Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pot luck Thanksgiving

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My girlfriend and I are having Thanksgiving at her parents' place this year, and since her mom is just not up to creating a full dinner for ten people, we're doing it potluck. We're buying a pre-cooked turkey, and everyone else is bringing "something". Anyone else doing a non-standard format for Turkeyday? I always think of the Woody Allen movie "Broadway Danny Rose", where Broadway Danny always had all his freak acts at his apartment for Thanksgiving, and he put several dozen turkey TV Dinners in the oven. It had a certain Woody Allenish charm.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
My bf and I are going to my parents' house first.....meal they cook. Then, we'll head over to his sister's place where it's a potluck type dinner. We're to bring the easiest thing........bread rolls. The last stop is the neighbor's home who happens to be our close friends where we'll dig into whatever was left over if we have room for it. What's your favorite part of the Thanksgiving day meal? I'm looking forward to the stuffing. (drool)

deelovely

Practically Family
My mother always has holiday dinners at her house. She does most of the cooking and I just take a dish or two. One always being my sweet potato casserole! RetroBabydoll... I am looking forward to the turkey with my mom's giblet gravy and her pumpkin cobbler with whipped cream!! YUMMMM!

panamag8or

Practically Family
deelovely said:
My mother always has holiday dinners at her house. She does most of the cooking and I just take a dish or two. One always being my sweet potato casserole! RetroBabydoll... I am looking forward to the turkey with my mom's giblet gravy and her pumpkin cobbler with whipped cream!! YUMMMM!

Pumpkin cobbler? That sounds awesome!

Here's an idea for sweet potatoes, also thanks to TSTBE Mrs. Panamag8or:

Take your sweet potatoes, boil them and mash them. Add your cinnamon and such and put the mixture into a cake decorating bag. Lay out a bunch of pineapple slices on a cookie sheet, and squeeze a pile of the sweet potatoes onto each slice. Stick mini-marshmallows around the bottom of the piles, then nuts(if you like)on the outside, and place in the oven for about 5 minutes.

Presto! Individual servings of sweet potato casserole for everyone.

RetroBabydoll said:
What's your favorite part of the Thanksgiving day meal?
This year, getting in the car and leaving--I'm stuck doing Thanksgiving with a relative where he and I mix like two just-barely-subcritical masses of premium weapons-grade plutonium... (translated, that means it's spectacularly unpleasant)

I suppose I should find something to be thankful for it... Ah! Car keys--if he starts something, I can just go park myself in the car until everyone else's ready to go.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
RetroBabydoll said:
What's your favorite part of the Thanksgiving day meal? I'm looking forward to the stuffing. (drool)

I love stuffing also--but only if it is my mom's cornbread kind. I'm also a pumpkin pie fanatic, but no one in the family will eat it except me. I also love homemade cranberry sauce. And lots of gravy on my turkey.

In my family we usually have turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, potato salad, brown & serve rolls, and a bunch of veggies that I don't bother with. And I don't bring anything. ;)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
My favorite is anything with sweet potatoes. I like them mashed (with pineapple chunks or marshmallows) and I like them in pies, and I really like when I can have both.

I'm going to my aunts', though, and some years she only does one or the other, as there's about 15 other people there and many are less drastically enamored of the yam than I am. lol

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know if this is standard format or not, but I buy everything from the market and all the dishes but the turkey are pre-cooked.

I used to spend 3 days cooking, and than one year I just didn't have the time and energy, so we ordered the pre-cooked meal. Honestly, it cost the same and tasted better and no stress. I've been doing it for about 5 years now, and there's very little work and we make sure to buy lots extra so everyone gets a "leftover bag" to take home. Gotta love it.

I talked a co-worker into this method this morning and she was visably relieved from having to cook for 2 days for her family.

Vintage Betty

panamag8or

Practically Family
Vintage Betty said:
I don't know if this is standard format or not, but I buy everything from the market and all the dishes but the turkey are pre-cooked.

I used to spend 3 days cooking, and than one year I just didn't have the time and energy, so we ordered the pre-cooked meal. Honestly, it cost the same and tasted better and no stress. I've been doing it for about 5 years now, and there's very little work and we make sure to buy lots extra so everyone gets a "leftover bag" to take home. Gotta love it.

I talked a co-worker into this method this morning and she was visably relieved from having to cook for 2 days for her family.

Vintage Betty

I can see doing that for the standard items, unless there is some family recipe that must be served. I also agree with doing the bird yourself... I have to have that smell wafting through the house.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
Not sure if you know it,
But you appear to be a poet. :D ;) lol

(Sorry, couldn't resist the limerick.)

Yeah, I couldn't resist it.

I love the taste of turkey. And I've been working out, so I'm not concerned about one days' feast at all. :D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
RetroBabydoll said:
What's your favorite part of the Thanksgiving day meal? I'm looking forward to the stuffing. (drool)
Me too, Thanksgiving is ALL about the stuffing.:essen: Candied sweet potatoes come in a distant 2nd.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Diamondback said:
This year, getting in the car and leaving--I'm stuck doing Thanksgiving with a relative where he and I mix like two just-barely-subcritical masses of premium weapons-grade plutonium... (translated, that means it's spectacularly unpleasant)

I suppose I should find something to be thankful for it... Ah! Car keys--if he starts something, I can just go park myself in the car until everyone else's ready to go.

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like my dad's side of the family so I know what you mean.

I am trying to steal some family recipes from my friends....wish me luck. One is for ambrosia salad and the other is for a really tasty artichoke dip. I really hope they email it to me.

RetroBabydoll said:
wish me luck
Young lady;), as a prof who was like a father to me always said: "You make your own luck--good hunting!" (He was an old fighter pilot who believed that just about everything comes down to skill in the end.) I can relate to your situation, I'm trying to surreptitiously acquire my grandmother's old family cookbooks long enough to digitalize them. (Yes, I actually cook with my laptop...:eek: lol)

Hopefully, Adam Henry*'s wife being present will keep him in check...

*ask someone who's current or former-military... or PM if all else fails.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Diamondback said:
Young lady;), as a prof who was like a father to me always said: "You make your own luck--good hunting!" (He was an old fighter pilot who believed that just about everything comes down to skill in the end.) I can relate to your situation, I'm trying to surreptitiously acquire my grandmother's old family cookbooks long enough to digitalize them. (Yes, I actually cook with my laptop...:eek: lol)

Hopefully, Adam Henry*'s wife being present will keep him in check...

*ask someone who's current or former-military... or PM if all else fails.

You are a very wise person. I really like what your professor said and it really is true. Luck doesn't really have much to do with anything. Sometimes I wonder if we are all destined a certain path in life and skill might only play a little roll in what happens.

I think I'll have to try to sneak a peak at my mother's cookbooks when she's not looking. I am her daughter and yet she's not ready for her recipes to be shared.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!

panamag8or

Practically Family
RetroBabydoll said:
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like my dad's side of the family so I know what you mean.

I am trying to steal some family recipes from my friends....wish me luck. One is for ambrosia salad and the other is for a really tasty artichoke dip. I really hope they email it to me.

Mmm... ambrosia...:eusa_clap

That is a Christmas dish at our house. When I was a kid, my Grandmother lived in West Palm Beach, and we would use oranges and coconuts from her own trees to make it.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll be on the plane

all day Thursday and part of Friday, so unless United is serving turkey, I won't get any.
And my oldest friends and I also have a duck feast every year the day after Thanksgiving, so I'll be missing that too!
But I will be eating weird Shanghai food so it's OK, I guess. But I love Thanksgiving, especially the stuffing! And the gelatinous canned cranberry sauce too...mmm, gooey...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe