Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

billysmom

One Too Many
Borsalino Binge

I've overdone it a bit this week on Borsalinos. Details posted at the Borsalino Brotherhood.

FB.jpg

Roll-up with its own box!

TanBor.jpg

Women's unbelievably soft camel-colored velour!

Taupeborso5-1.jpg

Fine old taupe conventional fedora. (With an enormous box - not original to the hat.)

I'm basking in the glow, but waiting for the hangover .... ;)

Sue

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HarpPlayerGene said:
Well, I finally own a topper.

'Twas a local thrift store score for only $10-. Gotta' love that. I've wanted one of these since I was about seven years old but this one will probably only temporarily be in my collection.

A decent Dobbs, not incredibly old, I'd think. In good shape as far as the fur and the brim, but lacking a ribbon and an inside bow. Also showing some weird distorted portion on the wide leather sweatband which I hope to tame with Lexol, moisture and a hat jack.

The bad news/good news is that it is too big for me. No size information to be found but I estimate it at about 7-1/2 which may make this a good resale item once I've fixed up its deficiencies and brushed the fur to a high shine.

I'd really appreciate any ideas about the date of manufacture as well as any tips on getting a ribbon for/on it.

Thats a nice find, Gene. Has a Mary Poppins/Oliver Twist look to it. Too bad its too big for you. Show it to us again after you've done your magic.

billysmom

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
Well, I finally own a topper.

'Twas a local thrift store score for only $10-. Gotta' love that. I've wanted one of these since I was about seven years old but this one will probably only temporarily be in my collection.

A decent Dobbs, not incredibly old, I'd think. In good shape as far as the fur and the brim, but lacking a ribbon and an inside bow. Also showing some weird distorted portion on the wide leather sweatband which I hope to tame with Lexol, moisture and a hat jack.

The bad news/good news is that it is too big for me. No size information to be found but I estimate it at about 7-1/2 which may make this a good resale item once I've fixed up its deficiencies and brushed the fur to a high shine.

I'd really appreciate any ideas about the date of manufacture as well as any tips on getting a ribbon for/on it.

I love it, Gene! So unfortunate that you can't wear it, but this should spur your hunt for one that will.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

Mr. Paladin

billysmom said:
I've overdone it a bit this week on Borsalinos. Details posted at the Borsalino Brotherhood.

Taupeborso5-1.jpg

Fine old taupe conventional fedora. (With an enormous box - not original to the hat.)

Sue

Good shopping maam, but I think you'd better be careful wearing the first two. "They look a mite stingy from hyar", and that Disorderly Conduct statute still applies, though you might get away with a warning on that ladies model there also. :D

billysmom said:

TanBor.jpg

Women's unbelievably soft camel-colored velour!

Sue

All are super but I really like this velour (color and finish)!

billysmom

One Too Many
Disney Windsor 15!

"Good shopping maam, but I think you'd better be careful wearing the first two. "They look a mite stingy from hyar", and that Disorderly Conduct statute still applies, though you might get away with a warning on that ladies model there also."

All right, Mr. Palladin, sir. Yes, sir. You are correct, sir. I'm skirting the ragged hairy edges of the statute.

How about this? Just arrived after some shipping mishaps involving torn labels and return-to-sender:

D7.jpg
[/QUOTE]​

Brim measures a generous 2 1/4" with a Cavanagh edge!

More to be posted on the Disney Diner.

Sue

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
billysmom said:

Brim measures a generous 2 1/4" with a Cavanagh edge!

More to be posted on the Disney Diner.

Sue[/QUOTE]

That is a seriously beautiful hat and you look ravishing in it!! All girls named Sue should wear fedoras. If only I could convince my gal that wearing a good fedora is also a cool girl-thing to do.. I just have to show her all the pictures you posted. Her name is Sue by the way..:)

billysmom

One Too Many
djgo-cat-go said:
[/CENTER]

That is a seriously beautiful hat and you look ravishing in it!! All girls named Sue should wear fedoras. If only I could convince my gal that wearing a good fedora is also a cool girl-thing to do.. I just have to show her all the pictures you posted. Her name is Sue by the way..:)

Thank you, kind sir. Once I saw the difference in quality between men's fedoras and hats built for women there was no contest. Fine men's fedoras are the clear winner. Women named Sue know this.;)

Sue

buler

I'll Lock Up
Went to a new area today and found a few things. The boater is a mint Dobbs with a fantastic ribbon, the other straw is a no-name that came in the Stevens box I wanted, the dark brown fedora is a Portis Velvet-Tex and the cream fedora is a never worn but minor moth bitten Mallory Ten. The Portis has an interesting loop thru stitched brim that I think I've seen on the lounge before (maybe RLK had one like that?).

B

hats.jpg

BobC

We're in Chicago for the weekend, and we made the pilgrimage to Optimo this afternoon. IC predicted what would come of it, and he predicted absolutely correctly. In about six weeks or so, there will be an oxblood Optimo arriving at our house. I'll have pics of the adventure when I get home, but I forgot the cable for my camera. Needless to say, there was so much candy there, I almost lost my mind. I tried on a milan, a montecristi, about a dozen felts, even a homberg. I'll say this, there is a difference in what they have to offer there. Really beautiful lids everywhere I looked.

RBH

Bartender
BobC said:
We're in Chicago for the weekend, and we made the pilgrimage to Optimo this afternoon. IC predicted what would come of it, and he predicted absolutely correctly. In about six weeks or so, there will be an oxblood Optimo arriving at our house. I'll have pics of the adventure when I get home, but I forgot the cable for my camera. Needless to say, there was so much candy there, I almost lost my mind. I tried on a milan, a montecristi, about a dozen felts, even a homberg. I'll say this, there is a difference in what they have to offer there. Really beautiful lids everywhere I looked.
:eek:

cant wait!!!!

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
Nice. What color is it? Is that a pearl gray?

Its called Snow. Its looks pure white in the sun but it isn't. I'm going to take a comparison next to a piece of white paper tomorrow to show the color better.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Finally got these two in the mail and also found a beauty on my way to a haircut. The hat on the left is an unworn Penneys Marathon with the tri-color (felt, ribbon, brim binding all different) thing going on like a Lee Trinity. The hat in the middle is a grey Courtney made for Harry Levinsons. Its a thin ribbon with a no liner stamped crown. Last but not least is an all black Dobbs. Was really hoping for 2 more boxes today but that will have to wait until Monday.....

B

hats2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe