Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Looks good, Dixon.

Here's my Nostalgia with a new ribbon treatment and bound edge. The work was done by Jimmy Pierce.

3239981426_30c5d28bea.jpg

ninjabathy

New in Town
Nice lines!

Dixon, that hat's got beautiful lines. I love the sweep of the brim. With my hat, if anything was out/unchanged, it's the back of the brim. There're a lot of hat-bashing tutorials out there, but I can't get my head round how to shape the brim as changing one section just distorts the other (on mine, I've just snapped the front down). Could anyone offer any advice on how I could create a more rounded curve to the rear of my brim like on Dixon's hat without flattening out the sides of the brim? Ideally, I'd like a touch more of a curve in the sides too, but I reckon I'd probably end up with a kind of pinch in the brim if I did that. Is it just the cut of the brim i.e. for it to look right, would I need more material in some places and less in the other?

If this is off-topic, please move it, but I'd love to know! Cheers guys. :)

ninjabathy

New in Town
I just found out the Stetson Nostaligia's open crown like my Federation (I'm ignorant, I know)... Dixon, did you just snap the pre-shaped brim down, or did you shape the rear at all?

Thanks. J

toobacat

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
Well Jeebers. That's the first picture of the much-debated Nostalgia that has made me want one. That looks fantastic on you!

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it. It has a real vintage look to it.

Dixon

New in Town
You guys are so kind! Thanks for the enthusiasim. I like that I'm not alone in this geeky passion we share.

As for how I shaped the hat, I worked the crown first with it on my head to make sure it stayed centered. Then, once I had it shaped enough and had set the front pinch I just snapped the front down. I did a little work on the front after that, but never touched the rear.

Here's a pic of the back:

That's pretty much the way it came. It may help that the hat is a solid oval shape and my head is a long oval as well.

Hope this is heartening to folks who have doubts. I really like this hat!

D

carter

I'll Lock Up
Dixon said:
Oh, and Carter, I love how yours turned out!
Great taste on the ribbon.
D
Thanks, Dixon. Seeing two posted on the same day gives plenty of room for comparison. I like the entire look of your Nostalgia so much that I may have to get another one! :)

Just arrived last night...

This is a vintage OR that I went all in on because of the VERY nice one I got from same seller/same estate. Although not in the prestine shape as the first one, it is in great shape for what appears to be a 1940's model, 3X Stetson Open Road. It has a very wide 3" brim that makes it pretty western, or right on the brink. It has the wind trolley still & the felt is very nice, some dirt on the edge binding that'll get cleaned up. Will post my photos when I get new batteries for camera...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=150322328688

ninjabathy

New in Town
Sorted!

Thanks for the reply, Dixon, it's what I guessed. I've just done a wee bit more shaping on my brim, and I'm happy with it now, so I'm gonna leave it! I just started the roll a little further in on each side, making the sides a little higher and snapping the brim down the slightest bit more. The sides now lead straight into the curve at the back now, so the sweep's still a bit flatter than yours, but I think it'll probably suit me better that way anyway! It's too subtle to notice from all but a few angles, so I won't post another piccie (I just didn't want a standard brim hehehe).

Hat done!

probably lol

Ciao for now! J ;)

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dixon & carter--:eusa_clap Those Nostalgia's look great!:eusa_clap The crown on yours from the side is superb, Dixon. And carter, Mr. Pierce did a wonderful job on that ribbon and edge binding.

I think Stetsons are on the way back. Now I want one of them too.....

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
Hat Head The other was a bessemer (charcoal grey) "Adventurer" said:
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii183/abrantowens/100_0785.jpg[/IMG]

QUOTE]

I have a Christy's fedora but that Adventurer looks as if it has a higher crown (I hope).Do you have to ask them for the edge binding? The hats, especially the Adventurer look great, btw.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Just got my Bailey Briar Safari Fedora, great day to wear it as it was 10 degrees when I left the house this morning......

foek2x.jpg

Comes in 4 different colors:
As you can see their picture is a bit on the light side as far as the colors.
25i8y7q.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Shudde Bros Deluxe Beaver

Jimmy Pierce showed me a beat-up, dirty Shudde Bros Deluxe Beaver hat the last time I visited his shop. This is wonderful felt, very soft and supple. I asked JP to clean and reblock it. Here is the result.
3241791293_f8bc77e3bb.jpg
3241792769_dfc984e3cd.jpg
3242666354_30206fdff0.jpg

As you can see, the felt is somewhat mottled. This is partially the result of dye loss in cleaning. Therefore, the color variances in the beaver felt are noticeable. Also, the age of the hat and it's previous use are factors. Still, this is a lovely felt, not stiff at all, and easily shaped by hand. So, I decided to open the crown and try a fedora bash. Here is the result.
3241849499_6c98e56c59.jpg
3242705670_9aa5f792f3.jpg
3241862489_a770e1155b.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
Thrift Shop Fedora Find

I found this today at the thrift shop for five bucks ($4.99, to be exact). I don't know anything about the brand, but it seems to be pretty decent quality. The felt is quite soft and velvety. Aside from being dusty when I got it, it's otherwise clean and appears to have seen very little wear - no staining on the sweatband and liner. The color is midnight blue, but I've lightened it a bit in the photos to show detail. Oh - and it fits me perfectly.

BlueFedora2cr.jpg

BlueFedora3cr.jpg

BlueFedora4cr.jpg

BlueFedora5cr.jpg

BlueFedora7cr.jpg

duggap

Banned
I agree with Frykitty, you got a fine hat if it is older. It looks like it will be a terrific appearing hat. In case it is my size, I know where you can triple your money.:p :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld