Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Pockets

Practically Family
djgo-cat-go said:
stetson20.jpg

That's a really nice hat, man!!

Congratulations!

Jauntyone

Practically Family
New Stetson

Won this on Ebay and just received it to-day. It's a nice rich brown. 1 3/4" brim, super-soft and pliable felt. Very light-weight, too. I would date it to the 1970s, but I'm no expert. I was really surprised at the quality of the felt for such a recent hat, and only a Sovereign grade. The best part is that it has my favorite brim treatment: an overwelt that has been glued down (I assume) rather than stitched, the edge then being squared-off by sanding. I just think this looks sharper even than a Cavanagh edge.
usa052.jpg

usa053.jpg

usa054.jpg

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
HighPockets, Sue, SuitedCboy, Babs, Phineas, Thanks all very much! The felt is rich and soft and dense and I like the colour very much. It could use a cleaning but I'm a bit of a wiener about using naptha.. we'll see, I gave it a good brushing and it's pretty much wearable out of the box.. Could anyone of you fine loungers estimate the date on this 'Twenty'..?

buler

I'll Lock Up
Portis

A Portis with no model name in a super Royal Blue. Very hard to catch the color in a picture, but when you see it in the right light.... wow! Looks to be pretty old too. See more detail in the Portis thread.

B

blue_2.jpg

blue_4.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
RobFedoraField said:
not bein' nosy, but what is your count up to? I seem to recall about 10 new hats recently.

regardless, it seems like a great collection.

Rob

Ah, yes, RobFedoraField - it's been quite a ride lately. Thanks for the (?) compliment.

That's the blessing/curse of having a size 6 7/8 noggin. eBay's a target-rich envirnment and the prices for lids in that size are just too tempting to pass up. :)

I had to face reality last weekend, though, when I counted 8 Homburgs! :eek:

Sue

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Wheewwwww!

Been in here a week or so and already my christmas list has gone from 1 to 3 hats and I am reading everything I can find to learn about the vintage so I can tackle that.
I have to ask if there is a 12 step program for this addiction, LOL

RobFedoraField said:
so... seriously? just pour it into a large bucket, dip the hat and let it dry? what about the liner / sweatband? do you brush it at all? or just dip?

for some reason, I have visions of Rodger the Rabbit....
I use a 5 gallon bucket with lid, pour in a can of naptha. I remove the liner from my hats & clean them separately with Woolite. I dunk the hat into the naptha using thick, rubber gloves, outdoors. I then place the bucket lid on it & slosh it around some, let it sit for a couple of hours. Turn the hat over & do the same. Pull the hat out & let it dry outside, not in direct sunlight. Brush it well, re-crease if needed with teapot steam, put the liner in just tucking it behind the sweatband, & good to go.
Oh yea - I have some Lexol wipes that I use on the sweatband after it dries to replace leather conditioners...

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
my first felt

i got my first felt today a royal stetson
15pfrxh.jpg

i couldnt help but notice mines the only one in this thread with the bow in the back should i get that changed?
i allready changed the bash
2442wif.jpg

something i never would have tried with out all the help you folks have given me so far.
i am worred about the bow on this ribbon.
is it hopplessly out of style?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld