Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds’ founder Stuart interviewed

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The problem with lost worlds is the world of jacket making has moved on but like his dated website he has not.
In all fairness they are well made quality jackets but things are not the same now as back then when most of us wanted the heaviest weight horsehide we could get. I get that some want MC jackets in particular that are heavyweight but I will confine myself to flight jackets.

You can buy a capeskin A-1 from headwind for $ 650
You can buy a Platon Dubow for $532
And you would have spent $43 less the buying the less authentic Lost Worlds Dubow or A-1 both of which are $1225

I don't know much about flight jackets, but nobody builds such sturdy jackets with this level of construction. And that's part of the appeal. I could go on about the other qualities as well.
Also, if it comes to the Buco J31 for an example I looked into, they were built so haphazardly with widely differing details that authenticity is a moot point.

Not sure how strict they were with compliance to military contract though.

Ok. I thought that was an English expression.

Seems, I am not the only one who got confused :)
It is an english expression literally translated to French... there is no such expression in french

jonbuilder

Lions and tigers and bears are pretty scary but nothing on land compares to this insta-death stuff the oceans have.

Mine too. I was obsessed with that book for a good year after I re-read it. They give us all this stuff to read at school when we know nothing about anything or at least I personally was an idiot who didn't know nothing about life, which is what the book is about (don't mean it's an allegory or nothing, just that it's about how things turn out) so of course I didn't get it. Then I read it again later and man, what a beautiful thing it is...

Same as when I couldn't even finish reading Anna Karenina in school because I thought it's freaking boring with all the grownup stuff happening and then later on it became my favorite book in the world. Coincidentally, at the time I decided to read the book again which happened by mere accident, I had my own Anna thing going in life on so the timing couldn't have been any better. Or worse. Either way, it was nice.
Hemingway was a pioneer with his short simple sentence-style he developed writing about his life experiences. Unfortunately, was quite the chad who finally blew his brains out because he could not confront his alcoholism.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway was a pioneer with his short simple sentence-style he developed writing about his life experiences. Unfortunately, was quite the chad who finally blew his brains out because he could not confront his alcoholism.

That's a bit simplistic, or was that a Hemingway style pared-back explanation? :D It was more likely depression and mental illness that led to alcohol misuse, as is so often the case. Self-medication like this is common. A lot of great American authors had this issue, from Faulkner to Fitzgerald, Mailer to Capote. I never much liked Hemingway and preferred the real father of the simple pared back sentences, Jack London - who influenced Hemingway and was also a hard drinking man who died of an overdose. Don't be a 20th century writer...

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
This popped up on my Google feed today, an interview with Stu:

https://airmail.news/issues/2023-9-30/tougher-than-leather

You have input an email address to read the article, but you can enter jibberish and not have to verify that the email is valid by clicking a link.

Nothing illuminating that probably isn't already known nor been discussed here before. I learned Stu is an anti-dentite. (OK, that's my one cheap shot.) But I also didn't realize he was 73. For all the crap that gets dumped on him, perhaps some of it rightly so, it's hard to deny that the leather jacket world will be worse off whenever Stu decides to hang it up.

jonbuilder

That's a bit simplistic, or was that a Hemingway style pared-back explanation? :D It was more likely depression and mental illness that led to alcohol misuse, as is so often the case. Self-medication like this is common. A lot of great American authors had this issue, from Faulkner to Fitzgerald, Mailer to Capote. I never much liked Hemingway and preferred the real father of the simple pared back sentences, Jack London - who influenced Hemingway and was also a hard drinking man who died of an overdose. Don't be a 20th century writer...
After further research, I agree with you. Hemingway suffered from acute pain due and back-to-back plane crashes from a car crash. He most likely suffered from a mental illness inherited from his father who shot himself in the head with a revolver.

Trouser Bark

Familiar Face
This has been an interesting read. I have been in the manufacturing business since deep into the prior century and there is an illustration you'll sometimes hear in that arena that would be applicable here.

It usually surrounds a well known product and for grins let's insert Nike. You recently bought a new pair of Nike sneaks and something went wrong that caused you to call the factory. You call long distance. The factory guy picks up the phone and hollers 'harro'!

You begin to explain the problem and get about two sentences in before he hollers something unintelligible, slams the phone down and the line goes dead.

You may have been talking to the best shoe-maker at Nike.

It only means that he has different social skills than you and perhaps that he shouldn't be answering the phone.

Larger companies have two divisions; production and sales. Those are distinctly different and unrelated professions.

Mid-size companies produce goods and contract out the sales process to a manufacturer's rep firm.

Small companies don't have their own sales force and they don't have representation so you may have to deal w/ our buddy in the Nike illustration to get what you want.

Raise your tolerance level to get what you're looking for and in this thread several have not. Among inappropriate comparisons one poster implies that if a person makes references to masculinity they also likely enjoy aberrant sexual behaviors. Yeah, that's not true. It would be more accurate to say that he's from a generation where every kid read West Side Story as if it was a gem of its time rather than the worthless ranting of a marginally literate and semi-retarded pastor.

If you're going to express an opinion about a niche builder in a small segment of the market at least recognize that that guy arrived on your horizon for doing something really well. That does not mean his personality will mesh well with yours and as one gentleman hinted at earlier, when you put the phone down after that conversation you may have taken umbrage at a remark he made that (you felt) challenged your masculinity.

So you leave the call with the impression that that guy figures you know what dick tastes like. Who cares. That's not what you're calling him for and it's not an important part of the conversation nor the transaction. You allowed that call to stray from your primary interest.

It is a rarity that the proprietor of a tiny niche manufacturer also might have outstanding social skills. The opposite is true as he's probably listened to every time wasting douche and at 69 years old now recognizes that he no longer has an interest in entertaining tire kickers. Keep your conversation focused in order to get what you want while disallowing anyone the chance to scuff up a fragile grasp on masculinity, criticize other manufacturer's products or challenge your views on fitment.

Place your order, ask what you need and let the man get back to his cutting table and sewing machine. You'll both be better for it.

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
This has been an interesting read. I have been in the manufacturing business since deep into the prior century and there is an illustration you'll sometimes hear in that arena that would be applicable here.

It usually surrounds a well known product and for grins let's insert Nike. You recently bought a new pair of Nike sneaks and something went wrong that caused you to call the factory. You call long distance. The factory guy picks up the phone and hollers 'harro'!

You begin to explain the problem and get about two sentences in before he hollers something unintelligible, slams the phone down and the line goes dead.

It only means that he has different social skills than you and perhaps that he shouldn't be answering the phone.

Larger companies have two divisions; production and sales. Those are distinctly different and unrelated professions.

Mid-size companies produce goods and contract out the sales process to a manufacturer's rep firm.

Small companies don't have their own sales force and they don't have representation so you may have to deal w/ our buddy in the Nike illustration to get what you want.

Raise your tolerance level to get what you're looking for and in this thread several have not. Among inappropriate comparisons one poster implies that if a person makes references to masculinity they also likely enjoy aberrant sexual behaviors. Yeah, that's not true. It would be more accurate to say that he's from a generation where every kid read West Side Story as if it was a gem of its time rather than the worthless ranting of a marginally literate and semi-retarded pastor.

If you're going to express an opinion about a niche builder in a small segment of the market at least recognize that that guy arrived on your horizon for doing something really well. That does not mean his personality will mesh well with yours and as one gentleman hinted at earlier, when you put the phone down after that conversation you may have taken umbrage at a remark he made that (you felt) challenged your masculinity.

So you leave the call with the impression that that guy figures you know what dick tastes like. Who cares. That's not what you're calling him for and it's not an important part of the conversation nor the transaction. You allowed that call to stray from your primary interest.

It is a rarity that the proprietor of a tiny niche manufacturer also might have outstanding social skills. The opposite is true as he's probably listened to every time wasting douche and at 69 years old now recognizes that he no longer has an interest in entertaining tire kickers. Keep your conversation focused in order to get what you want while disallowing anyone the chance to scuff up a fragile grasp on masculinity, criticize other manufacturer's products or challenge your views on fitment.

Place your order, ask what you need and let the man get back to his cutting table and sewing machine. You'll both be better for it.

These are some excellent points.

bigmanbigtruck

A-List Customer

While the "harro" example is kinda crazy, most of it rings true.

Based on my interactions, I believe Lost Worlds consists of only 2 people - the infamous Stuart & his machinist Fausto. They're the Sales & Production departments, respectively. Stuart definitely has additional responsibilities like sourcing raw materials, equipment, designs, QC, customer service, etc... but the point is he does everything else around the business so his machinist can focus solely on making the product. And having to manage all those things as a one-man team must be exhausting. No wonder his emails are usually short and to the point.

I've spoken to him a few times and never felt like I was disrespected and he's a lot more social over the phone. He's a very easy-going person despite what the website would have you believe. After reading all the posts on here and dreading what my first experience with Lost Worlds was going to be like, I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe Stuart mellowed out over the years...

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I have found him professional and efficient. Neither friendly nor unfriendly, which was fine. I’m not shopping for a friend. I get the impression that some buyers are searching for a complete retail “experience” from smaller makers. That is not on themenu at Lw

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken