Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purse and Shoe addiction!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I think I've acquired an addition to purses and shoes since I've begun wearing more vintage styled clothing. I never felt the need to have several purses, nor shoes in assorted colors. Now it seems I can't have enough! Is there a cure for this? :) (Not that I want to be "cured"--this is way too fun!)

Here's my latest purchase. (It says pending, but its been paid for and is on its way to me)

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/a-and-j-esoterica/item/Dof-0919

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Beautiful bag, Bonnie Jean!!

Now I wish I had all those handbags of my moms from the 40's and 50's that she wanted to give me. I proclaimed them all "Old Lady" bags. Of course, this was years ago before I had any "taste"lol

Nashoba

One Too Many
I know what you mean! I don't have so much a thing for purses as I do for shoes. It's my biggest weakness. I don't think there is a cure...my husband has been trying to cure me for years and it just hasn't worked!
Nash

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Now I wish I had all those handbags of my moms from the 40's and 50's that she wanted to give me. I proclaimed them all "Old Lady" bags. Of course, this was years ago before I had any "taste"

Me too! When my grandmother passed away 10 years ago or so, she had quite a collection of proper lady accessories: lots of gloves, purses, hats and scarves. I remember thinking those were just little old lady stuff. I think they ended up at a Salvation Army store or something. I could just thump myself on the head now for letting those things go:eusa_doh: ....but I was young and naive and didn't have a clue to what "style" really meant.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
This will be my first Dofan bag purchase. I'm excited to get it. I'm just now learning about vintage bags. The vintage bags seem to be made sturdier than a lot I see in the average store. Plus I love the styling of vintage bags and that's something I can never find with modern ones. I want to get a red purse (I've got some red shoes that need a "purse partner") and a navy one--but I don't have any navy shoes...yet! Oh, and maybe a bone-colored one would be nice too. I'm going to start dreaming purses and shoes if I keep this up! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with this "affliction".

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I know all about shoe addictions! Just this last year I've been really adding to my collection, whereas before, I could really care less about what kind of shoe I was wearing [huh] My daughter also has a huge shoe addiction...started I think at age 5, she swears she can never have too many pairs of shoes!:p

Ms. Parriss

New in Town
BonnieJean said:
I think I've acquired an addition to purses and shoes since I've begun wearing more vintage styled clothing. I never felt the need to have several purses, nor shoes in assorted colors. Now it seems I can't have enough! Is there a cure for this? :) (Not that I want to be "cured"--this is way too fun!)

Here's my latest purchase. (It says pending, but its been paid for and is on its way to me)

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/a-and-j-esoterica/item/Dof-0919
Bonnie, that purse is fabulous!!! Addiction makes it sound like you need a cure, the only cure you need, SALE!!!lol

Caledonia

Practically Family
Nice bag Bonnie. Another one to look out for is Koret. I've got a couple of both makes in the collection. And the only cure is to run out of money! Then you go cold turkey for a month, shake, sweat, run your hands over your collection, and eventually realise that a bag for every day of the month is enough, enough I say! :D

texasgirl

One Too Many
BonnieJean, I thought of you when I just purchased this Dofan handbag! Are you liking yours? Does anyone else know any brands to look out for when looking for a nice handbag.

purse.jpg

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Texasgirl,

You snagged the one I had been eyeballing! I'm currently looking for a navy purse and had been debating on whether to get that one or not. Oh, well, back to the hunt. Congratulations on your new Dofan! I just love my brown one. I'm afraid I'm getting a little snobbish with my purses though and only looking for Dofans. Lets see, besides needing a navy Dofan...a black one would be nice, and then a red one would be neat too...white and taupe...

No, I can't shake my purse and shoe addiction--I'm in it deep!

BTW, I just ordered an oxford shoe from Naturalizer that was mentioned here in another thread.

I think I'm going to need a bigger closet now...

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Texasgirl,
I was wrong, this WAS the one I was looking at--I forgot, I had also wanted a black Dofan.

Woo-eee! That purse is too rich for my blood too! I prefer to get the purses that have been gently used (and loved) over something that is mint. Especially since I use them everyday and they'll get banged around a bit. My grandma used to tell me, "What's the point of holding on to "stuff" if all you're going to do is just look at it--use it and enjoy it." So even if I buy "collectible" stuff I'll still use it. I prefer to live in a home rather than a museum. Whoa, I'd better step off my pedestal before someone pushes me off!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow! I snagged this Dofan a few weeks ago at an estate sale for $10 - I had no idea they were so valuable!
dofan.jpg

sorry for the crappy pic, i can take more if anyone is interested

BonnieJean

Practically Family
OOOOOOOOH, a red Dofan! I'm jealous! And $10 is a steal!
Are the handle sides different? That's why I like Dofan purses, they have little details that make them unique. A lot of them will have art deco detailing. I'm curious what are the dimensions of your purse and if you don't mind, could you take a picture of the inside? Is it real leather?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, the sides are different - here is a pic of the back and the requested pic of the inside, and yes it's real leather! It's 10.5 inches tall and 8.5 inches wide, and expands to about 3 inches deep though it's pretty flat when empty. Your enthusiasm is infectious!! :)
dofanback.jpg

dofanopen.jpg

BonnieJean

Practically Family
You better hold on tightly to that purse! Wow, what a find! It looks like its in very good condition. Red Dofans must be a little rarer, because I hardly see any and when I do, they're usually way out of my price league. I haven't been to an estate sale in a while. I ought to start going again, just to snag up all the "little old lady" purses.

Miss Bella, if you ever tire of your sweet red Dofan, I know where you can send it! :D

When a friend of ours got her purse stolen, I commented to my hubby how I sure would hate to have mine stolen; meaning all my credit cards and personal info. My husband replied, "I wouldn't be nearly as worried about that stuff. I would be more concerned that they stole your Dofan!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe