Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s dress hats

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Early 1900's EW Hatshop Long Hair

I just received this early long hair from ebay today. This is the first of two long hairs that I bought this week. There is no major manufacture tag on this hat, but based on the size label and sweatband stitching, its pretty early. It could pre-date the 19-teens.

This is how I received the hat:

DSC07911.jpg

DSC07912.jpg

DSC07913.jpg

DSC07914.jpg

After some steaming and brushing.....

DSC07958.jpg

DSC07956.jpg

DSC07959.jpg

DSC07961.jpg

DSC07965.jpg

DSC07962.jpg

BEHerron

New in Town
I LIKE this. Love the flexibility in look and that ribbon is great. +1 on the uniqueness of it.

Rally

This hat is new-to-me and has the most unique ribbon treatment I have ever seen. The ribbon crosses on both the left and right sides and also has a back bow with frayed ends.

DSC07843.jpg

DSC07844.jpg

DSC07845.jpg

DSC07846.jpg

DSC07847.jpg

DSC07848.jpg

DSC07849.jpg

DSC07851.jpg

DSC07853.jpg

DSC07852.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, Fantastic! Rare to find a light color old Velour is such great condition. Also great to see a hat from a Baltimore store!

Thanks, Steve! I'm so thrilled with the color of this velour. Its like a champagne gray and a color velour I had not had in my collection until now.

Ditto. :eusa_clap

A fantastic hat in great condition. I love that bow. Are you able to wear it?

Thanks so much, Alan! That twisted center bow is also one of my favorites. The hat is a bit snug for me. I can push it down on my noggin, but I risk popping the stitches, so it looks like this one will just be for show.

Josh, congrats to this Hat, wow what a wide ribbon! I really like it!

Thanks, Manfred! The ribbon looks much wider in the pictures than it appears in real life, but it either measures 2 1/8 or 2 1/4.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1910's/20's Congress (Trimble) "Double Ring Beaver" Long hair

I bought this one a couple weeks ago......

Here's the original auction link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Double-Ring-Beaver-Hat-Excellent-Condition-/320997741068?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=6Ix4ja9mWlpGYdPlclnkR0dpsm4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

From the auction pictures, it appeared that I was buying a black velour by an unknown maker with a tall and straight crown. After I received the hat, I was surprised by a few things. When I first opened the box, I noticed that the hat was actually a very deep brown and had a much longer nap than I originally thought. Out of the box the hat was un-brushed, very dusty, and had a crazy cowlick in the nap of the fur on the top of the crown. When I popped the crown out, I noticed that not only was the crown not very tall, it was very tapered and rounded. To my surprise however, upon pulling back the sweatband I found that this hat was made by Trimble! This is the oldest Trimble I have ever seen. It is also marked "Double Ring Beaver." I have no idea what that means though. Its soft like beaver, but the way the fur reacts to bushing and steaming is very similar to my other Rabbit long hair hats. I would imagine the "beaver" just means "beaver finish."

Here's the original auction pictures that made me think I was buying a black velour with a tall and straight crown

KGrHqFn8FBYT47FSBQclKUiLw60_57.jpg

KGrHqNlEFBLN6t90vBQclKPGPs60_57.jpg

Here's the hat with the original deep center crease and un-brushed felt......

DSC08048.jpg

DSC08052.jpg

DSC08053.jpg

and after some brushing and steaming.......

DSC08065.jpg

DSC08071.jpg

DSC08072.jpg

DSC08073.jpg

DSC08070.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, Great find! I really like the deep brown Velour and wide bow. It looks to be in fantastic condition too.

Josh, fantastic find, congrats to this beauty! Looks very good!

Nice one Josh.

Wonderful hat, Josh!!... reminds me of another that we've both admired. ;)

Josh
Got to say man i'm I jealous right now... wishing I had one or two in my collection, great find!

Koool...$9.00 was a lot for a hat.

THANKS SO MUCH, GENTLEMEN!!! This hat was a great surprise for me and it really cleaned up well. I was just surprised at how short and tapered the crown is. This hat is another prime example that shows that not every hat had a tall and straight crown in the earlier part of the 20th century.

Alan, when I pulled the hat out of the box, I immediately thought of you and your beautiful Hawes hat. I must say though, I much prefer the block profile of your Hawes over this Trimble. :)

Vic, $9.00 was quite a lot for a hat at this time. I wonder if the higher price point was because it was a long hair or because there is some truth to the "Beaver" stamping on the sweatband. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe