Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Potential problem with a new horsehide jacket

msfamf

New in Town
Just a couple weeks ago I got my hands on a brand new Wested Raiders Hero jacket. I got it in their horsehide ( long list of reasons) and I've noticed after wearing it a couple of times that it gets a sandy white residue on the back and back right shoulder area. The first time it happened I just cleaned it off and dismissed it because I just recently moved from a beachfront area so I am still used to sand in and on everything. After a couple more times of wear I noticed it is still happening. It's not near as much or as noticeable. I talked to my brother and he told me that the people here know their stuff when it comes to leather jackets and to ask for some advice. Basically what I want to know is this normal for horsehide and how can I stop it? I've been wearing leather jackets since I was a kid but all them have been cowhide and 1 abysmal goat so I'm not familiar with horsehide at all. Unfortunately I cleaned it before he suggested asking here so I don't have any pictures of the residue.

Tldr:
white residue on horsehide. What the crap?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It could be the wax from the tanning process - part of which includes soaking skins in hot oils. In certain circumstances - temperature, conditions - this can come to the surface as a white residue, which can be polished of easily. If it is this, it doesn't meant that there is anything intrinsically wrong with your jacket, but it would be good to see some pics of the residue.

msfamf

New in Town
Thanks for the info!
If its not too hot and humid I'll wear it tomorrow and see if it comes out again. If it does I will see if it even will show up in a picture. I can feel it a lot better than I can see it. The residue almost looks like a faint dusting of salt or white sand.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like the wax. It can be closer to a dull dry coating, but can also look like mildew if you don't know what you're looking at. I would try buffing it first and seeing what that does.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Probably exactly what @Sloan1874 said: Residue from the tanning process. I have a pair of Alden Shell Cordovan shoes that has a white residue from time to time, and I simply use a horsehair brush to remove it. No problem.

What Sloan said. It's nothing unheard of, sandy white residue can often appear on leather. It's either crystallized fat or salt that passed through the leather and formed on the surface - though it could in theory be mold as well, but I doubt it. In any case, if you can easily wipe it off, it's nothing serious. I had this happening on one of my jackets once or twice and I have found this article very informing and helpful:
https://alaskawhitestuffid.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/leather-and-skin/

msfamf

New in Town
Thanks so much to three of you. I got super worried that I got a jacket with a bad batch of leather. Like I said I know next to nothing about horsehide and I tend to worry. I would have been super upset if the jacket was a dud.

Last edited:
Thanks so much to three of you. I got super worried that I got a jacket with a bad batch of leather. Like I said I know next to nothing about horsehide and I tend to worry. I would have been super upset if the jacket was a dud.

This isn't limited to horsehide, I've seen it happen to just about every hide out there, pig skin included. I think it most often happens if the jacket gets caught up in the rain. I just recalled that it would appear on one of my Aeros (FQHH) too but it was barely visible, more like a condensation on a mirror.

msfamf

New in Town
Out of 5 leather jackets I have had this is the first I've had it happen to. Two of them were 20+ years old when I got them so I'm sure if they had this problem it was long gone and the two others that aren't the Wested I wore for such a short time I never really noticed. It probably doesn't help that it has been really humid here but also rainy so I've been bouncing between my cowhide and horsehide.

It also happens with older jackets if someone has used too much conditioner. I forget the term, but it has a name. Brushing it out or buffing with a cloth usually works. Worst case- lexol.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I've had a similar situation occur with deeply oiled and wax intensive Motorcycle jacket hides. Seems to look more like a haze than anything else. First time I saw it I thought it was mold, and was greatly concerned. As others has so well said, i doubt there's any real concern here. Enjoy your new jacket and Welcome to FL!! Really hope you find this community welcoming, useful and inspiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe