap (any brand) and somewhat generously dribble it along the length of the collar stained with dirt. I work it into the fabric, either folding the fabric onto itself, or using a brush. Then I put it into the washer with the rest of the clothing. Usually it comes out nice and clean. If especially dirty, I sometimes repeat by washing the shirt a second time. :D

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
For ring-around-the-collar, I grab the bottle of liquid laundry soap (any brand) and somewhat generously dribble it along the length of the collar stained with dirt. I work it into the fabric, either folding the fabric onto itself, or using a brush. Then I put it into the washer with the rest of the clothing. Usually it comes out nice and clean.

+1
It's THE method to get a crisp-clean collar. What's more, it's not an aggressive method; the shirt's life span will not be shortened.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
It used to be the custom to "turn" the collars and cuffs after long wear. This means, pick out the stitches, detach the collar and cuffs, turn them around and sew them back on. This was done to equalize wear.

To prevent recurrence wash your neck and your shirts more often .

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
It used to be the custom to "turn" the collars and cuffs after long wear. This means, pick out the stitches, detach the collar and cuffs, turn them around and sew them back on. This was done to equalize wear.

It also used to be the custom to take a needle and thread to repair holes in socks! But how often is either of these things done anymore? Little to never! It seems that most people now would rather spend the money than take the time.:eeek: :doh:

earl

A-List Customer
Have always sprayed collars and arm pits with Spray and Wash every time prior to washing and it's always prevented staining. The trick is not to let the stains even start. Earl

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I wanted to thank everyone for their replies. I haven't gotten a chance to do anything with my shirts yet, but I didn't want my fellow loungers to think that I'm not appreciative or that I'm just here to post-and-run. Thanks again for everyone's input! When I do get around to making an attempt (I think I'll be giving the Dawn a shot first; will hopefully be this weekend), I'll let everyone know how it went.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Spray it liberally with Shout (or whatever the other brands of that are), let it set for a few hours, and then wash normally with whatever detergent you would use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld