Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California Sportswear Co Speed King (Horsehide Leather Jacket)

semolina_pilchard

A-List Customer
I love the Idaho leather company. They produce excellent quality products. I believe they have been in business since the 30's? So it is very possible it is original to the jacket. My biker/police jackets have a huge belt loop openings. A 2.5 belt will fit just fine. In the past, I purchased several of their belts at a Pomona meet here in S. Cal. Old school top grain leather. Hard to see that now as more and more American tanneries sadly are no longer operating.

Yeah I had a quick search online and seems they go back to the 30s with a different name, and became Idaho Leather Co in the 50s. Perhaps they were a supplier to leather jacket makers.

semolina_pilchard

A-List Customer
No longer the "patch Pocket". I owned 3 of these, I believe you owned one? I just mailed off one today. I'm keeping one that is quite clean too, but has only a CSC horsehide tag.

This was a popular model, perhaps the name helped!

I have never seen anything like the hang tag you found!. Priceless! I have a couple of CSC boxes and perhaps a sign and lots of jackets!

Was this not advertised in the auction?

These pieces and parts, paper, advertising, is a joy equal to a jacket. I have a nice collection of catalogs, advertising. Someone has a salesman sample CSC leather jacket. I would love to own that.

I bought the other type from you, without the patch pocket, but realised I prefer this style.

Would love to see some photos of the boxes and sign that you have!

In the listing he said that he did not know the model name, so mustn’t have looked in the zip pocket or forgot about it. Couldn’t believe it when I found that. I know what you mean, having the tags makes them even more special. My first vintage leather jacket was a Windward Car Coat that came with tags, and the two of them are really special.

Probably famous last words, but I feel like I can put the buying on ice for a while as I’ve got lucky with a few recently and they are difficult to top.

Speedking is a great name, as @AHP91 said :cool:

semolina_pilchard

A-List Customer
Absolutely incredible find. The tag alone (and it's also excellent condition) is quite the verification piece. I suspect that is a whole lot rarer these days than the jackets themselves. Amazing find and I hope it does fit you - really a museum quality piece there.
Thank you, it is a real beauty and luckily it fits as well :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld