Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

buler

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
buler said:
Here is a Portis Hunter with a distinctive ribbon treatment. I found the original ad (1938) for it too! Will add more pics in the Portis thread.

B

That is a great one! Looks like its in fantastic shape too.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks RLK. It could use a steam to get the old crease out of it. The felt is really interesting. At first I thought it was wool. Brushed up real nice.

B

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs Baku? 1920's?

4062644756_dfc368349a_o.jpg
4061790425_ed23d1a09f.jpg

Needs some shaping work. More in the Dobbs Diner thread.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Another attempt...

Scott Wood said:
I never go out without a lid but I needed something with a bit more rain/snow coverage so I got this Outback from the Broken Hill Collection in a really sharp green/blue grey...
seems I am unable to post photo LOL
Here goes at an attachment
2344705320105782846NegQZr

I like the lines (although a bad pic) and it sure keeps the damp off :)

Scott

Tooch

One of the Regulars
Stetson Flagship

I mentioned in the Ebay Hats thread that I lucked out and picked up a Stetson Flagship for a bargain price. Bidding fever was dampened a bit by confusion caused by two sets of measurements that contradicted each other. Well, I took a chance, gambled that the larger set (22" circumference) was accurate, and won.

The Flagship arrived in record time, and I'm happy to report that the larger measurement is accurate. I'm doubly lucky, since a peek under the sweatband reveals that the hat is clearly marked as a 7 -- a fact that, if included in the listing probably would have deterred me from bidding. I'm generally a small 7 1/8, and I'd rather pad a sweatband than try to get a hat stretched. As it is, it's a large 7 and fits perfectly -- not as tight as my Dobbs VVL, which is marked as 7 1/8.

Anyway, the hat arrived a bit dusty and squashed. Here it is after a naptha bath, brushing and return to an open crown.

IMG_0685.jpg

The hat has a 2 5/8" brim finished with an underwelt that has three lines of stitching. The crown comes out to about 5 1/4" when open. It's in remarkably good condition, despite a couple of minor moth tracks that I missed on first inspection and a slightly dry sweatband that I hit with Lexol.

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

I've put a preliminary bash in the hat until I decide what style really suits this lid.

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

The felt is really thick and dense -- it's a hat with a substantial feel to it. I'm looking at it as a cold-weather counterpart to my Dobbs VVL, which is a similar color in terms of both felt and ribbon.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tooch said:
I mentioned in the Ebay Hats thread that I lucked out and picked up a Stetson Flagship for a bargain price. Bidding fever was dampened a bit by confusion caused by two sets of measurements that contradicted each other. Well, I took a chance, gambled that the larger set (22" circumference) was accurate, and won.

Well done Tooch! I looked at that one and had it on my list but the size deal changed my mind about bidding. I am glad you got it; its a beauty! :eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

buler said:
Here is a Portis Hunter with a distinctive ribbon treatment. I found the original ad (1938) for it too! Will add more pics in the Portis thread.

B

hunter_3.jpg

That one looks immaculate, Buler! The ribbon treatment is classy! Nice catch!

Mr. Paladin

CRH said:
These two were waiting for me when I arrived home tonight.

A Whippet and a Mallory.

hpim1751.jpg

Those are both great looking hats, CRH. I really like the light color and ribbon contrast on the Whippet! :eusa_clap

Tooch

One of the Regulars
I've lucked out a couple of times on throw-the-dice bids that worked out in my favor. I'm just about due to win a Whippet and receive a propeller beanie in the mail.

Well done Tooch! I looked at that one and had it on my list but the size deal changed my mind about bidding. I am glad you got it; its a beauty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe