Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reissue A-2, Cockpit USA

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Here is the down and dirty on a size 42R...

Shoulder - 20"
P to P - 23"
Back - 25"
Sleeve - 26"

The leather aroma from this jacket is intoxicating, to say the least. Almost a classic WWII fit on my frame. Maybe an inch too much in the shoulder, but very doable.
Great goatskin. Quality craftsmanship. The color is a very dark seal. So dark that it is almost black (yes, I like it).

The lining is a cotton blend.

Just got this, so it has not been worn, just tried on for size. If there ever was a leather windbreaker, this is it. Almost a year round jacket.

At 20% off on sale from Cockpit, this is a bargain.

I will reshoot the photos tomorrow. And post them here again.

edit: Shoulder = 20"

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
To be honest, I'm not taken by the look of that, even hanging up and the shoulders are at least 2 inches too wide. Maybe it will look better on.

Does anyone know how the Cockpit WW2 versions are sized as? In a 42 they need a 18.5-19 inch shoulder to look right.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
reissue-a-2-jacket
To be honest, I'm not taken by the look of that, even hanging up and the shoulders are at least 2 inches too wide. Maybe it will look better on.

Does anyone know how the Cockpit WW2 versions are sized as? In a 42 they need a 18.5-19 inch shoulder to look right.

Yes. And my G&B, size 42, has shoulders at 19.5". But to be fair, the hanger in this photo needs to be larger. The picture does not present the jacket in the best light possible.

And this jacket supposedly is made to D.O.D. Specs.

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
This is a very nice jacket, for sure. On sale from Cockpit at 20% off, you can't go wrong. Well...some of you could, but I suspect you are in the minority! This most likely will become my summer "warm weather" flight jacket.

Note the deep, rich, gorgeous seal brown color.

Peacoat

Bartender
Looks good. I too like my seal brown to be dark.The only thing that would concern me is the width of the shoulders. My Goodwear Poughkeepsie pattern* is spot on at 19.5." I think the 21" shoulders would be just a tad droopy for me.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
My Wings Signature G-1, size 44, has a shoulder width of 18". It is a perfect fit for my frame. The A-2 here, with 20", is about an inch more than I care for. But it will be kept and used as a flight jacket during warmer weather. That extra 1" may come in handy over my nomex underwear and flightsuit!

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
After all is said and done, both the A-2 and G-1 were both designed as flight gear - nothing more, nothing less. ;)

The amazing thing to consider is that these jackets offer little in the way of insulation. Combine that with the B-17 crews flying without pressurization, at very cold temps (well below zero). The waist gunner's Brownings would freeze up due to the cold if the oil was not removed before flight...a rookie mistake.

I do know that P-51's have a heater, and it works very well.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Great looking jacket Tex!

You know, I had lost a little faith in the Cockpit for awhile there (Going to their first showroom to see the sawed off Texan and Gooney Bird cockpit trainer was a regular journey for me in my college days).

But I've seen several jackets recently from them that have really made me reconsider my earlier...um, reconsideration.

Like to see some fit pics!

Deacon

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
TXFlyGuy your A-2 looks great, although I can't quite reconcile the 21" shoulder measurement with everything else. Below are a few pics of my G&B "historical" A-2 Mark 43 with veg tanned mahogany HH that is very different from their standard A-2 with a blousy fit this one doesn't have. Although mine is labeled as a size 40 (tall), it fits more like a size 46 in most WWII contracts. I measured my G&B again and came up with this:

Shoulder - 19"
P to P - 24"
Back - 27"
Sleeve - 27"

2014-06-14 18.27.10.jpg 2014-06-14 18.27.20.jpg 2017-02-04 11.50.30.jpg 2017-02-04 11.50.56.jpg 2017-02-04 11.52.24.jpg

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
The amazing thing to consider is that these jackets offer little in the way of insulation. Combine that with the B-17 crews flying without pressurization, at very cold temps (well below zero).
I thought the gunners, tail, waist and ball wore B-3's. The front of the B-17 was heated and the crew mostly wore A-2's. When you see period crew pics there is always a mix of B-3's and A-2's, with officers in A-2's.
Oh, and love your Cockpit A-2!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Plus the crews wore electrically heated long underwear. But it still had to be freezing, with the side open at the gunners position, winds blowing in at 275 mph, 30 below zero.

I'll post a few "fit pics" later. Need the proper backdrop!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I thought the gunners, tail, waist and ball wore B-3's. The front of the B-17 was heated and the crew mostly wore A-2's. When you see period crew pics there is always a mix of B-3's and A-2's, with officers in A-2's.
Oh, and love your Cockpit A-2!

I have seen photos of the pilots wearing B-3's in the B-17 cockpit also. Somehow I doubt the effectiveness of the heater. I'll ask a good friend who flies Aluminum Overcast for the EAA.

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
Please DO ask. I have always been curious about those heaters. You see the ducts on schematic drawings, and I had the impression that the forward crewmen generally wore A-2's, but (other than the fact that Aluminum Overcast doesn't fly at altitudes where it would be 30 below) an actual B-17 pilot would be the guy to ask.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Please DO ask. I have always been curious about those heaters. You see the ducts on schematic drawings, and I had the impression that the forward crewmen generally wore A-2's, but (other than the fact that Aluminum Overcast doesn't fly at altitudes where it would be 30 below) an actual B-17 pilot would be the guy to ask.

My friend is an actual B-17 pilot. Plus he owns and flies a P-51. He did say that the cockpit heater on the Mustang was very effective. He flies it at altitudes in the low 20's.
While Kent mainly flies the B-17 during the airshow season, I'm sure he is familiar with the heater, and how well it works. I'll let you know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun