Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Mr. Paladin said:
gtdean48, that is a really superb crease in the crown of that Stetson. I do not recall seeing a shape quite like that before as most teardrops seem rounder at the top. Excellent handwork.
Thanks Paladin, I was going for long side dents & it just sort of worked out like this. I used a spray bottle with distiled water to get the felt maleable & went at it...

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
panama jack said:
My question is, do you think this hat will shrink down to a 59? If not this one might be up for sale soon. My other problem is it's slightly darker that I was hoping for but I thought the moonstone might be too light. If the hat does shrink to fit my head I can live with the color.

Thank you in advance for your comments.
pj

I think its quite likely that your Stylemaster will shrink a little over time. Everything I have read about Akubras state that its better to get the hat a little large, and use felt strips, as all Akubras do shrink a little with wear. I've had my Stylemaster for just about two months, and I can tell it has shrunk a bit; I'm debating taking the felt strips out from behind the sweat now.

I'd say give it some time; especially if you like wearing it. If it doesn't begin to conform and feel more snug and comfortable on you, you can always offer it for sale here later on.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
donCarlos said:
Once again I stormed my favourite second hand shop, this time I saw and bought this one: (it´s lighter than on the photo, I couldn´t take a good photograph in this light)

2009_01250003.jpg

Brand is unknown (traditionally German, but the only inscriptions inside are "Feiner Haarhut". It´s made of the stiffest felt I have ever seen, but it was in great shape, it needed only brushing and forming the front pinch of the brim. I don´t think it looks great on me, but it´s not so bad.

That's a clean-looking, stylish hat, doncarlos. good find!

panama jack

One of the Regulars
ScionPI2005 said:
I think its quite likely that your Stylemaster will shrink a little over time. Everything I have read about Akubras state that its better to get the hat a little large, and use felt strips, as all Akubras do shrink a little with wear. I've had my Stylemaster for just about two months, and I can tell it has shrunk a bit; I'm debating taking the felt strips out from behind the sweat now.

I'd say give it some time; especially if you like wearing it. If it doesn't begin to conform and feel more snug and comfortable on you, you can always offer it for sale here later on.

Scion,
Thank you for your comments.
I wore it out for the first time last night and it really didn't feel that bad with the felt under the sweatband. I'm going to give it some time san see if it shrinks. Hopefully I can eventually take the felt out.
I reall need to get some pictures with me wearing my new hats so you guys can give me your opinions.

pj

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Two arrivals today...

First up, Stetson Open Road won on Ebay, came with a cattleman style crease:

DSC00351.jpg

converted with no steam or water to a fedora:

DSC00352.jpg

DSC00355.jpg

Second, a very dark brown guild edge Dobbs:

DSC00353.jpg

DSC00354.jpg

N. :)

nickn5

One of the Regulars
carter said:
:arated: :arated: Ditto. Now we need to see it on your noggin.

Nice Dobbs as well.

Thanks all, I'll post a pic asap, once the slight stretch is completed successfully... watch this space.

N. :)

buler

I'll Lock Up
Found my 2nd hat. Got a Stetson Brush in Silverbelly off craigslist for $10.00. The drawback was 2 ink marks under the brim. I made a new thread explaining how I removed the ink.

Bill

3223889574_ff883e8d3e_o.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
nickn5:
I have that same Dobbs version. The brown is, yes, very dark but also with a sort of burgundy or deep purple cast to it, right?

buler:
That's a Stetson I'm unfamiliar with - but if I ran across one in my size for only $10.00 I'd get to know one myself. Looks great.

Garrett:
Another beauty. I have three Hanover Squares and you are right; they are almost exact Whippet clones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe