Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Revisited: The Double-breasted Blazer

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Burberry has one with rather chunky lapels. This is the one I have.

Joseph A Banks has one, and Polo does as well. Not to mention all of the no-name brands at the discount men's shops. They are out there. ;)

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've thrifted both a Brooks Bros. db blazer and a Burberry db from Saks in the past. They can be found. I don't have either one any more, but keep your eyes open at the thrift shops. One will turn up eventually.

Hemingway Jones looks very stylish in his in, I believe, the Borsalino thread.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's why God made thrift stores. I think I bought my earlier Brooks and Burberry blazers for a total of about $10. The Burberry was a 6x1, however, so I let it go.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Perhaps I should get an ascot then...Would you look down upon wearing a db blazer sans any neckwear? As a student, I don't want to go over the deep end from stylish clothing to costume...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
18th Century Blazer jacket

Cacklewack said:
This no collar, brass button business reminds me of this:

longjohnsilver.jpg

Allowing for artistic licence this is a reasonable view of a blazer jacket. The cuffs are wrong, being from a greatcoat, but the general effect of Long John Silver is there. I believe it is by the estimable Mr. N.C. Wyeth from the US 1911 edition of Treasure Island.

Alan

Jovan

Suspended
slicedbread said:
Perhaps I should get an ascot then...Would you look down upon wearing a db blazer sans any neckwear? As a student, I don't want to go over the deep end from stylish clothing to costume...
Remember to leave the bottom button undone -- which I think should be done all the time with a 6x2 anyways -- as it would help the casual look here especially. A single breasted two button might be a better step at first if you're just now starting to dress up your everyday wear. I've yet to own a blazer, but I'll probably get the latter first myself.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Jovan said:
Remember to leave the bottom button undone -- which I think should be done all the time with a 6x2 anyways
I have seen a large number of vintage photos (and a few modern ones too) where both the middle and bottom buttons are fastened; the top is the only button undone. I've also seen a lot of people wearing just the middle button fastened.

How does everybody here usually wear their DB blazers/suits?

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Jovan said:
Remember to leave the bottom button undone -- which I think should be done all the time with a 6x2 anyways -- as it would help the casual look here especially. A single breasted two button might be a better step at first if you're just now starting to dress up your everyday wear. I've yet to own a blazer, but I'll probably get the latter first myself.

I've worn sportcoats/slacks(including db sportcoats) for about a year now...Started senior year of high school, it's nearing the end...I just remember reading somewhere that one should NEVER wear a db coat without a tie and that sounded a little silly...I definitely do leave the bottom button undone for comfort's sake as opposed to looks

Jovan

Suspended
Obviously comfort is paramount. But it also looks better and more relaxed to my eyes. [huh] Some people will argue that it shouldn't be done with a 4x2, but I think it looks better there too.

Grace

Vendor
Here's a question for the fellas:

When I'm buying stock for my site, I often run across the the jacket of a 40s suit, with no slacks. My husband hates the look of a jacket with non matched slacks.

Just yesterday I had the opportunity to buy the coolest 40s DB jacket, but passed because there were no slacks.

Would you fellas still be interested if it were only the jacket?

Jovan

Suspended
I think there'd still be a number of guys interested, as some can still be worn as sportcoats. But keep in mind, some coats will look much more orphaned than others. Namely double breasted pinstriped type dealies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marco21