Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about fountain pens

robrinay

One Too Many
Please bear in mind that some early pens were constructed from plastic made from milk protein (e.g certain Conway Stewart models) and will soften and melt if exposed to water for too long. I left a 'Dinkie' fountain pen outside overnight and rain destroyed it. If in doubt have an old expensive pen serviced by a competent person who will take it apart and gently remove dried ink from the feed etc. - you will find such on pen collecting websites and they charge less than the value of a vintage pen and will also replace fossilised ink sacs retune the nib etc. - or better still sign up for a pen repair course if you can find one. Rob
Ps I would be careful with the ammonia solution suggestion as alkalis can damage plastics and other components. I would recommend a mild solution of 'tee pol' or similar gentle detergent solution with cool water flushing. If that doesn't clear the blockage then send it to someone competent to disassemble and clean it.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Please bear in mind that some early pens were constructed from plastic made from milk protein (e.g certain Conway Stewart models) and will soften and melt if exposed to water for too long.

You're thinking of Casein. I think C/S was one of the few companies to use that plastic. Most used celluloid. That said, celluloid has its own hazards...

Nobert

Practically Family
Really impressed with the Lamy Safari. I am looking at buying a few more to see what I like and don't like. Will keep updated on what I pick up.

I had one of those. A decent "starter" pen. After a few years, though, the clip snapped right off. Or, I should say, it snapped off the top of the cap, since it's made of wire. This cheesed me off, since the catalog made such a big deal about its rugged durability. Also, a wider nib than I would prefer, even though it was a fine (Lamys run broad compared to some other brands).

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Ottawa, I bought the Lamy converter and am using Parker Quink black ink. Really love the set-up, but I can see the people who enjoy converters as well.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I just saw that on the video. The only ink I have is Parker Quink. I am sure there may be better out there but it does the job for me and is safe for my pens

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Teach, looks like you're getting a bad case of Fountainpenitus!! It's as bad as Fedoraitus, costly and it never improves, it only gets worse. What great sicknesses!!!! You'll love the pen's effect on you, they slow you down and make you appreciate the written word and writing those words. There is just a deeper connection with what you write when you use a fountain pen. There's no interface between your heart and your actual words. Computers are faster, but there's just a difference using the pen, you are directly connected to the words, you're actually the one putting them on the paper, not the printer. You're designing the layout, font size, depth of color, shading, and writing style by hand! The writer connects directly with the words and you design each letter of each word with your pen. That's the best way I know how to describe it. When you write a note to someone, use your pen, stamp it and mail it. You'll be surprised at what you'll hear from the recipients. There's just something very special about getting a hand written letter that elevates it far above an e-mail or a computer generated letter. The hand written letter connects the writer with the reader that the sterile, industrial computer generated and printed letter just can't match. Enjoy! And Welcome to the sickness again!!

Last edited:

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Preacher Man, I know exactly what you are talking about. One of the most relaxing and rewarding parts of my day is when I can sit down at the end of the day and write in my journal or do some historical research using my fountain pen. It takes you back in time before everything was disposable.

hatguy1

One Too Many
...When you write a note to someone, use your pen, stamp it and mail it. You'll be surprised at what you'll hear from the recipients. There's just something very special about getting a hand written letter that elevates it far above an e-mail or a computer generated letter. The hand written letter connects the writer with the reader that the sterile, industrial computer generated and printed letter just can't match.

Absolutely agree [even though I haven't yet caught Fountainpenitus. But I do have a chronic case of Fedoraitus.] Most authorities on recognition say the reception/appreciation of a hand-written note is 10-fold that of an email or even a Word doc note.

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
Picked up a couple "disposible" fountains pens the other day at Staples. they got me going until I got my waterman from amazon. I used them in a training class last week, very nice but the flipping xerox paper was too thin as the ink started seeping through.

Now I went to use them today & maybe its the issue of disposible fountain pens, but they seem to be seeping at the nib? Is this usual? As I was holding one I could see the ink forming small balls on the end of the nib. And this was after it being stored nib up, but they had sat for a couple days on their sides.
I went to uncap one & got a small splash that just missed my sleeve, not good. I can wash it off my skin but I dont want my shirts stained or heavens forbid for it to splash on say my fedora.

I wont be getting fountainpen-itis, I have an waterman I prefer, rollerball I think. All in moderation :D

hatguy1

One Too Many
Picked up a couple "disposible" fountains pens the other day at Staples....

Hey, that's a good idea.

I went to uncap one & got a small splash that just missed my sleeve, not good. I can wash it off my skin but I dont want my shirts stained or heavens forbid for it to splash on say my fedora.

I wont be getting fountainpen-itis, I have an waterman I prefer, rollerball I think. All in moderation :D

That may hold me back as well. I'm not very hygenic when it comes to fresh ink. I've noticed in my journaling (using a ballpoint pen) that I smudge the ink a bit holding the journal open. I could imagine the messes I'd create with a fountain pen (assuming I didn't end up leaving it somewhere).

I'm probably going to stay with a rollerball pen at best. Not very vintage but safer for me.

robrinay

One Too Many
You're thinking of Casein. I think C/S was one of the few companies to use that plastic. Most used celluloid. That said, celluloid has its own hazards...
The Burnham Pen Company used casein too and so did Sheaffer in some of their earlier models - but they withdrew these offering replacements when they found that they swelled up in high humidity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe